Buying a new burner

Hello all, I am new to this forum. I wish to buy a new cd burner. I have read FutureProof’s recommendations as well as the thread about which burner to buy. Since it is later in the year, which burner should I buy and which software would be best. I wish to back up games and copy audio cd’s. I would like to defeat all copy protection schemes currently in use. I have a TDK 16/10/40x which is the sanyo model I believe. Some describe it as “sucks”. I do not which to make a purchase and find that I cannot make reliable back-ups. Help me please!!!

Thank you all for your effort and responses.
:bow:

I have read FutureProof’s recommendations as well as the thread about which burner to buy.
And you’ve reached to no conclusion? :wink:

If i were you i’d have to choose between the Asus 48x or 40x drive, the new 48xPlexie , the 48xLitie and the CRWF1. You can read the reviews about them on the mainpage.

As far as software is concerned, i use CCD and BlindWrite for protected games and Nero for audio. There are other possibilities, like CDMate, DiscDump - Fireburner etc, search the forums a bit :wink:

:bigsmile: Well, I guess I am consumed with fear :eek: ! I always seem to make a purchase and then in 30 days +/- a much better option appears. Oh well, that is the way of computer upgrades. Things I consider:
Serial ATA around the corner. I wonder how fast the burners will be then, hehe. (Transfer Rates, not necessarily burn speed) The asus seems to be a good all around choice. I have not tested my TDK 16/10/40x with any newer audio cd’s, but as of yet I have not found one I cannot copy or rip from. However with Commanche 4, I could not back it up. I use Nero that came with the drive and the latest firmware, and latest Nero update. I may just not be setting up Nero properly, there are so many options and my newbie self has not grasped all of them yet. Thank you so much for responding. I like the Asus, but does anyone know of any major leaps that will occur in a month or two that would lead me to waiting a bit longer. I am really in no hurry.

I am learning, slowly but surely, with all you peoples help!

Thanks again.

P.S. Great web site, keep up the good work. I am telling all my friends about it.

You’re welcome :wink:

Just stick around and be sure you’ll finally make the best possible choice :slight_smile:

Originally posted by Mournblade
[B]Serial ATA around the corner. I wonder how fast the burners will be then, hehe. (Transfer Rates, not necessarily burn speed)

No need to worry about this.
any more rpm and the disks will explode in your burner.

other posiblilty is multiple lasers.
This seems futile as blue-ray is just around the corner.

My advise is the asus.
40x or 48x