Buying a Plextor PX-820A or not?

vbimport

Hello forum members,

I need your opinion and knowledge. :slight_smile:

I am going to buy a new DVD-writer and my primary object is Plextor PX-820A.

For sure I know, it’s still very expensive, but in one of my machines an old PX-712A works, which always did a good job.

Further a reason for buying the PX-820A are the PlexTools. Searching on this Forum I found some posts about writing quality of the PX-810 model and seems you can check media (especially DVD) quality with Nero CD-DVD Speed too?

A must for me is: Possibility to check DVD media for quality and no problems with CD/DVD protections (don’t know if still HW exists, which can do the job better/worse)

Okay, here are my questions:

Do other DVD-writers have this feature?
Can you utilize it with Nero CD-DVD speed too?
What HW is in the PX-820A?
Is the PX-820 just a Sony/NEC Optiarc rebadge?
Are older models (maybe) better and if yes, can you recommend one?
Do you have other suggestion for high quality DVD-writer?

I like Sony/NEC Optiarc devices too!

Thanks.
pho3nix

[QUOTE=pho3nix;2174004]
Further a reason for buying the PX-820A are the PlexTools. Searching on this Forum I found some posts about writing quality of the PX-810 model and seems you can check media (especially DVD) quality with Nero CD-DVD Speed too?
Do other DVD-writers have this feature?
Can you utilize it with Nero CD-DVD speed too?
What HW is in the PX-820A?
Is the PX-820 just a Sony/NEC Optiarc rebadge?
Are older models (maybe) better and if yes, can you recommend one?
Do you have other suggestion for high quality DVD-writer?
[/QUOTE]

• No. Plextools makes little sense with the rebadged drives that Plextor nowadays sells. Most features are not supported by these drives. The NEC does support some scanning features but not the rebadged Plextor (unless you crossflash)
  • Yes, to a varying degree. Liteon and Samsung come to mind. Benq if you buy used.
  • Mostly. Some registry hacks may be needed. Other software is available too.
  • A NEC 7200.
  • Yes.
  • If you want a Plextor for it’s features i’d recommend you buy not one of the rebadged ones but the “true” designs which were models 708, 712, 716, 755, 760.
  • If you want a Plextor: A 755/760. With some luck you can still find a new boxed unit on ebay. We even have a thread for searching: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f43/problems-finding-plextor-drives-222536/

Plextor has stopped making their own designs but recently started trying to ‘revive’ the extra functionality they once offered also with rebadged drives. Soon to be available in the USA:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f43/new-drives-px-806sa-px-850a-sa-px-q840-px-610u-255426/
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f43/plexutilites-anybody-hear-about-software-255764/

[QUOTE=hwp;2174531]

• If you want a Plextor for it’s features i’d recommend you buy not one of the rebadged ones but the “true” designs which were models 708, 712, 716, 755, 760.
    [/QUOTE]

Not a 708, it’s a real Plextor with Sanyo Chipset but can’t do scans and many other features of Plextools. Only the 708A2 can cause it has the hardware of PX-712.

To the OP for scanning use a LiteOn, this ist the best choice of actual drives (but only for DVD Scans), the NEC 7200 maybe the second best. Rumours said a new Plextor is comming based on LiteOn iHas which will support scanning again. But why buying a Plextor/LiteOn for the double price of the original. Makes no sense to me, but maybe the name Plextor still has some Placebo effect to some people. :slight_smile:

Thanks for your answers.
But now I am a little confused, because I can’t really follow your statements.

@hwp
I tried to combine your answers and my questions, but I couldn’t always match them. :frowning:

Okay, first thing: Plextor PX-820 is a rebadged NEC7200 drive without Labelflash and Lightscribe technology?

On looking through Plextor’s site, I didn’t find any information for PlexTools support of the PX-820A, but PX-800A.

The latest good known devices are PX-755A, PX-760A, PX-800A (only ATA models are considered).
Do you know, if above mentioned devices support PlexTools Q-Check features completely (see below)?

Ups, sorry. Read the thread you posted and saw the PX-800A is a rebadged Sony/NEC device. But maybe it supports despite all Q-Check features?

Can you give me a hint, link, name for other available media quality check SW / registry hacks?

@BurningFish
Does this mean, current drives (which ones exactly please?) of LiteOn and other support DVD media quality check? With Nero utilities?

I have created a short list of scans (maybe there are more?):

• Q-Check C1/C2 Test
  • Q-Check FE/TE Test
  • Q-Check Beta/Jitter Test
  • Q-Check PI/PO Test (especially for DVD media)
  • Q-Check TA Test

Which of them are supported by current NEC or LiteOn devices?

However, want to mention again, the DVD PI/PO test is the most important to me, because I know, if DVD media is something for my bin or not.

Hope you can answer my questions. Would be great!

Thanks,
pho3nix

[QUOTE=pho3nix;2174739]

Okay, first thing: Plextor PX-820 is a rebadged NEC7200 drive without Labelflash and Lightscribe technology?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

[QUOTE=pho3nix;2174739]
The latest good known devices are PX-755A, PX-760A, PX-800A (only ATA models are considered).
Do you know, if above mentioned devices support PlexTools Q-Check features completely (see below)?[/QUOTE]

PX-755 and 760, Px-800A is also NEC, no Q-Check. Even rebadget Plextor OEm drives drives who has scanning abilities such as PX-740A (BenQ 1640) are not supported for Q Check with Plextools.

[QUOTE=pho3nix;2174739]
Can you give me a hint, link, name for other available media quality check [/QUOTE]

CD DVD Speed

[QUOTE=pho3nix;2174739]
Does this mean, current drives (which ones exactly please?) of LiteOn and other support DVD media quality check? With Nero utilities?[/QUOTE]

Yes and every LiteOn DVD burner has this ability as you can see in thousands of posts in many scanthreads here in this forum. An DH20A4P or A4H is a good option as burner and scanner, imho as burner better than the new IHas models and still available. You can test for PIE, PIF, jitter, and TA jitter with CD-DVD Speed. Beta and TE/FE is possible with DVD Scan beta. As already said for CD they are not of much use, you can test for C1 and C2 but it shows only E31 as C1 which is most times the smalest part of the real C1 and alone not enough to make an opinion about the burn quality. You can only scan for absence of C2 better than nothing. So LiteOn is the only complete substitute for a Plextor you can still buy, but only for DVD scanning. For CD if it is important for you you might look for a used BenQ 1640/1650, these are perfect CD scanners also with CD-DVD speed and DVD scanners too. To buy a used BenQ and a new LiteOn might be still even cheaper than a used PX-760A.

[QUOTE=pho3nix;2174739]
Which of them are supported by current NEC or LiteOn devices?[/QUOTE]

Actual NECs support PIE and PIF nothing else for DVD, and they have some more CD scanning abilities than LiteOn. I don’t use it for CD cause I have BenQs and a PX-755 which are much more capable in doing this. For DVD scanning I use LiteOn most times.

[QUOTE=pho3nix;2174739]
I tried to combine your answers and my questions, but I couldn’t always match them. :([/QUOTE]

It’s very simple. I quoted seven question of yours and each dash below relates to one of them in the same order.

[QUOTE=pho3nix;2174739]On looking through Plextor’s site, I didn’t find any information for PlexTools support of the PX-820A, but PX-800A.[/QUOTE]

Neither the 800 nor the 820 are supported in Plextools, since both are rebadged drives.

[QUOTE=pho3nix;2174739]The latest good known devices are PX-755A, PX-760A, PX-800A (only ATA models are considered).[/QUOTE]

The 755/760 is a true Plextor design, the 800 is a rebadge.

[QUOTE=pho3nix;2174739]Do you know, if above mentioned devices support PlexTools Q-Check features completely (see below)?[/QUOTE]

Only the 755/760 do.

[QUOTE=pho3nix;2174739]Can you give me a hint, link, name for other available media quality check SW / registry hacks?[/QUOTE]

K-probe
DVDscan
DVDinfopro
The hack is about removing the “block” for certain drives for CD-Speed

Great! Thanks for all the answers. Nothing more to say. :bow:
I appreciate you! :slight_smile:

pho3nix

save your money
plextor not good strategy