CAB Files

:bow:

Hi,

Just a quick ‘newb’ question. I was wanting to extract the contents of the CAB files on the Unreal 2 CD. WinRAR can’t do this so I was wondering what software will?

Thanks everyone.

NinjaBeaver

AFAIK WinAce can (www.winace.com)

i believe winzip will also. At least it does with windows .cab files.

Also WinRar

:cool:

files on the Unreal 2 CD. WinRAR can’t do this so I was…

I can’t verify this but it would seem like it would, maybe a setting is wrong or there’s some corrupt data.

I have seen this on many game CDs…I would assume it is some sort of archive, but only the setup programs seem to be able to correctly extract the contents.

originally posted by BadReligionPR
I have seen this on many game CDs…I would assume it is some sort of archive, but only the setup programs seem to be able to correctly extract the contents.

thats right i’ve tried many times to extract the cab files of my games and there’s no way to get them to extract, only the set up proggy seems able to do it.

Originally posted by slayerking

thats right i’ve tried many times to extract the cab files of my games and there’s no way to get them to extract, only the set up proggy seems able to do it.
There is always a way. :wink:

Ok. After doing a little research I found this:

There are 2 types of .cab files:

• Microsoft .cab files
  • InstallShield .cab files

They have a different structure.

Microsoft’s cabinet files can be opened and extracted with WinZip, but you cannot add or remove files.

InstallShield cabinet files require an .hdr file and can only be handled with i5comp / i6comp (This is what you need).

:cool:

i know there is :wink: but wasn’t sure enough to say what is needed

They certainly don’t make it easy. Here’s an instruction manual of sorts for iComp6 (download links are on the page too)
http://www.myplc.com/sony/i6comp_howto.htm

Ok im having trouble with data2 cab file on cd 2 of generals, after i have copied the image to me hdd from my “LIGIT” cd.One of the files in the cab is corrupt but the others are fine.
My cd is slightly damaged and wont install properly with install shield when trying to install second cd,which seems to be a corrupt file in the data2 cab.
i can usin winrar and winzip extract the cab,all files except the corrupt one.
I did manage to find the same 10 meg file off a file sharing program to replace the corrupt file,so i can make a new cab file putting all the other files i extracted out of the original cab including the new file i dloaded that replaced the corrupt one.
I have tried numerous cab file makers that i used to make and replace the original data2 cab file with.
In theory i thought this should work :confused:
But when i put it as a replacement for the original data2.cab back in the iso (using winiso) and install mounting it with the mighty daemon, it will only install the first file and or the second file then stop sayin it cant find the next file.
Im just trying to repair my damaged cd,if worse comes to worse i my have to dowload the cd from somewhere because i dont want to buy a second copy of it.

• i have tried many cab file builders and they have not produced for me a full working installing data2 cab replacement…
  • Has anyone tried making a replacement cab in a game before and having installshield install it correctly?
  • I used ms cab format because thats all i thiink it is on the 2nd cd.
  • Or do i need a installshield cab file maker of some sort?
  • if anyone knows a different or better way of doin it please let me know?..or am i just waistin my time?? :a

thanx…

You can use ZipScan to extract InstallShield CAB files.
Install the program, and select ‘Open Archive’ from the file menu.
Choose the CAB file and then select one or more files in the list to extract.

You can download ZipScan from:
http://www.foobarsoftware.com