Yes, weird is an appropriate adjective. But I have been working on the problem and have found something very bemusing.
I updated the firmware for the drive and decided to test it. I used Nero, the same project that I had problems with before and it was still a no go; so I tried compiling another project using the music in 'My Music' and, would you believe it, it was all gone, not a single track remained in the folder.
Fortunately, I had it all backed up and restored everything then made up a compilation. Burned to CD beautifully, not a problem.
Seems to me that there was something installed on my system when I downloaded the MP3 Patch for 'Steinberg Clean 5' from www.element5.com and it seeked out and deleted the music and then installed some sort of copy protection into the music compilation that I was trying to burn via 'Clean 5'.
Element5 is a security firm that provides solutions to the music industry - perhaps this is their latest solution!!!
Needless to say, I have uninstalled the Steinburg software, never to be used again.