C++ programming in windows

I’m a programming beginner and i wonder if you guys know any good sites with guides and examples and such for beginners programming windows in c++

Hi there mr Duck :slight_smile:

From my experiences as a C/C++ programmer I have to advise you to get a book. It could be an electronic books. I always use KaZaa to find some free books on things like these.

Please check the other thread about programming C++ here. You better first look at the IDE you want to use before you buy a book.

Some good books I have here at home are “C++ in a Classroom”, “C++ in 21 days” and “C++ in 24 hours”.

I got that 24 hr one too, they cost about 30-40 dollars. So an alternative is use one of those online tutorials, which is ok since there are even pdf versions available for download of course.

Here’s a basic google search

I have to agree with Dee-ehn.

A book is a better choice, and not an ebook though (unless you print it out).
Tell you why.
You don’t want to be switching back and forth between your compiling and your ebook or website for info and stuff your following as a guide or example.
Also it is harder to go back to when reviewing and such.
Sure you can bookmark and do all sorts of things, but nothing beats a good book and your own hand written notes.
One gets tired of reading off the PC monitor and you might get turned off faster this way too.

Taking that into account, you can’t learn everything off just the books. Try either going to an IT school or even some smaller weekend type of intro courses for a good start.

Anyhow, just a thought and good luck with that.

do you want beginners programming for windows, or beginners programming in a windows environment? here is a class webpage with lots of pdf’s that are pretty informative, about pretty basic concepts in c++

http://www-courses.cs.uiuc.edu/~cs225/cs225/_nav/_framepage/notesPage.html

thanks for the help guys it’s good to hear about other people’s experiences.

If you want to master C/C++ programming for Windows, I would strongly recommend Charles Petzold’s Programming Windows (Latest Edition - I think its 5). I have used this book right through my Master’s course in Windows programming. It is pretty to the point - written by the guru Petzold himself and covers most concepts of Windows and windows Programming. Highly recommended. There’s also an online version available (CHM format) but I dont know wheteher its legal to download it.

Happy programming :slight_smile:

Some good books I have here at home are “C++ in a Classroom”, “C++ in 21 days” and “C++ in 24 hours”.

personally hate 21 days & 24 hours series.

they are good for nothing.

just my opinion.

Originally posted by dvd@cd
[B]
personally hate 21 days & 24 hours series.

they are good for nothing.[/B]

Same here. Those books are too broad and do not give as much detail as they should.
:Z

i learned c++ watching lecture videos and reading pdf’s about pointers. if you already have any kind of programming experience, then its not a big step to learn c++.

Originally posted by cmr2003x
[B]

Same here. Those books are too broad and do not give as much detail as they should.
:Z

[/B]

One you understand the structure of a programming language, the help files of the IDE you are using come in handy… no more books needed… (sometimes when you I info I can’t find in the help, I just use Google or MSDN)…