Buying a dvd burner for Windows 98SE?

I am looking into getting a dvd burner using an older system that currently runs windows 98se. The specs on my system include 1.4ghz athlon, 128mb ram and 32mb nividia video card. I have been looking at the LG 18X Dual Layer Internal LightScribe DVD Rewriter (GSA-H22L) and the HP Internal DVD-RW With LightScribe (740RE). Now I am just wondering, the requirements say that you need Windows XP and I am wondering if Windows98SE will even work with these DVD burners? I know I will not be able to write at max speed with my current specs but I am thinking I should be able to burn at 8X as long as Windows98SE can be used. Thanks for any help that can be provided.

The drives should work fine, the modern software however will likely not load on to such a system. If you can use a pre-existing install of Nero/Roxio with support for DVD burning then the drive should be usable.

Brother Vlad

Hi,

Consider upgrading RAM. Buying additional 256MB should increase overall performance of your system.

and 32mb nividia video card. I have been looking at the LG 18X Dual Layer Internal LightScribe DVD Rewriter (GSA-H22L) and the HP Internal DVD-RW With LightScribe (740RE). Now I am just wondering, the requirements say that you need Windows XP and I am wondering if Windows98SE will even work with these DVD burners?
There is no problem running a DVD writer on Win98SE, but forget about Lightscribe, as this feature indeed requires Win2000 or XP.
Nero 6.6 runs fine on Win98SE, too. I don’t know about newer versions, please check at nero.com if you plan using Nero 7.x
Another restriction with Win98 and ME is the filesystem. You may not be able to create disc images above 4 GB, as FAT32 does not allow larger file sizes. But maybe there are other mechanisms used by burning software if a DVD has to be copied.

Michael

If you look at any drive specs online, they will list which operating systems they will work. Just that with non-WinXP OSes, you’ll need to download drivers for the burner (usually from the support page of their website).

It’s an optical drive. It doesn’t need drivers installed for it, all versions of Windows should recognise DVD-+RW drives without any problems.

But like mciahel said, trying to burn with an older file system could lead to burning problems. But in no way should this effect the ability of Windows to recognise and install the drive itself. :disagree:

This is correct, but there is one exception: If a USB connected drive has to be installed, there are drivers for the enclosure required.

Michael

If installed on Win98SE, Nero 7 will ask for DirectX 9c (or b, can’t remember).

Not sure how it runs though, the PC I tried to install it on wasn’t connected to the net, so I couldn’t grab the appropriate version of DirectX.

Other than that, definitely add more RAM as suggested.

:slight_smile: