Buyer Beware Taiyo Yuden Value Line

I purchased 400 TY 8x DVD-R white inkjet hub printables (TYG02. The first 200 produced good results. So I decided to get another 200. The 2nd batch of 200 were terrible. 1 out of 5 Discs were readable in the first 100 so I just trashed the last 100. Totally unacceptable and a big waste time and hard earned cash. I’ve had better results with cheap media. I feel so ripped off. Product is obviously defective yet I cannot return or get a refund. Beware of TY value line.

Any quality scans to show how bad they are?

What did you use to determine they were faulty? Not working in dvd player or something?

Scans with Lite-ON LH-20A1S. This disc was burned at 4x. Pretty typical result with the batch I’ve received, usually spiking at the beginning and at the end. One question though, if it passes the TRT test with a straight curve will it be readable in standalone dvd players & video game consoles?

I strongly suggest burning them 8x, it will give better results.

Also, scan your disc at 4x speed, I dont know if 16x is reliable with your drive.

/also check the Jitter (DVD) scanning under “Advanced”

[QUOTE=jmchea;2030514]I purchased 400 TY 8x DVD-R white inkjet hub printables (TYG02. The first 200 produced good results. So I decided to get another 200. The 2nd batch of 200 were terrible. 1 out of 5 Discs were readable in the first 100 so I just trashed the last 100. Totally unacceptable and a big waste time and hard earned cash. I’ve had better results with cheap media. I feel so ripped off. Product is obviously defective yet I cannot return or get a refund. Beware of TY value line.[/QUOTE]
Where did you purchase these disks?

[quote=Womi;2030738]Also, scan your disc at 4x speed, I dont know if 16x is reliable with your drive.[/quote]It’s not, or at least it’s not with my 20A1S. 4x is best.

here’s a scan at 4x. Burn was at at 8x. They are Value Line TYG02 media. Which test is a better indicator of quality, TRT scan, or Discqualty scan?

[QUOTE=larc919;2030814]It’s not, or at least it’s not with my 20A1S. 4x is best.[/QUOTE]

I find the same with my 20A1H :iagree:…even 8x can be a bit whacky.

But, the TRT-quality scan subject is being discussed in another thread :wink:

Ok first of all:

16x scans can produce high errors at both the start and end of the disc.

Do 4x scans for now.

Second - burn @ 4x or 6x and scan @ 4x. Post the results here. There’s a possibility that your discs may in fact be reasonable burns with no major problems.

more valueline TYG02

That scan looks very weird, 4x CAV reading speed?

Why dont you scan the disc with your 20A4P to compare the results?

Post the TRTs too :iagree:

I have always had very good results with so called value line TY, in fact most of the time much better results than Verb TY.

Product is obviously defective yet I cannot return or get a refund.

Why cant you return them ?

[QUOTE=Lenny_Nero;2033073]I have always had very good results with so called value line TY, in fact most of the time much better results than Verb TY.

Why cant you return them ?[/QUOTE]I’ve found TYG02 ValueLine(from Meritline) ok, my TYG03 Value Line(from Shop4Tech) is about equal to/worse then M01.

What are your computer specs and are you doing other things while burning
This is rediculous to do in my opinion unless you have a hardcore very beefy machine. In which case I still would burn solely

[QUOTE=Womi;2032966]That scan looks very weird, 4x CAV reading speed?

Why dont you scan the disc with your 20A4P to compare the results?

Post the TRTs too :iagree:[/QUOTE]

yes that is a very odd looking 4x scan :confused:

Ouch :frowning: I just bought some TYG02/TYG03 coded Tayio Yudens (printable Datasafe I think) in an order for CD/DVD media from SVP.

It looks like that might be TYs “Valueline” range. Shame, these will be my first Tayio Yudens (not counting the paper-crippled crap I wrote about in another thread)

Is there any consensus here that TY Value media is that bad? Because even with my NEC drive, which gives fully working media crazy high PIF spikes and 0 Quality Score, if I ever got a scan like that, I’d recover what I could from the disk pronto and then **** it into the garbage can.

[QUOTE=SeanW;2033109]Ouch :frowning: I just bought some TYG02/TYG03 coded Tayio Yudens (printable Datasafe I think) in an order for CD/DVD media from SVP.

It looks like that might be TYs “Valueline” range. Shame, these will be my first Tayio Yudens (not counting the paper-crippled crap I wrote about in another thread)

Is there any consensus here that TY Value media is that bad? Because even with my NEC drive, which gives fully working media crazy high PIF spikes and 0 Quality Score, if I ever got a scan like that, I’d recover what I could from the disk pronto and then **** it into the garbage can.[/QUOTE]While I haven’t been happy with the TYG03 ValueLine I haven’t had a scan as bad as any on here. I tend to get clumps of PIFs where there’s a tear on the disc after burning, but the PIFs don’t tend to be real high. PIE and jitter tend to be close to on par with better discs. My TYG02 ValueLine has been as good as MCC media for the most part.

[QUOTE=SeanW;2033109]
is there any consensus here that TY Value media is that bad? [/QUOTE]

Na, you just shouldn’t expect premium discs but they are probably fine. The difference i noticed from “real” TY unbranded and “Datasafe” TY was that every Datasafe discs had air bubbles in the hub. I never saw that on the premium discs :slight_smile:

Yes my datasafe non prints have the few air bubbles (and so what I think, there is nothing that they can do), but as for the important things I get the same numbers from my so called value line TY as I do from normal and often much better than verbatim TY.

The OP in this thread is just trying to scare people for no reason, they were doing something like playing games or watching videos while burning.

Here are two scans from my Datasafe TYG02 (about avg numbers) a 4x and an 8x burn and a high speed scan just to cover every area

Any modern system is quite capable of doing other tasks while burning without problems. The OP may have just gotten a bad spindle.