Buying new burner today

hello

I am gonna purchase a new DVD Burner drive. I really hate this chore; because of the
firmwares/ patching/ media compatibility sh!t.ERR>>>

Anyhow, I always trust the advice here.

here is what I have:

Dell 4600
WinXP Pro SP3
P4 2.6 GHz HT
2GB DDR RAM
Pioneer 112L 8.21 RPC1 DVD-RAM
LiteOn LH 20A1P KL0N DVD-RAM

There are 2 SATA connectors on the MOBO

Next is a
2.66 GHz Celeron D
512MB DDR RAM (currently) I may go to 1GB…

there are 2 SATA connectors ont he mobo.

this (celeron D) is the unit i wanna add a DVD Burner to.

Of what i have listed above no problems except a minor issue with some Verbs DVD+Rs being seen as 4X only??
see here:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f87/pio-112l-only-allows-4x-mcc-004-help-242529/

anyhow i want something that can read well (RWs)
burning speed not too important
basically a good all around work horse
and I want the ability to make or reset it to RPC1/ region free/ etc…

(I rarely go faster than 12X; and thats on the Pioneer only; all else is 10X)
…I measured one time 16X vs 8X was like 10 sec faster?

I want the BEST 2 in the DELL. the 3rd in the Celeron D computer.

What do u recommend?

Where are you located? Some drive brands/models are not available in some locales around the world, and there are also different stores in different places where you can get better deals, so it would be nice to know in what direction to point you. :flower:

EDIT part 1: I suggest you also look at the CD Freaks Top 5 here: http://www.cdfreaks.com/devices/

EDIT part 2: I also suggest you tell us what you have available to you if you’re planning on getting a drive from a retail store, as some stores have different stock than others.

EDIT part 3 [off-topic]: Also, if you select a speed not supported by your drive, chances are that the drive will write at the next lower speed available, like selecting 10x would cause drives to write at 8x [because most drives, including the ones you have, don’t offer 10x support for DVDs]. It is suggested to stick with the major multiples of 4 except for 18x [most 18x and 20x drives except Pioneer 115/215 20x drives], 6x [some drives], and 2x/1x [some older drives; some Pioneers; when using old 2x/1x media].

i am purchasing from Newegg.com

EDIT: as for the write speeds, point is I never burn that high of a speed.
what i meant was that 16X is not twice as fast as 8X in real world burning; thus I to be safer in my burns (I do not power burn) i’’ take the extra 45 sec for a lower speed

I was in the same boat last week and I narrowed it to the Optiarc 7200 and Pioneer 215. Both seemed good burners from all that I could gather from these forums. Probably the Pioneer has an edge in burn quality.

There are currently deals (free shipping) on both drives (SATA):

http://www.chiefvalue.com/product--productdetails.cv-_linkid–119&item–CE00154080010060

By the way ChiefValue is run by the same people that run NewEgg. I’ve purchased from them before and my items got shipped from the same warehouse NewEgg uses. For some reason ChiefValue is sometimes cheaper!

Look at the link in Alberts edit or have a look at the whole list here > http://club.cdfreaks.com/f61/top-5-optical-drives-april-june-2008-cast-your-vote-now-241802/

16x is approx 2 minutes faster than 8x.

I for one do not burn 16x rated Verbatim or TY’s at 8x and i do not burn my 8x rated Verbatim or TY’s at 4x. What i do is burn blanks at different speeds and see where the sweet spot is and go from there. I do this when i open a new 50 or 100 pk for the burner(s) i choose to burn them with. (This requires scanning though)

Now i know people will post differently but this is just what i do and it works for me.

I so hate buying burners…

OK
I was considering the Pioneer 215.

what would be the best setup:
I want the best 2 drives on the main machine (The DELL)

I want the last on the Celeron D MOBO?

Also since the new one will be the only SATA drive on my DELL board
am i correct in that all i have to do is go into the BIOS and turn on the SATA controller?
Then put the remaining IDE drive on as master?

thanks all

I’m not familiar with your machines but yeah i would look in the BIOS and see if SATA is turned on and running in IDE compatibility mode. It may already be turned on.

If only one drive on an IDE cable then yes the drive needs to be set as master and plugging into the end of the cable.

so replace the Pio 112 with a Pio 115?

Pioneer 115_can i make this drive RPC1 ?
what about flashing to LS or labelflash (i did with the 112)?

Like i said i want the best on the DELL and a newer fully working drive on the 2nd machine
(I have enough drives that each has it’s own issue; like not read RWs/ DVD burning no longer works, etc)

[QUOTE=Dr Klovernutz;2072286]so replace the Pio 112 with a Pio 115?

Pioneer 115_can i make this drive RPC1 ?
what about flashing to LS or labelflash (i did with the 112)?

Like i said i want the best on the DELL and a newer fully working drive on the 2nd machine
(I have enough drives that each has it’s own issue; like not read RWs/ DVD burning no longer works, etc)[/QUOTE]Actually i don’t see anything wrong with what you have now.

The Pioneer 115 seems to be as good as the 215 and yes you can flash them just like the 112.

I have many drives mainly because each one has it good features. There is not any drive that can do everything i want.

I hate to suggest a certain drive to someone and then only to get told that drive is crap so maybe someone will suggest something to you.

[QUOTE=Bob;2072291]I hate to suggest a certain drive to someone and then only to get told that drive is crap so maybe someone will suggest something to you.[/QUOTE]Very true. :iagree:

Many times it’s better to find out what media code/brand of discs you are going to use and then pick the writer based on that by looking at previously posted scans.

The Pioneer / Lite-On in the Dell is an excellent combination. The Pioneer is a strong DVD/CD burner and the Lite-On is a strong scanner/TRT/ripping drive. I assume you have the Pioneer set to master and the Lite-On to slave?

I’d keep the Pioneer and Lite-on in the Dell and add a Samsung SH-203B (good all-around burner) to the Celeron D.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151153

thanks everybody!
i appreciate the input.

Yes the Pioneer 112 is master
the LiteOn is slave in the dell

and yes i was looking for a single unit for the Celeron D computer.

I 99.99% always use Verbatim DVD+R/ CD-R/ DVD+R DL.
as for RW media I have Verbatim DVD+RW and TDK CD-RW.

I would like to keep the best equipment in the Dell.

What is the advantage of the SATA vs IDE? Is it just speed?