Buying commercially produced CD's... am I an idiot? Please help I am going insane! :P

vbimport

So I decided a few weeks ago, that there are a few bands out there that I like enough to actually go out and buy their CD’s. Namely Weezer, Radiohead, and Coldplay. So I bought a whole pile of them, a number of which I had to take back to the store to exchnage them due to scratches (yes, on a brand spanking new CD) or imperfections (spots on the playing surface where the plastic wasn’t finished properly).

As if that wasn’t bad enough having to return those ones, but there have been a few that have have imperfections in the audio. They aren’t actual skips that interrupt the timing of the song. The best way I can think of to describe them is ‘tiny flecks of audio static’. It’s a tiny split second “tick” sound that occurs once or even a few times throughout a song. It’s not real loud, but with my earphones on, when I am paying attention, I can hear it.

I have listened to sound files of the songs with these imperfections on the internet. Some have them, and some don’t at all. Some I have exchanged to find that the clicks are gone in the original spot, but are present in a different song.

Has anyone else experienced this? Why am I paying money for these CD’s? What is the benefit of buying these CD’s? I feel like an idiot when people ask me “How come you’re buying them? Why don’t you just download it for free?”. I want to say “So I can have a higher quality CD”. But clearly that would be a big fat lie.

Tell me there is SOMEONE out these that is having this same problem. I personally don’t think I am being too picky when I am paying good money for these things.

Help me :stuck_out_tongue: lol

[QUOTE=cj22;2080196]So I decided a few weeks ago, that there are a few bands out there that I like enough to actually go out and buy their CD’s. Namely Weezer, Radiohead, and Coldplay. So I bought a whole pile of them, a number of which I had to take back to the store to exchnage them due to scratches (yes, on a brand spanking new CD) or imperfections (spots on the playing surface where the plastic wasn’t finished properly).

As if that wasn’t bad enough having to return those ones, but there have been a few that have have imperfections in the audio. They aren’t actual skips that interrupt the timing of the song. The best way I can think of to describe them is ‘tiny flecks of audio static’. It’s a tiny split second “tick” sound that occurs once or even a few times throughout a song. It’s not real loud, but with my earphones on, when I am paying attention, I can hear it.

I have listened to sound files of the songs with these imperfections on the internet. Some have them, and some don’t at all. Some I have exchanged to find that the clicks are gone in the original spot, but are present in a different song.

Has anyone else experienced this? [B][B]Why am I paying money for these CD’s?[/B][/B] What is the benefit of buying these CD’s? I feel like an idiot when people ask me “How come you’re buying them? Why don’t you just download it for free?”. I want to say “So I can have a higher quality CD”. But clearly that would be a big fat lie.

Tell me there is SOMEONE out these that is having this same problem. I personally don’t think I am being too picky when I am paying good money for these things.

Help me :stuck_out_tongue: lol[/QUOTE]

Because of legality & laws and the production & merch costs…

It happens, but it’s scarse in my experience. I buy lots of audio CDs and I have met this only a couple of time in the last 15 years.

You should get a refund: these are defective products.

“Download it for free”? Well, better read the forum rules before discussing this any further. :cop:

The reason really is that when you buy CDs the writers and artists make a small amount of cash on the sale. Of course, when I talked with a lot of pro musicians who felt they were treated fairly with distribution on sites like eMusic, I made the switch to legal downloads.

[QUOTE=Francksoy;2082037]It happens, but it’s scarse in my experience. I buy lots of audio CDs and I have met this only a couple of time in the last 15 years.

You should get a refund: these are defective products.

“Download it for free”? Well, better read the forum rules before discussing this any further. :cop:[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the responses. Frank… I didn’t say I should, or would download anything for free, but that is a common question people have asked me when telling them about this problem is all. I did end up getting an exchange on the mentioned products and all seems well… :smiley: Thank goodness for Future Shop’s liberal exchange policy is all I have to say.

I prefer buying CD’s… my point is all the whining record companies are doing about people who steal music blah blah blah, then those of us who don’t steal it seem to get products that go through little to no quality control. What a reward lol

[QUOTE=cj22;2082128]my point is all the whining record companies are doing about people who steal music blah blah blah, then those of us who don’t steal it seem to get products that go through little to no quality control. What a reward lol[/QUOTE]I see you point. :slight_smile: I’ve been whining against these greedy companies too (and that’s despite the fact that I’m a recording musician myself :p). But I don’t think that what you experienced is a common problem, I think you’ve been very unlucky to get defective discs the very first time you decided to buy some. As previously said, I buy lots of audio CDs (3 to 7 a month), and the last time I had defective discs was… 2 years ago! :slight_smile:

Currently I’m more concerned with the potential longevity of manufactured audio CDs, than I am about their original condition…

Oh great, something else to worry about LOL What are the concerns regarding their longevity if you don’t mind me asking? :smiley:

[QUOTE=cj22;2082135]Oh great, something else to worry about LOL What are the concerns regarding their longevity if you don’t mind me asking? :D[/QUOTE]Simple, modern economics. Since the 80’s, the lifespan of consumer products never ceases to decrease (except for newer technologies appliances, like Plasma TVs for instance). Things must cost very little to produce, must be produced fast, and the profit must be repeatable after some time.

So I’ve witnessed shorter life TVs, irons, washing machines, printers, whatever. Consumer products get cheaper all the time, but the price to pay is… shorter lifepsan.

I personally believe that audio CDs currently sold won’t last much longer than 6-8 years, while my very first audio CDs bought in the mid 80’s are still perfectly readable. This is based on the observation of my collection, showing that the discs becoming unreadable after some time all are discs bought during the last 10 years…

“Buy cheap, buy twice” => Modern marketing knows very well how to force us into a loop of buying cheap, buying several times! :rolleyes:

[quote=Francksoy;2082143]Simple, modern economics. Since the 80’s, the lifespan of consumer products never ceases to decrease (except for newer technologies appliances, like Plasma TVs for instance). Things must cost very little to produce, must be produced fast, and the profit must be repeatable after some time.

So I’ve witnessed shorter life TVs, irons, washing machines, printers, whatever. Consumer products get cheaper all the time, but the price to pay is… shorter lifepsan.

I personally believe that audio CDs currently sold won’t last much longer than 6-8 years, while my very first audio CDs bought in the mid 80’s are still perfectly readable. This is based on the observation of my collection, showing that the discs becoming unreadable after some time all are discs bought during the last 10 years…

“Buy cheap, buy twice” => Modern marketing knows very well how to force us into a loop of buying cheap, buying several times! :rolleyes:[/quote]
I sure hope that not going to happen to me. I have 3,000 plus music cd’s. I guess I should back them up to hdd just in case

[QUOTE=GJ;2082155]I guess I should back them up to hdd just in case[/QUOTE]I think that having backups of anything that is really precious to you, or difficult to find again in case of trouble, is a good idea… :slight_smile:

I’ve backed up (ripped as FLAC to HD, then included in regular HD backups) about 430-450 of my audio CDs I think. I didn’t rip each and everyone of them, it’s far too time-consuming! :doh: I choosed the ones I really was afraid to loose in any way.

i backed up and got rid of a ton of discs not too long ago (space concerns); while i’ve only had a few issues over the years, the ones i have had make me glad for the backups

[QUOTE=cj22;2080196]Tell me there is SOMEONE out these that is having this same problem. I personally don’t think I am being too picky when I am paying good money for these things.

Help me :stuck_out_tongue: lol[/QUOTE]

You are not alone. I just got couple CD’s on weekend and couple of songs have noise(sounds like a very quiet drum) on them.
I guess CD’s are not as good as they used to be. I think that the presses are getting old and no one want to invest in new.
It is a shame.