C1/C2 test question

I just ran an error rest using the Plextor Premium and Plextools. I first tested an 80 minute audio disc made with the Plextor drive(using Plextools) and then tested a disc made with my previous burner(Lite-On LTR-52327S). I am amazed at the difference in errors. The media used was the same on both.

Plextor c1= 2,300 c2=0 cu=0
Lite on c1=13,821 c2=71 cu=0

My question is how significant these rates are. I don’t know what’s acceptable. I am also wondering if rates like 13,821 are audible?

Am I wasting my time on this issue?

All media will display C1 errors to some degree. Most errors are on the inner or outer edge due to manufacturing quality. C2 errors indicate that there was additional error correction needed to recover the data. You generally should have few, if any, C2 errors on a recording. Too many indicate poor media (most comom) or a recorder problem.

The Premium definitely wrote a better disc, but your Lite-On disc doesn’t have a lot of C2’s and no CUs, so should be okay if handled/stored properly. Remember that fingerprints, scratches, etc will cause errors, and if you’re starting with marginal media, it won’t take a lot to become unreadable.

Thanks, that helps explain a lot for me. I appreciate it.

Originally posted by jreed

I am amazed at the difference in errors. The media used was the same on both.

My question is how significant these rates are.
This subject was discussed last year right after the Premium release.
Search for ‘Q-Check C1/C2 Test’ and you’ll find many of those answers.