Buying budget printers

I have three options :

A) Lexmark Z25 (1200x1200)
B) Epson CU41 (1440x720)
C) HP 3325 (1200x600)

Which one should I choose ? Lexmark is the cheapest in my place but I’m not sure of it’s reliability. Epson is well-known but a bit more expansive. HP is popular for Laser Printers, but I am not sure of Inkjet printers.

I think all three are good.

The advantage(:confused:) of HP printers is the fact that every time you exchange cartridges, you get a new head as well. This garantuees a good printing quality (print heads that have been used too much give bad results), but is also the cause of the higher price you have you pay for their cartridges.

Ink for Epson printers is cheaper than HPs ink, but Epson printers consume more Ink than HP printers do. Their printing quality is really good.

Lexmark has nice quality as well. Although they’ve got really cheap products, with a reasonable (but not excellent) quality, they are reliable.

What you should choose? That’s hard to say.
Some points that you should think about:

• for what will the printer mainly be used?
  • are secondary tasks important?
  • is speed important?
  • what operating systems do you want to use?
  • how frequent will the printer be used?

lexmark is pretty bad mate don’t waste your money on one. Where i used to work they sold lexmark, epsom and hp and nearly 95% of the lexmarks always came back, followed by epsom which had mainly print head and rail (bars the print head slides along) troubles.

I have a HP myself it does good quality printing and i haven’t had any troubles at all with it. Hope this helps

Originally posted by slayerking
lexmark is pretty bad mate don’t waste your money on one. Where i used to work they sold lexmark, epsom and hp and nearly 95% of the lexmarks always came back, followed by epsom which had mainly print head and rail (bars the print head slides along) troubles.

We’ve got Lexmarks here at the office (inkjets and laser) and they run really fine. Some of them are about 4 years old now and they’ve never caused any problems!

Originally posted by slayerking
I have a HP myself it does good quality printing and i haven’t had any troubles at all with it. Hope this helps

About the same here… had 3 HP’s right now (600C, 710C and 930C) and only one caused problems (600C)… the rest is still working very fine :slight_smile:

My 2 cents:
The price of the printer is irrelevant. If you do anything more than occasional printing, it’s the price per page that you should be looking at. HP in particular has their consumables priced so that the cheaper printers use the most expensive carts, half-filled carts and various other deceptive tactics. Other brands use things like chipped carts to prevent re-filling. If you want economical printing costs, Canon is highly recommended, with separate tanks and heads and low cost per page. Separate ink tanks is a must for economy. I also agree that HP has an edge for quality, but their high cost per page and deceptive marketing has crossed them off my list forever. I still use one, but I refill the carts. Epson has easily the highest frequency of problem posts on the usenet groups, head clogging being a common post.

I have examined the specs pf those printers and found out that :

a) Lexmark has the highest quality (1200x1200) followed by Epson and HP.

b) HP is the most advance(97Mhz, 76kB RAM) followed by Lexmark(25Mhz, ??? RAM) and Epson (??? Mhz, 25 kB RAM).

c) Epson is the fastest (12/6ppm) followed by Lexmark(9/6) and HP (8/6).

d) Lexmark is the cheapest (RM 118) followed by HP (160) and Epson(188).

e)I can get Epson refills easily compared to HP and Lexmark.

Currently I am using a Lexmark 1000 and that printer really S**KS. I have to manually feed the paper one by one.

I just want to know which printer is value for money. I am using it to print assignments and paper work.

To define value for printers, you need to put ink cartridges into the equation. I for one love Canon BubbleJet printers. The cheapest BubbleJet is the i320, which costs $50. Black ink in costs $6.50, which color ink costs $18.50. You’ll get about 500-600 text pages from the black ink.

Replace cartridge price for:

Lexmark Z25: $32 (Black), $35 (Color)
Epson CU41: $17 (Black), $19 (Color)
HP 3325: $18 (Black), $22 (Color)

If you can get a Canon printer for fairly good prices, I’d definitely choose it over the other three brands.

i recently got an i320 for $30 on a deal, and while i pretty much only print b&w text, i’d have to say i’m very happy with it. the quality and value is much more than u pay for, and the cost of ink cart refills is very low too.

i just found out about a website that sells black for $3.49 and color for $4.95 if u buy 7+ or more of each (they sell in lower quantities, but buying in bulk is a better value), and on top of that, they have a 10% off coupon and free shipping and free gifts for the month of march. the site is http://www.123inkjets.com for anyone who’s interested, and the coupon code is SAVE10. the order i made a few days ago is supposed to arrive any day now.

i320 is more expensive tan these printers here. It costs about RM 300.

I just found out that Epson uses a technology called "Piezoelectric wherelse other manufactures such as Canon and Lexmark uses “Thermal Bubble” technology.

What are the advatages and disadvantages of these printing technologies ? Which one is better ?

Since Epson C41UX can print only 720dpi vertically, I might fo for the i320 because it can print at 2400x1200. The problem is the price difference between them is quite big.

How big difference in terms of print quality between them?

Should I go for the Epson or Canon ? I can’t find any review for the Epson C41 ? Is there any printer’s review site ?

Can anyone who own these printers post their experience or comments ?

I just found out that Epson uses a technology called "Piezoelectric

One difference is that the Epsons clog a lot.

Less just say the Canon BubbleJet I bought 9 years ago is still running strong, given it’s only a simple B&W printer. The Epson color printer I purchased lasted about 6 months due to poor print head, spilling ink and bringing the printer to the grave. I replaced the Epson w/ a Canon S530, and it’s been printing out sweet photos taken w/ my Canon digicam for the past year.