Bwabuilder 5.1 stops on sector 800 of Halo

vbimport

I’m trying to make a legitimate backup copy of Halo using a recently purchased copy of BlindWrite v5.1.1.128 and I also downloaded the bwabuilder 5.1 utility to create a topology image of the cd. BlindWrite reads the cd just fine and creates an image and the log file indicates that a topology image is not necessary. I tried burning the copy using a Plextor PX-W2410A drive which supports the DAO PW method (which was preferred). In trying to use the backup as a startup disk for the installed game, it continually tries to read the cd. Whatever it is looking for is not found and so the game does not start.

I tried creating a topology image of the original cd, but the bwabuilder 5.1 utility almost immediately stops with a sector 800 read error. In using an older version of this utility on another game cd, this never happened. I can’t believe that the Halo backup would not require a topology image to enhance the probability of producing a runnable backup.

I have tried the new tweaker and I must say it is a very useful utility for Blindwrite. Whatever I do, Blindwrite cannot create a runnable backup and bwabuilder 5.1 will not allow continue past the read error in order to create a topology image.

Is there an older version of bwabuilder that I can use to create a topology image that would be compatible with Blindwrite v5.1.1.128? And if so, where can I download it from.

I would think that a topology utility such as bwabuilder would mark the sector as bad in the topology image and continue. This would allow Blindwrite to somehow force a bad sector during its backup that includes the .bwa file.

Am I wrong in thinking that I might still need a topology image even though Blindwrite tells me that I don’t need it?

I’ve already spent multiple hours on this and I am grasping for any help that I can get.

You do not need topology skip that all together, use the tweaker and slow down your read speed, slow it down to about 4X, also use the tweaker and make sure enhance weak sectors is ticked, see if that doesn’t help any.
Topology is only used for securom titles.

Originally posted by kamikazee
You do not need topology skip that all together, use the tweaker and slow down your read speed, slow it down to about 4X, also use the tweaker and make sure enhance weak sectors is ticked, see if that doesn’t help any.
Topology is only used for securom titles.

The reasons why to this post:

Halo is protected by Safedisc 2.70.030 and a topology is not needed for this protection.

With these SD protected games reading the image is very important and to yield better results (normally) it is best to reduce the read spead. A lot of success comes from around 4x, so experiment around that speed.

If you read up on how SD works you will know that it uses weak sectors (among many other things) to try and fool the reader/writer, so with the tweaker you can enhance these sectors so that your read/writer has a better chance of success.

Try running the image created on a virtual drive to see if the image created is bad or if it’s the burning process that mucks up. If it’s a reading problem (ie won’t run in the virtual drive) then try another reader. If however it plays fine but doesn’t work once burnt onto cd, then you know it’s a writer problem. At that stage either be content with a playable image or buy a better writer.

Just to let you know, it is possible to back up this game with relative ease :smiley: so don’t give up yet :iagree: