BWA: Guys, try this instead

My specs are listed as my signature. I used a Sony CDU5221 to read the disc and create the MDS file. At the time, I was using Alcohol 133.130 and any read speed below 24X would cause an error and abort the DPM reading, so I read at 24x. I think it took like 2 1/2 minutes, but like I said the “curve” it generated was very smooth and I suspect that is what led to my copies verifying very quickly (about 3 seconds average on 7 different machines).

I used a Lite on 32123 (firmware xsox) and wrote at max speed, which was 4x because of the cheap re-writables I was using.

You don’t have to read subchannels while creating the image with Blindwrite. Use DAO pw to write.

One note that might be of interest: i had previously been burning a cd with SafeDisc 2.8 and I had the “Enhance Weak Sectors” option ENABLED by accident when i made my copy of UT 2003. I thought it might ruin the write, but it did not. Another interesting fact is that i dumped the image into Insektors and it detected SafeDisc 1 ?!?!?!

Hope that helps…

Weird!
If you did run into any unreadable sectors then there ain’t anything to worry about with the Amplify Weak Secotrs :smiley:

ok i tried out this method too, but it didn’t work for me.

the game i am trying is Hitman2
I used alcohol 1.3.3 (build 1030) with the lite-on 48125W (VS08) at 24x DPM. then i converted the ‘mds’ file to ‘bwa’.

read the cd with blindread, nibble, max speed.
wrote the image max speed. ie. 48x (DAO-PW & DAO-PQ)

the cd(s) can’t even be reconised by my writer or reader!!
made 3 coasters so far…
:confused:

the next option is to read a bwa file…

Webcrawler. I did the same thing two nights ago. I took the mds file created by Alcohol 1030 and converted it to BWA. I then burned a copy of UT2003 and it didn’t work. I next made a BWA file and burned it again. That copy worked and authenticated in a matter of seconds. I want to convert a Alcohol 1106 mds to bwa and try again. Everything I read says that 1106 has better DPM extraction.

yup same story as yours… the ‘real’ BWA file works but not the converted one…

hmm… build 1106 doesn’t seem to do it either… check out Fr4nz’s post

Very interesting. :rolleyes:

Guys, remember that both alcohol’s and blindwrite’s methods of dealing with the latest versions of securom are still in their infancy.

You have to expect some unreliability and inconsistent results for a while.

Remember that a fortnight ago there was nothing you could do about the latest securom versions other than to use an illegal crack. Progress is definitely happening and with more than one program. :smiley:

The reason I suggested the conversion from MDS to BWA is because the “real” BWA file generated with the Blindwrite dumper worked for me, but the verification was over one minute. When I experimented with the Alocohol-generated MDS file it came out “smoother” and when I burned with it, the verification was only 2-3 seconds. Not with only one cd either, but on almost all ten that i burned. The slowest time, 4-6 seconds, came on an old HP reader that one of my brothers has.

My appologies for all the coasters…I thought I was on to something…:confused:

Can anyone who failed with this method please post an IMAGE of your BWA file so I can compare it with mine and see if there’s a difference there, please…

Originally posted by ISOman

Can anyone who failed with this method please post an IMAGE of your BWA file so I can compare it with mine and see if there’s a difference there, please…

Let handle this the Blindwrite makers

not you :wink:

Originally posted by Allmighty
[B]

Let handle this the Blindwrite makers

not you :wink: [/B]

“Handle” what?

If I could figure how how BWA builder works I would do it and post it. I dont understand how to run BWA Builder. Clan you explain? Thanks.

i tried to do a backup of NOLF2

1. RIP image (MAX SPEED)
    [blindwrite has about 2-3 pages, not unlike ccd 3.x]
    page1:
    select SUBS (if it says your burner does support it, stop now, your wasting your time)
    page2:
    nibble
    MAX (ie: uncheck ‘adapt speed’)

2. do BWA (8x ONLY)
    load BWA utility (comes w/ blindwrite package)
    select the drive and do start
    (it will ask if you want it to find the end, select YES)
    when its done, and it says no errors note beside START BUTTON in this image here(plz dont link this anywhere else)
    do file / save and name the file the same as the filename for the image you just made (ie: cdimage.bwa)
    **subnote: turned off the option ‘draw during measurement’ and made sure that all other programs were off (so that my cpu usage was 1-2% (win2k)) and it made the parabola a lot smoother

3. burning (8x ONLY)
    load up blindwrite in burn mode
    check the image for continuity if ya want
    settings:
    DAO PW (depending on your burner DAO PQ might work, but made a coaster for me)
    speed: 8x
    uncheck: the ‘enhance sectors’
    hit ‘go’

so i burned this and it works
toshiba 16x dvd took 2-3min to load
liteon 24102b took 7.5sec to load (woohoo)

so i burned it on my roommates plextor @ 8x also
and when i try to install it get CRC errors

have others of you burned the securom new 4.x on a liteon and it worked ?
or had luck on another burner that it worked?

btw - here are screenshots of my MDS & BWA parabolas

http://www.cdretc.com/fc/cz/bwa2.jpg

red is an MDS from alcohol 120% 1.3.3.1030
green is a BWA from blindwrite 4.2.1.26
http://www.cdretc.com/fc/cz/red=alc_green=bw.jpg

btw - here are screenshots of my MDS & BWA parabolas

http://www.cdretc.com/fc/cz/bwa2.jpg

red is an MDS from alcohol 120% 1.3.3.1030
green is a BWA from blindwrite 4.2.1.26
http://www.cdretc.com/fc/cz/red=alc_green=bw.jpg

Hey thanx for posting your graph files. I was wondering what kind of files people where getting when creating the BWA. Your “BWA2.jpg” is what my BWA dumper generated files looked like, “spiky”. Your “Green/Red.jpg” graphs is what my Alcohol MDS converted to BWA file looks like “smoother”.

I used the MDS converted to BWA and burned the cd’s (10 of them) with my LiteOn 32123s (firmware XSOX). Verify times on 7 different machines was never greater than 4-6 seconds and was 2-3 on like 4 of them. Where as, when I used the BWA dump files (on 2 cds) my verify times were almost 2 minutes.

[B]

Hey thanx for posting your graph files. I was wondering what kind of files people where getting when creating the BWA. Your “BWA2.jpg” is what my BWA dumper generated files looked like, “spiky”. Your “Green/Red.jpg” graphs is what my Alcohol MDS converted to BWA file looks like “smoother”.

I used the MDS converted to BWA and burned the cd’s (10 of them) with my LiteOn 32123s (firmware XSOX). Verify times on 7 different machines was never greater than 4-6 seconds and was 2-3 on like 4 of them. Where as, when I used the BWA dump files (on 2 cds) my verify times were almost 2 minutes. [/B]

yea, the bwa2 was back when i was still displaying the graph while drawing - really makes it spikey

what i do find odd - which was explained somewhere on the forums - was that the MDS -> BWA converter doesnt work right for the most part on the BWA program

so when when i tried the MDS -> BWA and burned it it wouldnt pass the auth test

have others of you burned the securom new 4.x on a liteon and it worked ?
or had luck on another burner that it worked?

freon,

I have backed up UT2003 w/my Litey 40125s. The first time I read the image and bwa file w/my Toshiba SD-M1502, I had the subs checked and was not able to get a good image. I then made a .bwa file (4x) and ripped the image at full speed w/subs unchecked w/my Liteon and got a successful image and burn. I know this goes against the grain a bit for securom new but even in the “How to bwa” readme it says you can do so. I haven’t tried again w/my Toshiba w/o the subs checked to see if that makes a difference.

FYI the game takes about 7 secs to authenticate and runs great in both drives.

Originally posted by stretcharmstron
[B]

I then made a .bwa file (4x) and ripped the image at full speed w/subs unchecked w/my Liteon and got a successful image and burn. I know this goes against the grain a bit for securom new but even in the “How to bwa” readme it says you can do so. I haven’t tried again w/my Toshiba w/o the subs checked to see if that makes a difference.

FYI the game takes about 7 secs to authenticate and runs great in both drives. [/B]

That is something that I think I forgot to mention: I did read the CD WITHOUT the subs, but I can’t remember if I burned it without the subs …maybe this has something to do with the success rates.

One note that might be of interest: i had previously been burning a cd with SafeDisc 2.8 and I had the “Enhance Weak Sectors” option ENABLED by accident when i made my copy of UT 2003. I thought it might ruin the write, but it did not.

NP: there are no Weak Sectors to ‘modify’ so no effect

Originally posted by FutureProof
NP: there are no Weak Sectors to ‘modify’ so no effect

Ok, cool. Thanx FutureProof…

How bout the absence of reading subs and the effect it has on the Image and/or the burned cd, if any?

Ya got any theories on that?

If you burn the image with Alcohol (:stuck_out_tongue: that works on a couple of levels :stuck_out_tongue: ) and you DON’T extract the subs, the image WILL work when mounted, I’ve tried it since the BWA tutorial says they don’t need to be extracted. Are subs even involved when the twin sectors are present in the image/cd? Or am I way off base here?

Thanx

I finally got it to work. Oe thing though that might be of interest.
I did the read on the original Hitman 2 cd on an ASUS 48x.
I did the BWA creation and the burn using same burner.
It does not play on the ASUS though but it will play on my LTR24102b thats installed on the same machine.

FYI

[B]
How bout the absence of reading subs and the effect it has on the Image and/or the burned cd, if any?

Ya got any theories on that?[/B]
No theories :wink: but the new SecuROM does not use the data subchannel (confirmed by VeNoM386) hence it’s not required but the software must provide the PW sub data rather than the writer. Note that a BW PQ write generally does not work for SecuROM 4.8x