Bye Bye AO8XL

vbimport

Screw it, the A08XL is going back to the store for a refund. Guess DVD burners aren’t ready for prime time yet. It sure doesn’t work worth a crap in my Shuttle SS51G, tried it in my Dell and it’s not much better. Tried both internal and in an external USB enclosure. I’ve made more coasters than I can use in a life time. :frowning: On my shuttle, if I use 2x media I can only burn at 1x. If I use 8x media I can manage to get a 4x burn completed maybe one out of four tries. The other times it simply stops burning. No errors no nothing. Same on both computers. Seems I shouldn’t have to wave magic wands, blow away my system and start over, spend hours upon hours trying to figure out which drivers work, not to mention all the DVD’s it’s ruined. Are there any other DVD burners that simply work or is it all back magic and luck of the draw?

your boxes overclocked?

Works fine for me, threw my magic wand away long ago

Nope. I guess it depends on what computer you are installing the DVD into. Some work, some don’t. Seems technology is far enough along that drive manufactures can make a compatible drive.

How about trying the NEC ND-3500A? This is a very good burner.
If it doesnt work, just give it back :slight_smile:

In my System it works and i love this baby!

regards
muellinger_hn

The problem is probably with my system. It’s the Shuttle X SS51G with the SIS chipset. I read that basically the chipset is crap. I’m surprised I can’t get better than 1x in my external Firewire enclosure though. I would think that at least I could do 2x. Even with 8x media it will only give me 1x after reading the disk. I should probably break down and buy a PC with an Intel chipset and be done with it. I’m not faulting the Pioneer, I’m sure it’s a fine burner but I wish it would work a little better with what I have.

(hmm, i just tried to post this. didn’t show up. trying again.)

dklassen, I’m assuming you have XP. Sounds like dma settings issue. Once, I either had bad media issue or a scratch on a dvd blank or something, that caused my dvd writer to give lots of IDE errors to the motherboard/OS. well you can read this:

http://www.niazi.net/computers/10/windows-xp-dma-mode-for-cddvd-drives

do the Registry thing… or better yet, first find out what the current settings are. cuz what I’m describing might not be the issue. Go to control-panel->System->Hardware->Device Manager. find the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers section, and double click on primary IDE channel and/or Secondary IDE Channel. Now check the DMA settings for the applicable cdrom/dvdrom and harddrives. in my case the HDs say Ultra DMA Mode 5. Dvd burner says Ultra DMA Mode 4 (although i think it may be 5 for hte faster burners). if there is no drive plugged in then it will say not applicable i think. if the drive is set to slow speed, then i think it says PIO Mode. oh, also it should say ‘DMA if available’ for all the drives.

Now if you are doing external drive (usb/ieee) then this doesn’t matter, except unless your Harddrives aren’t set to DMA mode. You might also want to see if DMA is enabled in the bios… and I guess the intel application accelerator doesn’t apply to you since you don’t have a intel chipset (or is it based onthe drive controller?). anyway. good luck.

btw, i currently have a btc 1008 drive, and been reading through these forums to figure out which 16x burner to get (although I only want to burn 8x to 12x…reliability as well as for economy). And most of these burners are pretty good. What you experienced should not happen. it may just be a bad drive, if the issues persist. and in the worst case, maybe an incompatible drive.

Good luck.

sounds like a SIS chipset problem. you may want to check this link out to download the latest chipset drivers. i’m not sure if it’ll work but give it a try before you return your 108 drive.

http://download.sis.com/download_step1.php?act=Search&mode=2&category=12&subcategory=122&os=4&x=9&y=13

Dont know much about that chipset but Shuttle is one of those mobo brands u should avoid since their quality is inconsistent.

Dont know much about that chipset but Shuttle is one of those mobo brands u should avoid since their quality is inconsistent.

I have built 4 computers with Shuttle motherboards and haven’t had any problems with their quality being inconsistent. The last 2 computers I built had VIA & IAA chipsets. People have said VIA chipsets are crappy but hey I had no problems or incompatibility issues. I guess I must lucky then eh! :bigsmile:

I haven’t taken it back yet and decided to give it a few more tries. I purchased some Memorex 8x -R and some Sony 1x-4x +R. I installed the drive back inside the computer instead of the USB case. I actually started getting good burns on both media types. The fastest I could get was an 8x burn. I did a full 4gigs in about 7 minutes. I can live with that. I had a little talk with the drive. I picked up a hammer and said if you want to keep living here, you better freakin start working. Must have helped. However, my wife was quite dismayed that I started talking to my computer again…

I picked up a hammer and said if you want to keep living here, you better freakin start working. Must have helped. However, my wife was quite dismayed that I started talking to my computer again…

good to hear you got it working. hey i talk to my computers all the time. i thought that was normal! lol! :wink:

When I do talk to it, it’s usually not in a very nice tone. Maybe I’ll leave the hammer hanging on the wall next to my PC as a little incentive…

The shuttle problem is that some mobo products are flaky others are solid - feedbacks on their mobo lines usually is pretty mixed! Myself using a VIA chipset never had problems with it. However, VIA got big problems with the KT600 chipset. Harddrives corrupting data (RAID) when the system is powering off. The culprit was a timing problem with the HD’s cache-flush command (was too short). This bug affected only users of SATA/RAID (in this combination)

The important thing is to have a good and reliable motherboard. I have the Abit IS7 running 4HD’s, 2 dvd burners, 1 cdrw, 1 dvdrom, 1 external HD, everything works like a charm, sometimes I have both burners running at the same time while surfing the web. Get a good motherboard!!! :wink: