Buttons Pane, Force Selection

If the ‘Force Selection’ option in the panel just above the Buttons Pane is set to ‘None’, what is the likely result?

I ask because I have a menu on which randomly no button is selected on returning using the Title and Root buttons on the remote and I am wondering if this is the reason.

I know that I can simply try it, but if it then works OK, being a random problem, I have no way of knowing if I have cured the problem or whether it has just stopped happening for a while.

Force selection indicates which button is forced to highlight, regardless of what the highlighted button is stored in the System Register S[8]. If you experience no button is being selected, you can use this feature to automatically select and highlight a specific button number.

Thanks for that.

It didn’t actually cure the problem (randomly no highlight appears on any button on returning to the menu), but the DVD is still usable so I am not too worried, though it would be nice to sort it.

For info, following our discussions a while ago, I have now reduced the difficulties which I was having with simple menus to a minimum by making sure that all colours are set to the same in Edit Color Schemes, thereby removing the need to worry about the layout of the picture mask level.

I think that I am now able to do all that I need with PaintShopPro, DvdReMakePro, Ultramux and ImgBurn.

Should you like to continue pursuing this, I’d like to see your output files - shrink all the menus to still, export modified files to some folder, zip all the IFOs and the menu vob and upload somewhere. I’ll see what’s up.

Thank you for the offer, you are very patient.

The files may be found here: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/albertd/diagnostic.zip

You will find the only menu in the VMG. It should start up with a cyan line (Button 1) under the words ‘Designing your future’.

This line seems to appear reliably on first start up, but after playing part (or perhaps all) of one of the items in the list, if I press either of the ‘menu’ buttons on the remote, the menu reappears, and sometimes the cyan line is there and sometimes it is not. The focus appears to be correctly back on Button 1 as I can still navigate blindly and select items, but it makes it rather difficult to know where you are.

Could my problem be linked in any way to the rather complicated way in which the VMG PGC1 Pre-Commands calculates the value for ‘highlighted_button’?

I created a test file using DVDStyler and instead of all that, it just did ‘highlighted_button = 1024 (button 1)’ which seems to be all I need for this application.

The Pre-Commands in mine were as set up by the DVD Recorder on the original recording, but perhaps it has to do it this way to cover a variety of possible scenarios whereas I just want one.

Any thoughts on that?

Based on the pre-commands of the title menu, button 1 is always selected, so force selection of button 1 is unnecessary.

Did you modify the title menu in any way? As you can see, the Titles pane under VTS1 is highlighted in red, saying that “Title 2 has no entry PGC set”. If you did not, then what your DVD Recorder created is illegal and is not compliant to DVD spec. Your DVD may not work on other standalones if you select titles 2-17.

Maybe this could be the cause why your button is sometimes not highlighted, I’m not sure. Until you have the DVD with no warnings, there’s no way to tell.

Anyway, this is the same situation as we discussed in your previous thread.

If you wanted to jump to a specific chapter, it is better to put the menu in the VTS1/Menus/PGC1 (Root menu). This I have outlined the steps for you, and even uploaded the revised files for you in your previous thread. You can use it as a reference.

However, another alternative is to keep the title menu as is. But the button command, Jump VMG Title x, must be changed, and a few other areas must be modified as well. It’s not really complicated once you have the methodology down. I can provide details if you’re interested.

Many thanks.

I will dig a bit deeper into what you previously said, it might make more sense to me now. I will try again to use the Root Menu in VTS1, last time I tried it I got an error when I tried to play the video.

The multiple Titles with the error was not set up by the recorder.

I decided to provide the alternative approach, I think it’s easier as you don’t have to move the title menu to the root menu. Look in the attachment for more details. You can use this as a reference for your future DVD made from dvd recorder.

Look at how I change the button command. R[2] is used to contain the chapter number and LinkTailPGC jumps to the post command, which is then jump to VMG Title 1. In the pre-commands of the movie PGC, you’ll see that R[2] is used to check against a chapter number and jump to the appropriate program.

In the precommands of the title menu, I made it so that button 1 is highlighted at first. But after you play the video and decide to press Menu or Title menu, the button corresponding to the last played chapter is highlighted.

Just copy everything from my project over to yours and modify your project to look exactly like mine, or you can just copy the movie over to my project.

revised_titlemenu.zip (129 KB)

Many thanks for that.

I followed your suggestion and copied the video over to your latest file.

I copied all the commands over from your VTS1 PGC1 to the new one and changed the command Id in the PGC Programs list.

It seemed to work except that the first button selected no video. Then I saw that in VTS1 PGC1 PreCommands, line 1 (for R2=1) was GoTo line 18. Maybe wrongly, I inserted a new line for R2=1 with a LinkProgram 1 and (as a guess) changed line 1 to look for R2=0.

I then had everything working when I did Test Export and viewed with Nero. So next I did a full export and that worked OK with Nero. When I then burned it to DVD, and used it in my DVD machine, it started randomly failing to display the cyan line again, and always returned to Button 1 on going back to the menu.

Is this a problem with the DVD, or a problem with the DVD machine perhaps?

For information, I have gone back to your previous suggestion of moving the menu to the VTS. It seems to be working for me as long as I am very careful with all the commands you included. Hopefully, unless you have any other thoughts (or something else goes wrong!), I will be able to work with this method now I have got the hang of it.

Many thanks.

Line 1 is supposed to be “if (R[2]==1) Break”. I didn’t realize DRMP changed Break to goto command, copied the post command to the end of the pre-command lines, and changed the Command id to 1 in Programs pane to reference the LinkTailPGC cell command. This is done automatically due to the cells being blank and I have Auto Bypass turned on.

Anyways, just duplicate everything on every item in the DVD tree on my project over to yours. I have no problem with flickering button highlight when playing on my standalones. Could be the media quality and burning speed use. I use Imgburn to burn only.

[quote=albertd;2017881]For information, I have gone back to your previous suggestion of moving the menu to the VTS. It seems to be working for me as long as I am very careful with all the commands you included. Hopefully, unless you have any other thoughts (or something else goes wrong!), I will be able to work with this method now I have got the hang of it.[/quote]We posted about the same time. Glad you got it working.

Looks like we crossed in the mail! Thanks for your latest. I will look at that as well. I think I am getting a better grasp of this very complex beastie - thanks to you.

By the way, in answer to[quote=toaddub;2017882]I have no problem with flickering button highlight when playing on my standalones. Could be the media quality and burning speed use. I use Imgburn to burn only.[/quote]I suspect not. I am using the Verbatim disks that you recommended (x16) and burning with ImgBurn at x6 (to be on the safe side) with verification on.

They don’t actually flicker, they either appear OK or not at all, but maybe the latest method will be better. At least I hope so!

[quote=albertd;2017893]…but maybe the latest method will be better. At least I hope so![/quote]I have just completed a DVD using your previous method with the menu in the VTS, and the result seems to be stable. I have not had a single instance of the button highlights not appearing. Looking good.