Buying Two IDE Drives -- Need Suggestion for 2nd Fairly Soon

vbimport

Hello.

I am going to buy two IDE drives within the next couple of days.

The first one will be the Lite-On iHAP422-98.

I am at a lost as to what would be the second so as to not put all my eggs in one basket. I am building a ripping machine and the first priority is to reliably and quickly read all my kid (scratched) DVDs. The second priority is that I would like to be able to flash a firmware to remove the riplock and make it an RPC1 drive.

As far as scanning ability, hopefully the Lite-On iHAP422-98 is sufficient.

I really don’t need two writers for now, so an excellent DVD-ROM would do. I have two UDMA 33 IDE channels on my motherboard and so I figured I would us it for the DVD drives since they are much slower than the hard drives and would not saturate the IDE bus.

If no suggestions, I would just get two iHAP422-98.

Hi,[QUOTE=mifronte;2534085]
I am going to buy two IDE drives within the next couple of days.[/quote]Pata drives are getting rare these days.

The first one will be the Lite-On iHAP422-98.

I am at a lost as to what would be the second so as to not put all my eggs in one basket. I am building a ripping machine and the first priority is to reliably and quickly read all my kid (scratched) DVDs. The second priority is that I would like to be able to flash a firmware to remove the riplock and make it an RPC1 drive.

As far as scanning ability, hopefully the Lite-On iHAP422-98 is sufficient.

If you don’t mind buying from ebay, then get an Optiarc AD7200A. we have a thread about this running at the moment.
The other Pata drive available as new is LG’s GH22LP/NP series. I wouldn’t recommend these for your purpose.

I really don’t need two writers for now, so an excellent DVD-ROM would do. I have two UDMA 33 IDE channels on my motherboard
Modern drives need UDMA66. If your motherboard can’t handle that, then reconsider your decision about that system.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2534182]Hi,Pata drives are getting rare these days.
Modern drives need UDMA66. If your motherboard can’t handle that, then reconsider your decision about that system.
Michael[/QUOTE]

I am really confused. Are you saying the new PATA drives won’t work on my UDMA/33 (ATA/ATAPI-4) . Isn’t UDMA/66 (AT/ATAPI-5) and all higher AT/ATAPI supposed to be backward compatible?

Can these optical drives exceed the UDMA/33 bus speed?

[QUOTE=mciahel;2534182]Hi,Pata drives are getting rare these days.
If you don’t mind buying from ebay, then get an Optiarc AD7200A. we have a thread about this running at the moment.m.
Michael[/QUOTE]

I just tried a search on eBay for “Optiarc AD7200A” and got no hits. Look like I will need to purchase new.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220622943688&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&afsrc=1

[QUOTE=jamescooley1;2534225]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220622943688&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&afsrc=1[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

Just purchased 2 with Bing cashback. Now since I don’t know anything about this drive, but the Liggy & Dee web site has tons of firmware, is there a consensus as to which firmware I should use to flash these two drives?

Hi,[QUOTE=mifronte;2534217]I am really confused. Are you saying the new PATA drives won’t work on my UDMA/33 (ATA/ATAPI-4) . Isn’t UDMA/66 (AT/ATAPI-5) and all higher AT/ATAPI supposed to be backward compatible?

Can these optical drives exceed the UDMA/33 bus speed?[/QUOTE]Speed is not a matter. Optical drives that are designed to handle 20x, come with an UDMA66 interface. Compatibility issues cannot be excluded, although an UDMA66 drive should work with UDMA33 controllers.

At least use an 80wire IDE cable as suggested by Optiarc (http://www.sony-optiarc.eu/supportservice/troubleshoothotlinecontact.html)

Michael

On my Turtle Beach Montego II sound card, it has a connection labeled CD. Do I connect this to the pin connection to the left of the IDE connection on the Optiarc AD-7200A IDE connection?

I assume this connection is for audio, but can’t imagine needing it since the audio output should be directed by the OS and/or software?