Bypassing Napsters Copyright

vbimport

I just got napster and want to burn the albums downloaded. What should i use to bypass the copyright?

so far, the following software will not bypass there encryption:

all versions of nero
all versions roxio
all versions any store bought audio burning software
all comercail software
unfuck.exe
sonic foundary batch converter
media twins AEDtools
cool edit
easy cd creator all versions
easy cd da extractor
freeme.exe

there are even more programs that wront work, i am posting the programs that DONT WORK so you can save the countless hours many people have waisted trying to use them.

sp far, no products purchased online or from a store will work, no cd burning software will work, no converter tool will work that i have found.

one thing ppl suggested is using the microphone jack to record the song as you play it, which to me is flat out gay to do, it provides crappy audio quality compared to the original.

are you telling me that people who legally purchase music from napster are unable to burn a working CD from them?

First and foremost, welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

I know what you are asking, but just to keep things clear. You are not asking how to bypass copyright I am sure. You are asking how to defeat Napsters annoying Digital Rights Management or DRM, so you can burn some tracks to CD that you have bought from the online store. :wink: In less I am mistaken, you can burn Napster tracks. However, if you just joined “Napster to go” you cannot unless you pay 99 cents for the track.

“Napster to go” is so prominent on the pages now, that I wonder if that service is what you mean, rather than Napster Light. With it’s Janus technology from Microsoft, you cannot burn these tracks as you are only able to transfer them to a Napster to go compatible MP3 player or listen on your computer. This service is 14.95 a month and avails you to unlimited downloads from a catalog of 1 million tracks. But, stop paying the monthly fee and you will not be able to play the music. Or you may pay 99 cents additional fee and then you can burn that track to CD.

Regards,

~Crabby

All you need is tunebite, will re-encode the tracks on your drive so you can burn them, etc.

TUNEBITE

just need lame_enc.dll so you can encode in mp3, just google for that.

Works like a charm!

That’s weird, a good looking program for little money from Germany. I thought Germany supported the DMCA and DRM to the max?

Well, the following is taken from their homepage:

tunebite runs in the background on your Windows PC. When you play back a piece of music, tunebite automatically re-records the song. This is legal and foolproof.

You legal experts, is it true that this is legal? :wink:

Best regards,
eltranquil

tunebite works sweet…tried and tested with napster

From what I can see, tunebite is effectively an audio recorder, like any cassette recorder, MiniDisc recorder, voice recorder with the exception of that it is a software version instead of a physical recording device. From what I can see, it is just as legal as any other audio recording device on the market :stuck_out_tongue:

Going by its description, it captures the audio as it is being played to the soundcard, so like transferring a CD to tape, you simply press record on the software and press play on the application that plays back the restricted audio.

I am not sure how much longer would applications like this would work as I’m sure it will not be long before Microsoft starts getting the Soundcard manufacturers to block recording during the playback of copy protected content and mandate signed drivers to enforce this. :confused:

They tried that with the Pentum III don’t you remember? :slight_smile:

Good question! We are looking into this. I damn sure don’t know, but someone will within our contacts. My gut reaction is no it is not legal in the United States. We have to ask ourselves, if one can use this program to work around say Napster to go DRM they will definately be upset because of the loss of revenue when you DL all the music you want for 15 bucks, then burn it to CD and say Astalalvista baby. I just ended my subscription! In addition, even if you kept your subscription, there is no need to send them 99 cents for the right to burn each individual track. Which I am assuming has restraints on amount of burns etc. This is very interesting indeed! Could be big trouble for Napster if Content providers find out about Tunebite.

haha oops!

I actually found out about the program elsewhere on the forum :smiley:

This is most interesting. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

I am happy to report that, we have at least at this point, determined that the discussion of this software Tunebites is allowed as the prograam we think is perfectly legal. Due to the fact that the program does not “break” the DRM of the music tracks. It is our understanding that DRM is intended to defeat the digital to digital replication of content. Most content providers as Seán said, will have to look upon this solution as nothing more than a very handy cassette recorder, however the quality is much improved (it would seem) in this new process.

@eltranquil: Tunebites does seem to be in the clear as it is a digital to analog recording method. In many countries including Holland and the United States, we are allowed to make personal backups. So there is nothing illegal about this program we feel. Looks like Seán was absolutely correct in his logic and I was wrong! :cool:

Great find jp22382! :slight_smile: This is a very nice program indeed and the cost is just a pittance for the convenience it provides. We do know that Microsoft and Macrovision are very busy at the moment trying to plug the so-called “analog hole”. I guess we can see why now!

For far too long do companies make money over very little technology enhancements.
Mickeysoft gave us DRM. Intel gave us Chip Id# and AMD gives us Anti-Virus protection in cpu’s (yeah right). This is not in the sake of the netizen and the computer user/owner, but 100% for the benefit of the above conglomerates.

Fortunately there are some who resist this kind of semi-laws. You are absolutely not obliged to use the Media player if you use Windows XP and you are absolutely not obliged to install DRM codecs.

The trouble though is that all software is licensed, even the free and GNU. This means that although you are the sole owner of your hardware, none of the software you have is yours. NONE. Not even the freeware software.

So, what will the companies do to make sure you have no clue on how to handle your own media? Make it more difficult (drm,etc). Make it illegal (dmca) or enclose hardware/software bundels. Ever installed Windows XP Media Edition and thought you had absolute control over all your movies? Or dvd regions? Or recording?

The 2nd problem is that all media is licensed as well. None of the dvd’s, mp3’s and audio cd’s you have are yours. You have been given a license to listen to it (joy!). No matter what you do with it.

And here’s the fine culprit. Since the companies use license schematics to make sure they recieve the most money out of media, software or hardware, you can turn the (lack of) license schematics against them.

Analog media doesn’t have any form of protection and probably never will , except for a watermark. The watermark hardly works, so what’s next? As Crabbyaplleton already said: get rid of the analog hole.

So, wha’ts the solution to all this panic? Simple. Do NOT update your software and hardware. Use old codecs (license free), use old media players (not supported, but hey, they play everything you have) and use old hardware. Especially use old drivers, because device drivers rarely have EULA’s. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: Sure, they are the sole ownership of the company/people that wrote them , but they usually don’t have any form of EULA.

Don’t accept DRM, don’t install it and use old software till eternity. :slight_smile: There is no law you shouldn’t use Napster 1.0, Winamp 2.0 or Windows Media Player Classic.

For those of you that have tried this software on your tracks. What is your impression of the quality of the resulting DRM free recording. How do the CD’s sound?

if thats true… whats the point in using napster at all?

Guys be sure to realise that there are actually 2 Napster services now. The old one that you “bought” tracks from, you can burn. The new one “Napster to go” is a different animal. This is a subscription service designed for portable players. Unlimited downloads for 14.95 a month. No limit but no burning. Fail to pay the fee every 30 days and your music will stop. If you want to burn a particular track you still can…for 99 cents.

But, with this TuneBites, you are right. Napster is in trouble as the potential for abuse to the subscription service is quite a temptation. Especially when they have placed their entire 1 million track library in this format and it is perfectly legal, however not really in the spirit of the service to re-record and burn these tracks.

That is why I am curious if anyone can detect a difference between the original DRM track and the analog recording. Also, it would be nice to know for sure if TuneBites is working on this new Napster to go service with Janus DRM. It seems like from what I gather here that it is.

with the ability to record in different formats and bitrates, i personlly feel the re-recorded tracks sound just as good as the original.

Of course im no audiophile, and im not using the best equipment. I mainly just use my Zen Touch wired into my deck in my truck via RCA’s. Sounds plenty good to me!

Hmmm well are you using “Napster to go” or regular Napster? I downloaded the program last night and I think I have some DRM Napster tracks. But I don’t have the Napster to go flavor and I don’t want to join to test it. If this is a workaround for Janus protection I would sure like to know.