Buying new hard drive

vbimport

Hi all!
My PC’s motherboard is EPOX 9NPA Ultra and I wanna buy a new hard drive,
preferably 1TB.
So I have few questions aqbout that

1. Will my motherboard support one of those new
    SATA II hard drives?
  2. Which is better 5400, 5900 or 7200 rpm?
  3. Which brand would you recommend as most durable and
    qualitative?

I’m not familiar with your motherboard, but if it’s fairly new you should have no problem with a WD Black Caviar 1tb 7200 HD. I have 2 in my new build and love’em. This is my 3rd computer in the last 6 yrs. that I have put WD hard drives in and never had a single problem. Definitely go with the 7200, why would you want slow?

[QUOTE=madhulk;2480464]Hi all!
My PC’s motherboard is EPOX 9NPA Ultra and I wanna buy a new hard drive,
preferably 1TB.
So I have few questions aqbout that

1. Will my motherboard support one of those new
    SATA II hard drives?
  2. Which is better 5400, 5900 or 7200 rpm?
  3. Which brand would you recommend as most durable and
    qualitative?[/QUOTE]

First you should update your mobo BIOS first but also read your owner manuals and also check the manufacture site. I was able to locate it using google. Man that is an old BIOS for your mobo but I don’t think you should have a problem hooking a sata II drive on there. But you might have to contact them since they don’t seem to allow their manuals to download??? Not sure why??? HDD for desktop in 3.5" go for 7200rpm…never go with 5400rpm. I say go for WD carvier blue 1TB or black 1TB. I have the black version and it’s working good if not better then I expected.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2480533]HDD for desktop in 3.5" go for 7200rpm…never go with 5400rpm. I say go for WD carvier blue 1TB or black 1TB. I have the black version and it’s working good if not better then I expected.[/QUOTE]

Generally speaking, I agree. But the OP has to also consider what he will be using that old Socket 939 AMD-powered PC for: If it is to be running games or video editing software, then he would need as much hard drive performance that he can get (especially now that 1TB 7200 rpm drives cost only a few dollars more than same-capacity 5400 rpm drives with the same amount of buffer memory). However, if that older PC is to be used primarily as an HTPC or a Web/office-apps-only PC, then 5400 rpm would suffice.

Thanks for your replies, guys!
You’re great!

The fastest SATA HDD right now is the Spinpoint F3 drives, Link

It looks like your MB will run it, but I would also update the BIOS like others have suggested.

[QUOTE=eric93se;2481989]The fastest SATA HDD right now is the Spinpoint F3 drives…[/QUOTE]

True, if only that the Spinpoint F3 has two 500GB platters while all of the other current 1TB 7200 rpm drives are still of the older three-platter designs.

When I got my F3 1TB drive I was holding out as long as possible for WD to release a 2 platter design but it never happened :frowning: I don’t know whats taking them so long. The Samsung F3’s are selling like hot cakes on newegg and constantly going in/out of stock.

Hey Eric93e,

I did see it on newegg but it wasn’t long they removed it from the stock. I was like dang for 299.99US it was almost deal breaker. I just have to wait for them to get it back. I for my own usage will stick to 7200rpm drives sure going green 5400rpm is good for laptop or netbooks but for me access and usage especially when the drives gets bigger the 7200rpm would be alot better for accessing because I almost have a full 1TB WD black sata already. IMO

What was 299.99US ?

[QUOTE=eric93se;2482172]What was 299.99US ?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I know I saw it on Newegg but didn’t have the cash flow at that time so I thought I’ll save it and then :doh: didn’t see it again… :sad:. What a bummer… The Black WD 2TB HDD…that is…

Here’s the link of the item I saved just incase it comes back out from being out of stock… :sad: The prices isn’t there anymore but I do recall it said $299.99.

The Hitachi’s Deskstar 7K1000.C 1TB drive also uses two platters.