BWA or MDS: which is technically superior?

Are there any differences between BWA and MDS formats for the purposes of backing up SecuROM4 protected discs (ie. for saving sector density)?

What is the preferred application for the most accurate reads - BlindWrite or Alcohol? ( I have a Liteon 52x burner and ltd163 reader).

I currently use Alcohol but end up converting to CCD and BWA for TwinPeak anway. Has worked well for me. But I want to know whether one format is preferred for storage of ‘virgin’ unpatched images…or if one application is better than the other for reading Securom4 discs.

Alcohol devotees will tell you that mds is technically superior (more accurate) than bwa. However, AFAIK, no-one has conducted any independent tests that prove (or disprove) that assertion.

Just use whichever method works for you. :smiley:

personally i find that the file made by aclohol (.mds) works better for me, never had any problems with it and works the first time.
but other people may have more succes with an .bwa file. think it is personal what you prefer.

AFAIK bwa is a subset of MDS. MDS it’s more accurate than BWA. If you want proofs, please test yourself, that’s the best proof :wink:

alright, thx guys

AFAIK bwa is a subset of MDS. MDS it’s more accurate than BWA. If you want proofs, please test yourself, that’s the best proof

Well then I would have to go with this, the BWA is better for me, at least I can make a working copy (not 1:1) but working non the less with blindwrite, and it’s BWA, can I do it with Alcohol? No alcohol will only emulate.

You always say the MDS is better, and you always say try it yourself, how about you prove it with fact and details, thats not to much to ask, just back-up your statement.

I believe and someone will corect me if I’m wrong, that twin peaks started all this ( i know here goes this argument) then clone cd with twinpeaks was the first to make a working back-up then blindwrite incorporated something similar to or just like twinpeaks with their BWA and then Alcohol jumped on board using both methods but not their own when 4.8 came out. Then alcohol developers decided emulation was the only way to go, no alternative with them.
With your setup it is possible for you to make a working back-up (not 1:1) but a working one, with blindwrite tools only, makeing a working back-up using alcohol tools only, won’t happen, not without RPMS.

Well then I would have to go with this, the BWA is better for me, at least I can make a working copy (not 1:1) but working non the less with blindwrite, and it’s BWA, can I do it with Alcohol? No alcohol will only emulate.

You mix to different things :

.MDS and .BWA contains both something which represents the density of sectors .

Than BW or CloneCD (with Tweakpeaks) allow to burn a backup that works without anything .

Alcohol allows to create a backup which needs emulation later .

But, both image and dumping method should be good (I don’t know the best one) .

Olivier

But you can convert the MDS to BWA, as TwinPeak only allows BWA. The converted BWA will be better than an original BWA created with BWABuilder.