Ok, I use

BWA Builder 5
Start at 155797
Plextor Premium 1.06
Patin Couffin ready and active - internal revision 24

And I only get this : BWA : extraction complet Quality 0%

How to get a good quality ?

How to set up the reading speed ?

What does mean Start at ? Is it possible to change it ?

Thx for reply …

My question is so stupid ???

I do it with alcohol ansd convert .mds to .bwa

But I don’t understand why it doesn’t work with BWA Builder 5 …

ok, plextor premium are not good at all at making BWA files.
What game is it exeactly you are trying to make one for (inclusing origin)

Ben :slight_smile:

Thx bcn_246, no problem for the back-up (a Securom 4.8.5.07.0018):

• I use BW5Tweaker + Topology method + Write with Plextor Premium option,
  • I made the BWA using Alcohol MDS + conversion into BWA Builder 5

and my back-up is a full ok.

No, I only want to understand why the BWA was bad using my Premium. Now if you tell me that because the Plex can’t, ok I had a good explanation.

Question, BWA Builder can’t but Alcohool 120% Can.

Very strange, no ?

one more :
I try to do it whith my Sony DW-U10A DVD writer, and … Quality 0%

Hmmm, sounds like a problem with the patin couffin drivers now that you say the Sony also isnt making one at all, the Plex isnt a great reader, but I know of very few that reach 0%, I just tried making a BWA with my plex and it got 63%, and the Sony should get much higher than that.

I would try re-installing the patin couffin drivers and restarting the computer, then trying to make a BWA.

oh, i think if it comes to DATA-reading (especially WITH sub-codes) the plex is one of the best you can get - even, if not the fastest…

this is the method i’d always prefer - alcohol’s mds is much more “exact” than BW’s origin .BWA - it’s not really more exact, alcohol is just using another strategy to calculate / measure it… :wink:

Yeh, its great at other reading, probably the best, but for some reason it just cant make BWA files.

Hi Ben,

I realize this thread is a few months old, but perhaps you’ll see it.

I just acquired a Plextor Premium drive, and I had the same results with getting a 0% quality topology when using the BWA Builder version 5. However, I can still save what I have and reopen it and clean it, and it produces 100% quality! I then used BW5Tweaker and produced a working backup of a Securom 5+ protected game (The Incredibles). Thinking it could be a problem with the Plextor reads, I tried my LiteOn SOHW-1633S DVD writer drive, and I also received 0% quality, but it could also be “cleaned” to 100%.

Finally I decided to just run Blindwrite 5 without BW5Tweaker at all from the Plextor, using automatic profile. Guess what? Blindwrite correctly chose the reading subcode, recognized that topology was needed, and recognized that I was using a Plextor Premium, so it used it’s features to re-create the topology…and the most important part:

The log file shows that Blindwrite 5 produced 98% quality in the topology it embedded in the image! I burned the image and it worked great. It appears that 98% is “good enough” for this game.

I opened the BWA Builder and saw that I could read the .B5T file that was created with the image, and it showed 98% quality, and it let me clean the curve, but when saving to a .BWA file, it ends up with zero size. I also tried to import a .MDS file made with Alcohol into BWA Builder, but it claims that no topology was present in the .MDS file, even though I used SecuRom 4/5 NEW profile in Alcohol.

So here are the questions:

1. Why is Blindwrite 5 able to directly produce a 98% quality topology from all drives, while the BWA Builder from the same company produces 0%?

2. Why can I open the .B5T file and see/clean the curve, but I cannot save the improved file to something I can use with BW5Tweaker?

Very strange indeed!

FordMan

Maybe its a bug in BWA Builder, the Plex Premium should be able to make 100% BWA files? Plex Premium BWA files also work for me, maybe it is not detecting the quality correctly?

1. Why is Blindwrite 5 able to directly produce a 98% quality topology from all drives, while the BWA Builder from the same company produces 0%?
    The BWA builder is able to extract topology without any problems, I used the Incredibles and got a BWA rated at 98%, cleaned the curve it’s now at 100%. I am able to accomplish the task both stand-alone and from with-in BW5
  1. Why can I open the .B5T file and see/clean the curve, but I cannot save the improved file to something I can use with BW5Tweaker?

Very strange indeed!
Now as far as saving goes, i’m not sure what your problem is, after you’ve cleaned the curve you can just file and then save, if the cleaned curve is better than the original then just overwrite the original with the clean one, no problems there at all. You must save the file with the exact same name of the cd the BWA was extracted from, other wise it won’t be used. So since I used the Incredibles the name of the BWA is also Incedibles, just as the image name should be.

no secrets, no tricks, works like it always has.

I normally use the Premium for BWA extraction, it does better than my lite-ons and Asus’s

Strange, although it appears I’m encountering the same problem as Kendo-BE did with the initial message in this thread. As I mentioned, Blindwrite creates it directly and achieves 98% quality as you do with the BWA builder, but when I run BWA builder, I get 0% quality. It’s equally strange that I can save this file, re-open and clean it to 100%…should it even be possible to improve a 0% curve to 100%?!

Now as far as saving goes, i’m not sure what your problem is, after you’ve cleaned the curve you can just file and then save, if the cleaned curve is better than the original then just overwrite the original with the clean one, no problems there at all. You must save the file with the exact same name of the cd the BWA was extracted from, other wise it won’t be used. So since I used the Incredibles the name of the BWA is also Incedibles, just as the image name should be.

As I mentioned, the only place I could get a high percentage (98%) was integrated into the .B5T file itself. Since BWA Builder can open those, I did that, it showed 98%, but when I saved it, I chose the same name and changed the extension to .BWA since I assumed the format written by BWA builder is not the same as the .B5T file made by Blindwrite. It created a BWA file called INCRED_CD2.bwa whose size was 0 bytes. Of course when opening this, BWA builder said there was no topology information present. Even Kendo-BE said that he could open an Alcohol .MDS file and save it to a .BWA, but when I opened the .MDS file from my Alcohol image I made, again BWA builder said there was no topology information present in the .MDS.

As far as having the same name as the CD/image, do you mean that name I chose for the image (INCRED_CD2.*) or do you mean the volume label of the CD itself? The volume label on CD2 of the incredibles is PLAY. I tried that and received the same result.

no secrets, no tricks, works like it always has.

For most of us, it appears but not for me and a handful of others. Perhaps I’ll try to reinstall the programs and see what happens. By the way, I also disabled PlexTools when doing my ripping and burning originally. I later tried with it enabled and got no difference. Would it perhaps help BWA builder if I limited the Premium’s read speed with PlexTools?

I see that Ben (bcn_246) recommended that the patin-couffin drivers be re-installed. Could that be the problem if the engine status shows them as active and working?

Also, sine Blindwrite 5 can automatically detect the needed options, recognizes my premium and writes with that method, and achieves 98% topology quality, is BW5Tweaker and BWA builder really obsoleted, or do these helper programs exist merely to get to 100% quality? What quality is acceptable, since 98% is apparently good enough when I read and burned with only BW5 and the backup worked fine?

Bewildered,
FordMan

I chose the same name and changed the extension to .BWA since I assumed the format written by BWA builder is not the same as the .B5T file made by Blindwrite.

Do not change the extension, Blindwrite 5 will use the files created by both version 5 and version 4, Blindwrite 4 on the otherhand will not write Blindwrite 5 images, the methods used to create the BWA in version 4 and 5 are different, when version 4 came out there was no need to extract a BWA file from a DVD as they weren’t widely used for games, when Blindwrite 5 came out the games on DVD were becoming more popular, and as it was explained to me the algorythm had to be completely rewritten to support both formats. The BWA builder from version 4 will not extract a BWA file from a dvd game. Hopefully this explains it a bit better, not much but a bit.

In order to use the BB5 (BWA) builder from BW5 you must be a registered user. 4 and 5 are compatible as far as images go but using BB5 images with BW4 is not. You’ll notice that if it weren’t for the tweaker, then you would even have problems with using outside created BWA’s.

is BW5Tweaker and BWA builder really obsoleted, or do these helper programs exist merely to get to 100% quality?
no the clean was an added feature, but if it werent for the tweaker you wouldn’t be able to use those BWA’s that you might need to download.

What i meant is that the .B5T (about 11 KB) file written directly by Blindwrite is apparently a different format than a .BWA file (about 21 KB). So, when reading the topology from a .B5T program, I figured that BWA builder would write in the .BWA format, so I chose to change the extension to .BWA, so that I could import the cleaned .BWA into Blindwrite Tweaker…but I ran into a problem that BWA Builder only writes 0 KB files when I save the cleaned curve…

I think I’m going to mess with limiting the Plex Premium’s read speed to see if that helps. I’m not sure if BWA builder has the same “fast topology” method that was incorporated into Blindwrite 5.

no the clean was an added feature, but if it werent for the tweaker you wouldn’t be able to use those BWA’s that you might need to download.

My problem was that I couldn’t find a .BWA file on the internet for the US version of “The Incredibles,” only a German one which was for a slightly different version of the game. I’m not sure why one should need to download one, if it’s easy to make and you own the original game, though.

Thanks for your time,

FordMan

There shouldn’t be any problem using the german BWA file for your backup. I think the reason why you can get BWA files online was or still is that some drives are really bad or even won’t allow you getting a nice BWA file. Before BWA Builder 5.1 there was no option cleaning a bad curve automaticly although it was possible cleaning the BWA by hand using BWA edit if it wasn’t too bad. I’m still using BWA Builder 2002 for CDs which I dump using one of my Toshiba DVD-ROM drives mainly my SD-M1712 J004. Maybe this was some help for this part of your question.

Well with the German version of the game, not only is the lauguage different, but the version of Securom shown accompanying the posted BWA file is different than mine. I figured that if the curves are describing sectors protected by Securom, it wouldn’t correspond to mine for this reason. As a matter of a fact, the curve I got my cleaning the 0% curve to 100% is NOT the same as the German version. However, since CDs are cheap, I may try one of the German ones as an experiment…thanks for the idea!

FordMan

I’ve attached some images to illustrate what I’ve described.

1. The first image (Read40XCAV.png) is what is produced when I first scan the CD with BWA Builder 5.1, quality 0%. Notice the large spike at the very end of the CD…is that what makes the quality 0%? It obviously hides the true curve lower than that address due to the scale of the graph.

2. The second image (Read40XCAV_Cleaned.png) is what I get if I clean the curve, resave and re-open the file in BWA Builder 5.1 - the spike is gone at the end, and I get 100% quality! This BWA file with BW5Tweaker and BW5 produced a working backup.

3. The third image (BW5_B5T.png) is what I get when I allow BW5 to to make the topology directly and I open the .B5T file with BWA Builder 5.1. Notice that BW5 directly produced a curve with 98% quality, but note that it didn’t find any spikes around 150,000 like BWA builder did! However, I cannot save this file to any workable format. It creates a zero byte file! However, a backup with the blindwrite image containing only 98% quality also works fine.

4. The fourth image (Read4XCLV.png) is what BWA builder 5.1 produced when I used PlexTools to force reading to 4X constant linear velocity, on the hunch that the reason I received 0% quality was because the CD was being read too fast. As you can see, I didn’t receive the usual curve, but a straight line with spikes. When I cleaned this curve I received a nonsensical pattern that looked like a rounded letter W, and it also had 0%. So slower reading is not the answer…

So, does anyone have any ideas about this strange behavior? I wouldn’t mind making an image with BW5 first just to get the curve if I could successfully convert the topology information in the .B5T file to a .BWA file…

FordMan

but did you contact the vso support too ?