Buying a dvd burner soon, opinions\advice needed

vbimport

Ive never bought a dvd burner before and dont have too much expirience with them. Ive kinda been holding out for cheaper\better ones (been waiting for the features to max out) but I just can’t wait anymore.

I’d like to keep the purchase under $100 and have a decent amount of functionality. I’m not afraid of firmware hacking (ive softmoded my radeon 9500 and performed various other hacks on my comp hardware) but I dont like the possiblity of failure. IE I dont like the idea of getting stuck with a NEC 2500A with a diff chipset and being unable to use 2510A firmware with it. If someone could help me out with the general details\possibilities on that issue I would greatly apprecieate it.

I was thinking either a NEC 2500A\2510A(<-or whatever the slightly better model is) or a Lite-On as Ive heard good things about both. I just got done reading a slew of reviews on several drives and am leaning towards the NEC as I remember it having good results even with cheaper media in many of the burns.

I will generally try to use at least medium quality media when burning but would like my burner to do the best with low quality media as well.

Burn times are not a main concern, however I would like to have the drive support good speeds (IE 8X or higher would be nice). Also I would like dual layer burning support at least for when the media gets cheaper before I buy another drive (Which I will probably do when dvd drives have gone about as far as they will).

O crap I forgot to add:

I will also be doing some dvd ripping with the drive, I havea a pioneer dvd-106 drive (I think thats the one, the older dvd-rom drives) but its a bit messed up and I would prefer to use a newer high quality drive for my dvd rips.

I used to believe DVD-R was the best but then read the bitsetting artivcle and like the idea of using DVD+R to fool drives into thinking the disc is pressed.

Also could someone help me out with some media recomendations? I’d like to pay $.50 or so a disc and buy a nice 100 pack to start off with, whats the best\cheapest place to buy? which media to buy?

One LAST thing, I REALLY like the idea of having discs that look pressed, that would mean I would want “diamond” media right? Does anyone have a preference\recomendation for that type?

Awww come on! Someones gotta have SOMETHING to say!

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuump!