By some estimates, pressed CD-ROMs may only last for 10 to 25 years

vbimport

http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/cd-recordable/7-5-How-long-do-CD-Rs-and-CD-RWs-last.html

By some estimates, pressed CD-ROMs may only last for 10 to 25 years,because the aluminum reflective layer starts to corrode after a while.

well i know that nothing lasts forever, and the industry lied about the 100 year shelf life of retail audio discs, but 10-25 years is just too short! my papy’s blue hawaii vinyl lasted longer than that. can anyone confirm this?

my oldest discs are:
rod stewart gasoline alley 1990
beatles sessions 1990
judds river of time 1989

all my discs were new when i bought them, and they’re still doing and playing great these days.

IMHO most pressed CDs will last for at least 30 - 40 years. I have several CDs from 1985-1990 and they are still in perfect shape.
However, discs from several manufacturers (PDO UK, Opti.Me.S Italy) may be affected by"CD bronzing" and could have became unreadable after only a few years.

PDO UK, Opti.Me.S Italy

hi, thanks for letting me know about this! well lucky for me none of my cds were purchased in those regions.

I have several CDs from 1985-1990 and they are still in perfect shape

ah that’s good to hear!

by the time they are no good, there might not be any players around to play them.

[QUOTE=CCRomeo;2563539]by the time they are no good, there might not be any players around to play them.[/QUOTE] As long as the optical mechanics do not change i think any upcoming device will be pretty downwards compatible. It’s pretty easy for a smaller laser to read a big gap.