Buy CD Versus Download MP3 of Same?

vbimport

I’m not sure this is the right forum section for this post but I couldn’t find any other section which would be more appropriate. I realize that the question of MP3 versus FLAC quality has been around for a long time but after doing quite a number of internet searches, I haven’t been able to find the answer I need to this question. I am contemplating whether to purchase a physical CD from its manufacturer or to just download the same album in .MP3 format from their website. The download is not cheap but the actual CD is about twice the amount of the download.

I am wondering whether or not to spend the extra money to purchase the CD or to just go ahead and get the .MP3 download. If I get the CD, I will just rip it to my hard drive in .FLAC format as I do with all of my other CDs. On the other hand, if I do the .MP3 download it will also be stored on my computer but since there wouldn’t be any point to converting the .MP3 lossy format to the .FLAC lossless format at that point, it will just remain archived on my system in .MP3 format. The same would go for any CD I might physically burn from the download.

I do have very high quality audio playback equipment so sound quality is important to me. I am still wondering about whether to spend the extra money for this particular CD however. Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

I usually do both by buying CDs from Amazon. Many of the ones they sell come with ‘Auto Rip’ which is an MP3 copy of the album. It’s often cheaper this way, too. Example: http://www.amazon.com/Eric-Clapton-Friends-Breeze-Appreciation/dp/B00K0X1PYM/ref=sr_1_1_title_0_main?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1406774999&sr=1-1&keywords=The+Breeze

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2733005]I usually do both by buying CDs from Amazon. Many of the ones they sell come with ‘Auto Rip’ which is an MP3 copy of the album. It’s often cheaper this way, too. Example: http://www.amazon.com/Eric-Clapton-Friends-Breeze-Appreciation/dp/B00K0X1PYM/ref=sr_1_1_title_0_main?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1406774999&sr=1-1&keywords=The+Breeze[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the response. I have just discovered that the web site I am interested in offers downloads of the albums in .FLAC format as well as .MP3 (and for the .MP3 download price) so that solves my problem.