Buying Bitcoins and anonymity

vbimport

I’ve looked extensively into how this currency works, and in terms of buying online and remaining anonymous I’m a little confused as to just HOW FAR one has to go to remain anonymous.

I know that Bitcoins can be bought from certain sites legally and that there is a certain ‘break’ in the chain in terms of anonymity because the company that you buy them from will have your bank details… but that doesn’t concern me because I’m not looking to buy uranium with them.

1a) In regards to everything else, If I were to buy bitcoins, an email address is ALWAYS needed - in terms of remaining anonymous, does the email address have any tie to the bitcoins? Should one get a new email address for Bitcoin use as opposed to their regular address?

1b) If so, does the service used for the email address matter - does it need to be encrypted or anything? Should Tor or something similar only ever be used to access the email address?

1. Is a web-based wallet safer in terms of anonymity, as opposed to say on my HDD (flash drives always seem to die on me)? I can’t see myself ever having much money sitting in the wallet at any one time. I guess I’m also paranoid about ‘trails’ left online or on my PC and whatnot; maybe I don’t appreciate how well Tor covers one’s tracks?

I’m sure that I may have more questions crop up about how it works but those are the ones that I could do with having immediately answered, if someone would be kind enough to help me out. : )

BUMP. No replies? Is this perhaps in the wrong section?

[QUOTE=SG;2737429]
1a) In regards to everything else, If I were to buy bitcoins, an email address is ALWAYS needed - in terms of remaining anonymous, does the email address have any tie to the bitcoins? Should one get a new email address for Bitcoin use as opposed to their regular address? [/quote] You need the address and your wallet because they have to verify that you paid for them. After that you can transfer anything to another wallet yourself.

1b) If so, does the service used for the email address matter - does it need to be encrypted or anything? Should Tor or something similar only ever be used to access the email address?
If you require such anonimity yeah

1. Is a web-based wallet safer [B]in terms of anonymity[/B]
    Of course not. It’s a wallet hosted by a webservice online.

, as opposed to say on my HDD (flash drives always seem to die on me)?
You should make multiple backups of your wallet and/or print it on normal paper.

I have a blockchain wallet myself. (2 factor authentication of course) It’s linked to some information about me, but i don’t really mind. I can always transfer everything to another wallet should i want to.

I have one Bitcoin in my wallet. I received it for a 35.00usd keyboard 3 years ago, or there about. So far its been a good investment, I can spend it many places, including places that sell computer parts but I am looking at this in the form of a escalating investment, not selling any part of it yet.