Buy Folding@Home points on eBay? Whatever next

LOL: Look what I found (whilst surfing the F@H forum)

Oh dear oh dear oh dear…:bigsmile:

Unbelievable. :doh:

Good god :disagree: that’s just crazy :rolleyes: :bigsmile:

No, I won’t be bidding before anyone asks :disagree:

$1.50 for 2000 points, what a weird number, there’s no single project that awards 2000 points. Also “high end cluster” but needs 4 days to deliver the points. :stuck_out_tongue:

Damn it. My joke was going to be,

So thats how you started to beat me.:bigsmile:

People bid on it. $1.50 was the winning bid for ~2000 points.

So that means I would need to spent ~$150 to start to beat Zevia.

It took about 3 months and 3 C2Ds to collect 300K points. Now the $150 will probably be enough to pay only the electricity bills. :stuck_out_tongue:

Here’s another type… http://foldingfarmer.com/products/faas-folding-at-home-as-a-service

FAAS - Folding (@ Home) As A Service
$ 20.00 - $ 399.00

• VC200 (Lifetime) for $ 399.00 USD
  • Yearly for $ 225.00 USD
  • Bi-Annual (6 months) for $ 120.00 USD
    Monthly Sold Out!
    But the tricky news: “Folding Farmer will fold on your behalf for as long as Folding Farmer, and its parent company, Simplicio Systems Inc., exist.”

How long before they have to fold?! :stuck_out_tongue:

to be fair they should donate the money to F@h not use it to line thier pockets
sry for posting in an old thread :slight_smile:

No thread is “old” in here :bigsmile:

Found some points on eBay.

Good or bad idea ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/F-H-BOINC-Distributed-Computing-Service-Folding-/170595339594?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b8464d4a#ht_1270wt_922

Hi EdDantes, welcome to the forum!

Buying F@H or BOINC points off ebay kind of goes against the idea behind distributed computing. Which is you should use your spare computer time towards aiding scientific research. No one should be making a profit off of these projects. Points are a good way of measuring a computer’s output, but the most important thing is the research that is being performed.

Also, from the add you posted, it sounds like he/she plans on running the computers off of a generator which is very polluting.

If you are interested in the distributed projects we have here F@H and the World Community Grid (BOINC) sign up and help us out! If you have any questions send me a PM or just post in the Distributed Computing section of our forum.