C&C Generals Zero Hour Backup Help

I’ve tried searching the forums for help on this, but have been unable to find a definitive answer, so here goes:

I’ve tried backing up my copy of Generals Zero Hour on my LiteOn 52x24x52 using CloneCD 4.2.0.2 with the SafeDisc 2 (No AWS) Profile found elsewhere in this forum (no, I do not have Virtual CloneDrive installed). Unfortunately, when I try to run the game with the backup, I get a critical error that halts the game before it even starts (I do not get the same error when I put my original in).

What software/version and settings should I use? I’d prefer to not need Hide CDR Media enabled, but I can live with it if there’s no way around it. Thanks for your help!

The game that you’re trying to copy is safedisc 2.9 protected and CloneCD cannot reliably produce working copies of sd 2.8+ with a Lite-on writer.

Make sure that what you’re trying to copy is an original and not a working copy (secondary and subsequent copying of sd 2.9 cds is much more difficult than with previous versions of safedisc ) and try alcohol, blindwrite, discdump/ fireburner or discjuggler.

Hide cdr media will not help as it’s blacklisted by sd 2.9 so make sure it’s disabled. If you need an atip hiding utility because you want to play the copy from a writer, either use alcohol’s Ignore media type or, if you use blindwrite to make your copy, use autoplay.

I tried burning it again with Alcohol 120% 1.4.3 Build 518 using SafeDisc 2 settings, but I’m getting the exact same problem. I am using my original (not CDR) copy when I make the image. I am trying to run the game on my laptop’s DVD/CDRW drive, with Alcohol’s Hide Media Type enabled and CCD’s HIde CDR Media disabled.

Are there different settings I should try, or would I be better off trying one of those other programs? If I use BlindWrite, should I use the latest, or 4.2.5 (which is the best for SecuRom New, I understand)? Also, if I do use BlindWrite, is it 100% necessary for me to use autoplay? Using autoplay when burning means it won’t run on a system without BlindWrite installed, right?

I am trying to run the game on my laptop’s DVD/CDRW drive

Try uninstalling clonecd to get rid of the hidecdr media or disable it completely one or the other, and is alcohol installed on your laptop? if not then you need to install alcohol on your laptop and enable ignore media type.

Using autoplay when burning means it won’t run on a system without BlindWrite installed, right?
technically yes but VSO has an auto-play filter that you can instal instead of the entire app.

> I tried burning it again with Alcohol 120% 1.4.3 Build 518 using SafeDisc 2 settings.

Try using safedisc 1 settings (i.e. Bypass efm error disabled) as they are preferable for your writer.

> Also, if I do use BlindWrite, is it 100% necessary for me to use autoplay?

It shouldn’t be necessary if you want to run the copy from an ordinary cd/dvd rom but you’ll need to use it if you want to run the copy from a writer (which I presume is all you have on your laptop).

> Using autoplay when burning means it won’t run on a system without BlindWrite installed, right?

Not quite. You’ll need either blindwrite or the stand-alone autoplay filter installed though to run an autoplay copy.

Bucho,

Philamber has a lot more experience with the burners and software than I will ever have. That being said though, I was able to copy Zero Hour.

I have a Lite-on 40x12x48 and successfully backed up Zero Hour with Clone CD. I used the profile posted in the Clone CD section and had no trouble. I do not know if I have a rare Lite-on that is able to copy safedisc 2.9 or I just got very lucky.

All can tell you for sure is it can be done. What the success rate is I have no idea.

Originally posted by dt05928
I have a Lite-on 40x12x48 and successfully backed up Zero Hour with Clone CD. I used the profile posted in the Clone CD section and had no trouble. I do not know if I have a rare Lite-on that is able to copy safedisc 2.9 or I just got very lucky.

40x Liteys can copy sd 2.9 successfully (with any of alcohol, blindwrite or discdump/fireburner). However, it’s hit or miss whether they can do it with clonecd or discjuggler.

Whilst I have no idea what percentage can do it with ccd, it’s at least a significant minority so, whilst you have had some luck, I wouldn’t say that you were very lucky.

Afaik, clonecd does not read pregap (which is needed for sd 2.9). So, I think backup would work only in a drive that is not able to read pregap.

Originally posted by Andareed
Afaik, clonecd does not read pregap
I concluded that it did but it is hardware dependent. My CloneCD SD2.9x backups that work are written using the same hardware that works in DiscJuggler … which is, in itself a test for reading the pregap as a DJ SD2 backup either works or it doesn’t.

Still no luck. I updated to the latest version of Alcohol 120% (1.46.711) and uninstalled CloneCD on both the desktop (which I’m burning with), and my laptop (which I’m trying to play the game on, with a DVD/CDRW Combo drive).

I’ve tried burning with the default SafeDisc and SafeDisc 2 profiles, using my LiteOn LTR-52246S. When I try to run the game on my laptop with Ignore Media Type enabled, I get the “generals.exe has encountered a problem and needs to be closed” error. Other than starting from square one with different burning software, is there anything else I can do?

Maybe I’m wrong on this, but it appears Alcohol’s SafeDisc and SafeDisc 2 profiles are identical for both reading and writing…I don’t notice any difference in the settings when I try them. Anyone know anything about this?

Also, if I might ask a question slightly off subject, does it matter what format I read the disc image to with Alcohol? I’ve tried .mds and .iso. Is there any impact on the accuracy when burning the image? (I suppose I’d prefer to read to .iso format, where it only makes a single file, but is there any disadvantage to doing so?)

If you are living the states, bypass efm option will be unavailable. With your burner, you should always use safedisc (not safedisc2) datatype for reading and writing.

ISO format will only store a single track, and won’t store sub-channel data. Mds/mdf will store ‘everything’ possible in a cd.

Originally posted by FutureProof
I concluded that it did but it is hardware dependent. My CloneCD SD2.9x backups that work are written using the same hardware that works in DiscJuggler … which is, in itself a test for reading the pregap as a DJ SD2 backup either works or it doesn’t.

Hmm, as is often the case, we’ve come up with different results using similar equipment.

SD 2.9 with Asus CRW-5224A-

• using dj - yes.

• using ccd - no.

Looks like we’re still getting our hardware from different planets. :bigsmile:

You can’t get a working Unleashed from CCD?

@FutureProof: If you look at first 16 bytes of img file, you can see if pregap is present. If these bytes are 00FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF0000020001, then pregap is not present. If it is 00FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF0000000001 then full pregap is present.

Originally posted by Andareed
@FutureProof: If you look at first 16 bytes of img file, you can see if pregap is present. If these bytes are 00FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF0000020001, then pregap is not present. If it is 00FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF0000000001 then full pregap is present.
I’m a physicist not a computer geek. If dy/dx e^x doesn’t equal e^x, I’m screwed. I’m not sure that Clone writes that pattern anyway.

Originally posted by FutureProof
You can’t get a working Unleashed from CCD?

Well, actually I use NFSHP 2 as my test sd 2.8 cd and Devastation as my test sd 2.9 cd.

Anyway, can’t do either with my Asus using ccd (can do either with any of dj, ddump/fireburner or alcohol).

[Actually, can’t do anything with the Asus right now coz it’s on the fritz. Won’t recognise blank cdrs (will recognise cdrws) and, since it’s still under warranty, I’ve sent it back for repair/replacement. It’ll probably be the latter since they’re so cheap right now that it won’t be worth anyone’s time to fix it. Indeed, had it not still been under warranty, I would have simply pulled it out and replaced it. However, I’m not expecting it or a replacement back for between one and three weeks, and then only after I ring a few times to nag. :wink: Stuck with just my old bullet-proof, though eccentric, Ltr-24102B in the meantime but that, of course, can’t do sd 2.9.)

Bucho,
Have you tried reading the image of C&C Generals: Zero Hour (cd 1) with your dvd\cd-rom using Alcohol 120% or CloneCD 4.2.0.2? If not try this optiion with Alcohol 120% and save file format as iso and use FireBurner. You can do the same with CloneCD 4.2.0.2 and “create cue sheet” and use FireBurner and see if you can get your backup to play from your dvd\cd-rom. My Polaroid BurnMAX48 easliy made a backup of this game using CloneCD 4.2.0.2 but my Memorex 52MAXX was a “miss” using CloneCD.
FireBurner easily solved this problem :smiley:

Shoey :cool:

FireBurner: http://www.fireburner.com/downloads.shtml

To Futureproof:

that dy/dx * e^x = e^x is true there is no doubt, but that e^pi is -1 tells me that there is a god!:smiley:

Originally posted by kamikazee
[B]Try uninstalling clonecd to get rid of the hidecdr media or disable it completely one or the other, and is alcohol installed on your laptop? if not then you need to install alcohol on your laptop and enable ignore media type.

technically yes but VSO has an auto-play filter that you can instal instead of the entire app. [/B]

ive run blindwrite burned titles without autoplay installed just had ignore cdr media enabled on alc 120 and on non cdrw drives i didnt need it either.

@Bucho
What about CCD/Fireburner combo? Try it, maybe it will be of better luck?

@philamber
I thought that SD2.9 blacklists the Virtual Drive, not the ATIP?
Or is it both now?:confused:

@FutureProof
You’re a physicist???:eek:

@Andareed
Can I look at the image file with a hex editor to see if the pre-gap is written or present? If I see 00FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF0000000001 would that indicate a successful write, or just the presence itself?