BusLink 52x = Liteon 52x?

vbimport

I know I saw a thread recently where it was stated that a Buslink 52x burner that says EITHER SmartBurn OR JustLink and JustSpeed on the box is a liteon 52x but I’ll be darned if I can find it now. I’ve seen threads that say the JustLink is NOT a Liteon.

Can/will anyone confirm this one way or the other ?? The folks at Best Buy tell me they have no way of knowing who the maker is. (Although one guy had heard that drives that say made in China are Liteons and made in Japan are not - can anyone confirm this ???)

I should probably add - the front has no logos or printing of any kind - no speed, company, not even “compact disc rewritable”. On the top it does have:

P/N : 91.3ED37.025
S/N : 30203707JE E2

Model No: 52x24x52 CD-RW

MANUFACTURED:
JANUARY 2003 J
Made In China

As long as the box says Smart-Burn and Smart-X, then you got yourself a rebadged Lite-On.

Samsung uses JustLink… who makes Samsung drives? Ah, yes, Ricoh.

Just to confirm, if you’re talking about this drive @ BestBuy, then it’s 100% rebadged Lite-On. $20 for a 52246S is a fudging steal. Although I only get 1/2 of my BestBuy MIRs.

Stoner:

That’s the box but it says JustLink and JustSpeed. :frowning:

Sounds like I got hosed. :a

Good thing I can take it back.

a simple search would’ve turned this thread up.

AZ:

I did read that thread - no reference to JustLink and JustSpeed.

BTW - sometimes I get a page here at cdfreaks that shows the last 10 searches - I don’t know how far back you can see but I did have several searches in there. Believe it or not I spent several days trying to make sense of all the posts I could follow here and elsewhere on the www before I even posted a question. I’m really sorry to keep bothering you.

i just want ppl to be able to help themselves when they can so that when others try to search for the answer to the same question, they won’t be confronted with a thousand threads matching their search terms. if i came off like some kind of grump, i’m sorry. :wink: it’s just that i personally hate trying to comb through threads myself when trying to find answers to any questions i may have.

a better idea would’ve been to post a reply to that thread i mentioned since it pertains to exactly the same problem u had (about whether or not a drive is a lite-on) and since buslink is mentioned in that thread. also, justlink/justspeed isn’t mentioned cuz (as i also said in that thread) the box must say smart-burn.

Thank you for the help. :slight_smile:

Just an FYI (and I just have to tell someone):

Re: the $20 BusLink 52x24x52

All of the Best Buy units here were JustLinks (JustLink bad :frowning: ). So were Staples’, Office Depot’s, and CompUSA’s (or they said Buffer underrun technology).

Strangely enough all of Circuit City’s units are SmartBurn (LiteOn good :bigsmile: :bigsmile: ). It took some juggling but I am now the (hopefully) proud owner of a LiteOn 52X.

Stoner…dawg you were right on da money with da pic of the box. I took that other unit back and looked till I found a box that said “Smartburn” on it and quickly opened it up and sure enough it wuz da lite on unit. Man if ya don’t notice that little thing like smartburn on the box you’ll get took…lol and the sad part was when I took it back some Best Buy salesman didn’t even know da difference looking at da boxes going like duh…they look da same to me so anyone that purchases da buslink CD-RW units make sure it saids smartburn on da box somewhere or you not gettin’ what ya really want …unless like da Rock saids " it doesn’t mattter " what burner you get as long as you get one …later!!!

I forgot to mention Best Buy wuz running a 10% off sale so with the rebates and 10% off I got da freaking burner for like $13.00 whata deal…a lite on 52X burner for $13.00 …does it get any cheaper …other than someone giving it to you for free.

lol and the sad part was when I took it back some Best Buy salesman didn’t even know da difference looking at da boxes going like duh…they look da same to me

if u didn’t find out at this forum, u wouldn’t have known the difference between the drives either, rite? :wink:

…but be CAREFUl, our son looked at one store and None of them had the SmartBurn logo on box. Had to go to other store and only 1 box (which he bought) out of 5 had it.

And, YES, I had them pay ME to get a LiteOn, but I did not do it on purpose. There were too many rebates!

Originally posted by alover2
I forgot to mention Best Buy wuz running a 10% off sale so with the rebates and 10% off I got da freaking burner for like $13.00 whata deal…a lite on 52X burner for $13.00 …does it get any cheaper …other than someone giving it to you for free.

Hey AZImmortal, why do you think I come here…lol. I know most of da times you guys got da info on stuff so I can make the right choice. ^5 Stoner again for da pic of the box…didn’t even notice the difference till then. It worked the same way when I went to Office Max and there was a post that mentioned something to the effect that if the model number LTR - (xxxxxxx) was not on da box it wuz not a lite on and after going thru like 10 boxes I got one …I know da salesman there wuz like hey a burner is a burner after I kept having him bring out another box checking for da code but info like that is what makes these forums and CD Freaks great clubs to be part of…now what is a good piece of software for backing up DVD’s as some folks are saying there are better choices than DVDXCOPY…

I took my ‘buslink’ back when I discovered that there are two ‘types’ out there. I went to Staples in Hackettstown, NJ (where I recently purchased the drive for $50 after rebates), and they only had the ‘justlink’. They called the store in Chester, NJ, and indeed, they had the ‘smartburn’. It was some run-around, but worth it as it cleared up a buffer under run error I was having with the first drive.

Nothing like a Lite-on!

PS, if you have already purchased the Buslink 52X24X52, the LITE-ON is clearly displayed in the device manager. The last one appeared as " 52X24X52" - yes, the space is on purpose. The front of this drive is also labeled with 52X24X52, while the “Justlink” version had no writing on the drive face.

Here is the link to the model it came with: LTR-52246S
http://www.liteon.com/prod/getProduct.do?cid=1_7_2&xml_id=4_2&menu_id=4_2_7
:bow: