Buy now or wait?

vbimport

Hey all. I'm thinking of buying a new CDRW and I was wondering if you think it would best to buy a 40x or 32x now, or wait a month or so for a better writer. Are there any new technologies/drivers on the horizon? the 32x are a great price at the moment so I might just get one of those.
Any ideas?
Cheers,
Greg.

> or wait a month or so for a better writer

In a month or so, there’ll be the next thing announced that you’d like to wait for. Buy or don’t buy, but do not say “I’ll wait for this or that to be released”…

Buy or don’t buy, but do not say “I’ll wait for this or that to be released”…

True, but waiting does have it’s own advantages. For instance, prices may fall between 10-20%, esp if faster burners are released in the interim. IMHO, it might be better to wait for the 48x16x48x, since MRW support might perhaps require that faster REWRITE speeds be available.

Yes that’s what I meant. I’m not really into speeds of burning, mostly if there is a new technology on some sort coming soon, or will they be mostly the same drives, but just faster speeds.

With 16-20x RW speeds expected to be far more prevalent within the next 2 months, I guess one might as well wait…there’s a quantum reduction in write time from 12x to 16/20x (RW) - at least from my perspective. :slight_smile:

I’m new with Lite-On drives but didn’t they just release the 32x burner about 2 or 3 months ago and the 40x about 1 month or so ago? Won’t it be at least 2 to 3 more months before they release a newer model than the 40x? Also…I don’t think the speeds are going to get much faster than they are for a while (for any burner) rather work on current speeds with TRUE edge to edge burning…imagine a true 40x burn…what…under one minute to burn a whole 700 mb disc? Anyway…I would go ahead and buy one now…they are always going to be coming out with something new and unless you know there is something big coming out like the new upcoming AMD Opteron (server version), I don’t know what AMD is going to call the workstation/desktop version AthlonXP3…hehe…anyway…my point is…the upcoming ClawHammer is a revolutionary change somewhat with 64 bit extensions with a 32 bit main code architecture. I don’t see anything like that in cd burning soon. I say buy one now!! :slight_smile:

Bowen,

While it is true that new models are released every few months, it is also true that prices keep falling on almost a weekly basis for the “old” models. By waiting, I could buy 3 for the price of 2! :smiley:

However, to each his own…:stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by burnproof
[B]Bowen,

While it is true that new models are released every few months, it is also true that prices keep falling on almost a weekly basis for the “old” models. By waiting, I could buy 3 for the price of 2! :smiley:

However, to each his own…:stuck_out_tongue: [/B]

Sure…you would save money too and that’s definitely worth something! I guess you could just look at your options when it’s time to buy for you and see if there is anything new that’s out that’s worth the price or buy the one that’s been out longer and cheaper!!

Honestly, the reason I’m waiting now is that media is not widely available. I see little point in buying a 48x burner that will probably have to make do with 32x certified media.

Then buy a 32125W or 40125 and upgrade it to 48x.

Possible. And what would I do after upgrading to 48x? :smiley:

Most of the data I backup would be relevant to me for another 2 years at least, so I’m not sure if burning 32x CDs (these are the max rated speed that I have access to) at 48x is advisable (from a longevity perspective).

Well just because there is not any 40x+ media yet that does not mean you can’t burn at 40x! I’m using my Imation 16x blanks and on the one test that I’ve done with it, I’ve reached 37x and my friend who has the same LTR-40125S has said that with his Imation discs, he’s burned at 40x…so at least that is not an issue right now. I’m sure that there are some discs that won’t burn that high but I know Imation will and my friend has tested Memorex as well. You still may want to wait until the prices drop though.

Burn at whatever speed you want…

If you are not sure as to durability of data burned at 40x or 48x (i don’t believe in a connection between durability and speed, but of course nobody knows for sure), then you can simply continue to burn at 32x (or better: 22x-32x P-CAV) and only use faster speeds when writing less important stuff.

If your data is that important, you of course do c2 scans regularly…

BTW: Imation is crap media especially for LiteOn: According to cdrinfo, Imation media gives the lowest recording quality in LiteOn 40x…

I believe Plextor has also said that Imation is crap and to be honest…I seem to have a “Green Thumb” if you will with electronics and/or computers. I’ve had very little problems with anything I’ve bought (sure I have problems here and there but usually very minor at that). That being said…I think out of all the Imation discs I’ve burned about 250+ Imation discs alone and out of those discs I’ve only had maybe 4 or 5 max bad discs! Since I’ve had my Plextor I have not had a bad Imation disc. I can’t say with the Lite-On because I just got it. The fews test’s I’ve done with it…I’ve just burned one game MOH but I burned a few discs with it and it burns fine on it so far as I can tell!

Ya know what…I screwed up. I have not tried Imation on my Lite-On…sorry…I thought I had…I’ve been using Memorex 16x media. I’ve yet to try Imation but at least Memorex writes at 40x

We seem to be going a bit off topic, but here goes:

I have burned Imation 24x certified media at 24x on a Samsung 24x burner and at 16x on the Liteon 16101B.

Out of about 60 discs burnt so far on the Samsung, close to 20 have problems being read on my LG DVD-ROM.

This was enough for me to switch over to Prodisc and Ritek.

Reg. longevity, I don’t know either if CDs burnt at 40x will last for a lesser period as compared to those burnt at lower speeds. The only thing being, I don’t want to find out the hard way :stuck_out_tongue:

HI,
my advise:
By the slowest Liteon burner wich can be upgraded to 48x speed,
NOW (one of the 32x writers)

Gräfdig

P.S: I use Aldi/Medion/tevion 24x certified discs to write at 48x speed and is is working properly

Did you do c2 scans?

c2 scans???