Buying illegal discs over the internet?

I was wondering. One guy on eBay with nickname superpolicarpo (superpolicarpo@yahoo.com) sold me illegal copy of VCD.

He took 15 pound for it, didn’t want to return it and for my money called me names, gave me negative feedback and sayd he can do what he want, but it already other story. He excepts only money in envelope and his address is by the way
The question is:

VCD had 5 concerts of Britney Spears concerts, that was never officially released on DVD or CD. So this guy just downloaded this 5 concerts from piratebay, compressed them so that now it’s only dancing pixels. This guy claims VCD to be leagal and good.

Well, he also says that his mom is laywer, but I think he is just the person who lies and believes himself in it. If his mother would be a laywer - he would not do such things.

So question is, if he can be punished in right way (???), cause he just continue to do it… and some other cd’s with Pink and smb else. I know that for Miami concert exclusive right belong to MSM.

Oooops…didn’t realise Dee was on the case as well, hehe :o

Welcome to the forum, lady13 :slight_smile:

Have you tried going about things legally yourself and letting eBay know about this seller?

Hey,

Yeah, I did. That is exactly what I do last 3 days, but this is just teenager… and he is stubborn - you tell him that he does smth wrong - he says you lying and everything is good.

If interesting can forward his e-mails, where he says that he can do anything what he wants (that is his exact words).

And when I tried friendly to explain that I find such buy offensive and would like my money back - he just started to call me names and say I stupid.

And + question is if it’s legal to write bunch of concerts (downloaded from piratebay) and then sell it?

Copyrighted material may not be sold by someone who does not own that copyright.
I would report the user to eBay and forward the e-mails. Perhaps report him to the authorities…

The short answer is no- copyrighted material…but I am no a lawyer

Da_ Taxman get out of my mind aaahhhh…LOL

[quote=Da_Taxman;2010761]Copyrighted material may not be sold by someone who does not own that copyright.
I would report the user to eBay and forward the e-mails. Perhaps report him to the authorities…[/quote]

I did reported to authorities… well… to FACT… and some other… I’m searching for Portugal guys where I can give this info.

And also reported to eBay, but they lazy… nobody wanna do nothing, but the horrible thing is - they have no phone number - only e-mail - and e-mails they read through lines or smth… :confused:

[QUOTE=lady13;2010774]I did reported to authorities… well… to FACT… and some other… I’m searching for Portugal guys where I can give this info.

And also reported to eBay, but they lazy… nobody wanna do nothing, but the horrible thing is - they have no phone number - only e-mail - and e-mails they read through lines or smth… :confused:[/QUOTE]

I had the same problem on eBay several years ago. They won’t do a thing about it and yes, the seller gets the last comment and will usually try to make you look bad. At the time it was only the 3rd time I had bought anything from eBay, but it was definitely the last. Oh, I’m sure eBay gets complaints everyday, it’s part of business especially the auction busines… if eBay really wanted to do something about piracy and forgeries on eBay, they could stop most of it, but they don’t and face front they try to project an image of deep concern and care saying that they want your experience to be a pleasant and satisfying one when they really could care less as long as they get their percentage of items sold.

The guys an idiot if he thinks that these VCD’s are legal and good. So what if he says mum’s a lawyer? There’s good lawyers and plenty of bad ones. Regardless of that, I lived in Portugal for many years and honestly, I don’t see them trying to track him down for alleged selling of VCD’s. Alleged because it’ll be your word against his. For whatever you paid for them it won’t be worth their hassle. Sad but true. Happens everyday in America much less in Portugal. Count it a lesson learned.

[QUOTE=lady13;2010746]VCD had 5 concerts of Britney Spears concerts, that was never officially released on DVD or CD. So this guy just downloaded this 5 concerts from piratebay, compressed them so that now it’s only dancing pixels. This guy claims VCD to be leagal and good.
[/QUOTE]

I guess your problem is not that it may be illegal and the content may be copyrighted by others, the problem is you paid money and you got only “dancing pixels” for your money. And now you annoyed and want “revenge”.

When the concerts never been released on DVD, than you can be very sure that this material could be illegal or is in thew gray area…

So why buying that VCD… :confused:

Don’t understand me wrong, it is not ok selling copyrighted material. If I’d see something like that I’d report it, no question, but I’d never buy it, even if I’m a fan.

The point is, ebay has to react and do something against that law break. quick!
If they don’t they are also law breakers.

First I want to say I have had mostly good experiences on ebay.But you are wasting your time getting ebay to do anything to a seller.I tried a couple of times.One of the time it was a poster represented as original.Not only was it a copy(a very good one) so I kept it.But it was also copyrighted & used the Winchester trademark.I reported it to ebay & Winchester the last time I checked the seller was still selling this poster on ebay.
So sue the person if it is worth your time & that is even possible otherwise just leave negative feedback on ebay & take the loss.He will probably leave negative feedback on you if he hasn’t already.
If you can email a complaint to one of the performers Brittany for instance maybe they would be able to do more.Of course it wouldn’t be a direct email to Britanny but through an official site.Or try her recording label company to email.

You might be able to get interpol involved since they deal with such things. Was the transaction all within portugal?

No, unfortunetely not and I sent him money in envelope (also was stupid). But about Interpol I was already thinking… just already have no forces, but this guy is just teenager and for him it’s a game - he has the whole day to play wih me… I don’t have that time :rolleyes:

you live and learn on ebay…and with that you always pay with paypal and never EVER give feedback until you are satisified with what product you win…