Buying an enclosure

vbimport

I’m in the market for a DVD burner, and I think I’ve settled on this one off of newegg:

SAMSUNG Black 18X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 18X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner With LightScribe Technology - OEM
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827151141)

It’s a bit more pricey than the others, but the free shipping is appealing.

Anyway, I wanted to use this as an external DVD writer, so I heard you could buy an enclosure of some sort to convert the internal DVD writer to an external. I’ve looked around on the web and there seem to be so many options, and I’m completely lost. Do you have any suggestions as to where to look for something that would be compatible for the DVD burner I’m thinking of buying? I’m looking for something for pretty inexpensive.

Also, do you think this burner would be a good choice? I’m primarily using it to back-up my DVD collection.

If you have any other suggestions for DVD burner/enclosure combo’s, I’d really appreciate it.

Not an easy and straight answer, if we look at previous posts.
You can search in this site ( including in the hardware/LG drives section) the discussions, as there are too many makers and even different used chipsets that provide distinct results inder the same norm.
With your drive, you have eSATA, USB2, Firewire 400 and firewire 800 options.
Most previous discussion were about USB/Firewire 400 and sometimes firewire can be faster eeven if USB2 offers 480 agst 400 (depending on the firewire chipsest and the nature of the files).
They work in different ways, with firewire providing a constinuous stream and USB using I/O cicles and buffer.
eSATA will depend on the norm of your drive and the adaptor board (as you have SATA I, II,…).
At the end, you have to choose base on some aspects, one being the absolute maximum speed, but sometimes it is not the most important and depends on your priorities.