C_dilla

vbimport

Hi Guys,

Its very late and I have spent most of my day trying to correct a very stupid act.

I use Clean 5 which was put out by Pinnacle (legit purchased and registered). Today I purchased the MP3 patch from the steinberg site and installed it - Like an idiot. Prior to installation my Lite-on SHW-160P6S worked fine. After installation the only files I can burn are data and pic files; no music files at all.

I found a directory on my C: drive called C_Dilla. I used add/remove programs to uninstalled the C_Dilla/Macrovision installation that I found there.

I suspect that the installation has buggered my Drive and turned it into a paperweight but before I rip it out I would really appreciate some advice about what I could possibly do to rescue my drive.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Wally
17 April 2006

That’s weird… perhaps you need to reinstall the SO to cure the issue.

Corbus,

Yes, weird is an appropriate adjective. But I have been working on the problem and have found something very bemusing.

I updated the firmware for the drive and decided to test it. I used Nero, the same project that I had problems with before and it was still a no go; so I tried compiling another project using the music in ‘My Music’ and, would you believe it, it was all gone, not a single track remained in the folder.

Fortunately, I had it all backed up and restored everything then made up a compilation. Burned to CD beautifully, not a problem.

Seems to me that there was something installed on my system when I downloaded the MP3 Patch for ‘Steinberg Clean 5’ from www.element5.com and it seeked out and deleted the music and then installed some sort of copy protection into the music compilation that I was trying to burn via ‘Clean 5’.
Element5 is a security firm that provides solutions to the music industry - perhaps this is their latest solution!!!

Needless to say, I have uninstalled the Steinburg software, never to be used again.

Cheers

Wally

I doubt that. You may have inserted a copy protected media - logged on as user with administrative permissions and autorun/autoplay on. Your fault.

Element5 is a security firm that provides solutions to the music industry - perhaps this is their latest solution!!!
No. They offer services to buy shareware licenses.

Needless to say, I have uninstalled the Steinburg software, never to be used again.
If you really think, that Steinberg software messed up your system, you should ask their support department for advice. Steinberg has a good reputation, they can’t afford doing these things you blame them for.

Michael