Cable Modem -> USB -> Router?

Can you connect a router to a cable modem using USB instead of the usual ethernet ?

Thanks!

[QUOTE=Kweldood;2446299]Can you connect a router to a cable modem using USB instead of the usual ethernet ?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

You can but remember you will lower your transfer speed. And most NIC cards are inexpensive nowdays so why one would go to USB is hard to see. Ethernet is the way to go nowdays USB was in the back days but anywhere you go its ethernet connections. Even motherboards nowdays come with one or two ethernet connections. Is there a reason you don’t want ethernet??

Thanks, man. I just needed to know if it works as that will affect my buying decision to bother about getting a router which includes an USB port.

I’ll be using ethernet primarily, of course, but being on cable and having a lazy ISP’s DHCP server, sometimes switching to USB is the fastest way to force the modem to get a new IP.

[QUOTE=Kweldood;2446299]Can you connect a router to a cable modem using USB instead of the usual ethernet ?[/QUOTE]Normally not. There may exist some exotic devices, but you should read its manual befor you go and buy such a thingy.

Some modern routers do have USB ports, but these are intended to be connected to printers or storage devices.

Michael

I feared that. I’m talking about regular routers from common brands, nothing exotic of any sort.

From what I understand, depending on what firmware you use there’s some configurability towards what you can connect to the USB port… could this actually be extended to modem-to-router connectivity ?

coolcolors, are you positive about that “you can” ? Have you used or seen something like this in use before ?

Thanks again.

[QUOTE=Kweldood;2446519]I feared that. I’m talking about regular routers from common brands, nothing exotic of any sort. [/quote]These will require a LAN connection to the modem.

From what I understand, depending on what firmware you use there’s some configurability towards what you can connect to the USB port… could this actually be extended to modem-to-router connectivity ?
Normally not. Some routers have a built-in print server or file server that allow sharing a printer or a storage device which is connected to the USB port.

For your purpose - getting a new IP from your ISP - wouldn’t it be enough to just shutdown and restart the modem?

Michael

The quickest way to get a new IP is to just unplug you modem and then replug it
back into the power source and let it reset itself.

He he, I wish. No, DHCP leases are quite persistent on my access… I’ve had the same IP for weeks in a row sometimes, and rebooting the modem or even letting it unplugged for a number of hours (which I often can’t do) doesn’t change it. It’s not the same as with the average xDSL based connection, where that would instantly get you a new IP.

Have you tried resetting the modem from it’s control applet? Most modems are at 192.168.100.1 …

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2446630]Have you tried resetting the modem from it’s control applet? Most modems are at 192.168.100.1 …[/QUOTE]

or if you can find the hardware reset button on the model some have them accessible if you can locate it. But as anything read your manual that is where most if not many help can come from.