Cable Co claims highly inflated metered bandwidth billing helps the poor

Cable Co claims highly inflated metered bandwidth billing helps the poor.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2010/12/wdPN4r.jpg[/newsimage]With the FCC preparing to vote on Net Neutrality rules later this month, the cable companies and internet service providers have begun talking about how their pricing models might change if the rules are passed. 

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/cableco-metered-billing-helps-the-poor-37341/](http://www.myce.com/news/cableco-metered-billing-helps-the-poor-37341/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Oh yeah the cable companies will say anything as long as there is money to be
made and looks like they will sure enough be ripping people off. :doh:

… limited amount of bandwidth per month, but then would subject the customer to high, “multi-thousand percent markup over cost”, per-gigabyte overage fees…

So they want to follow the Cell Phone model?

These guys are sounding like the mobile fone companies. You have a smart fone?? Then you have to have this compulsory $20 / dataplan regardless of how little data you use…

The marketplace determines the value of any commodity, which is what bandwidth is. The cablecos can rant all they want about what it’s worth but if nobody buys it - it’s worth nothing. What they really want is the “overage fees” like the cell phone cos use to gouge customers.

So, tiered bandwidth plans are fine, and customers will decide what any given tier is worth. But the gouging for overage needs to be watched pretty closely by regulators, and customers need to receive a warning before it gets charged.

[QUOTE=CDan;2561358]The marketplace determines the value of any commodity, which is what bandwidth is. The cablecos can rant all they want about what it’s worth but if nobody buys it - it’s worth nothing. What they really want is the “overage fees” like the cell phone cos use to gouge customers.

So, tiered bandwidth plans are fine, and customers will decide what any given tier is worth. But the gouging for overage needs to be watched pretty closely by regulators, and customers need to receive a warning before it gets charged.[/QUOTE]

They already have tiered bandwidth plans. I think Qwest offers six tiers: 1.5, 3, 7,12, 20, and 40 Mb/second services. I don’t think that’s what this is talking about. Rather, this is moving to a system like cell phone companies use, where you pay so much per 100 Mb of data downloaded, rather than bandwidth, isn’t it? Which would suck big time.

[QUOTE=BradWright;2561576]They already have tiered bandwidth plans. I think Qwest offers six tiers: 1.5, 3, 7,12, 20, and 40 Mb/second services. I don’t think that’s what this is talking about. Rather, this is moving to a system like cell phone companies use, where you pay so much per 100 Mb of data downloaded, rather than bandwidth, isn’t it? Which would suck big time.[/QUOTE]
You mean, the same as the rest of the world … right?

[QUOTE=debro;2561579]You mean, the same as the rest of the world … right?[/QUOTE]

Most countries in europe have an unlimited data plan…unlimited bandwith…for a fixed price, so it’s not like the rest of the world.

[QUOTE=cycomiko;2561598]Most countries in europe have an unlimited data plan…unlimited bandwith…for a fixed price, so it’s not like the rest of the world.[/QUOTE]

Maybe Comcast could off load all the work to some third world country and they could send the service back cheaper? Comcast service , in this area, is so bad and expensive already, one tree limb and their service is gone, no matter how much they scrimp and scrounge, their doomed. Doomed I say, DOOMED.:smiley:

hey Zathros glad to see you back I’ve got comcast and the fees goes up just about every month pretty soon their going to price me out but love the high speed.Their billing sucks too I get my statement 3-4 days before it’s due and we have to scramble to get it in the mail.And the statement they have universal connectivity charge-peg fee-FCC regulatory fee-state fee-digital voice fee-911 fee-franchise fee-modem lease fee-wholly crap what is this.
I should feel lucky I can afford it right now but may not if it doesn’t keep going up it price.

[QUOTE=marloyd;2561635]hey Zathros glad to see you back I’ve got comcast and the fees goes up just about every month pretty soon their going to price me out but love the high speed.Their billing sucks too I get my statement 3-4 days before it’s due and we have to scramble to get it in the mail.And the statement they have universal connectivity charge-peg fee-FCC regulatory fee-state fee-digital voice fee-911 fee-franchise fee-modem lease fee-wholly crap what is this.
I should feel lucky I can afford it right now but may not if it doesn’t keep going up it price.[/QUOTE]

Hey marlyoyd, it’s good to be back. Comcast Cable definitely is fast. I envy my friends who have it, until they tell me how much it cost. 2 of my friends dumped it last month. Comcast should go the volume route. They have a good thing and could get many more subscribers if they weren’t trying to drain them of every cent.

How much do you pay per month for comcast services (and what do they include)?
I pay 25 euros per month for phone and internet up to 24 Mb/s (although my d/l speeds are closer to 15 Mb/s) with unlimited bandwith.

Comcast charges: 12 Mbps. costs $59.95 (U.S.$) 1.5 Mbps costs $41.95 (U.S.), bundled with phone would costs a heckuva a lot more, considering how much more those services compared to AT&T.

Thru AT&T I get 3 cellphones with 4000 mins. (Unlimited after 6 p.m. free), Unlimited Home phone No long distant charges 24 hours a day, Satellite with DVR for 2 TV’s (records 100 hours, 120 channels) and DSL Internet with wireless Modem. all for $209 a month. (U.S.).

I think this is a pretty good deal and have not been able to match it. I have tried with all other carriers but none even come close. I have been with some version of AT&T since 1977. I have been told that my continued patronage gets me these rates. I don’t know if that’s true but I know others on AT&T that say they pay more than me. Who knows.

[QUOTE=cycomiko;2561711]How much do you pay per month for comcast services (and what do they include)?
I pay 25 euros per month for phone and internet up to 24 Mb/s (although my d/l speeds are closer to 15 Mb/s) with unlimited bandwith.[/QUOTE]

I’m in Michigan in U.S… and have the 3 bundle -thats tv ,Phone and internet and I’m paying $152.98 u.s. dollars,next month it will be higher I sure would hate losting the high speed