Burst rate only 17mb

vbimport

I have a Benq 1655 and I’m in dma 2 mode. I just ran a transfer rate test on a liteon burn in my Benq and it suck @ss in the second half of the scan. i did the same test on my liteon and samsung drives and it produced a smooth curve on both. if the burst rate is so low, then is that why it can’t read the disc very fast? my benq is really old i’m thinking it’s biting the dust. i’ve only kept it for scanning purposes for the past three months since I bought the other two drives. now it can’t even do transfer rate test.

Hi. :slight_smile:

Low burst rate speed indicated problems on your hardware/drivers, not at all related to BenQ burner. (Put drive in another box and check :flower:)

How is the drive connected to IDE bus. What IDE drivers are used.
What’s the brand and model of your mobo, (full details please).

burst rate on the other two drives are fine though. i have an asus p5w-dh mobo. the benq is a slave on the same ide as the master liteon 20a4p. my samsung is sata. Intel IC7H drivers.

Yes, we already read that above, thanks. :cool:
Litey and Sammys run in a higher “internal” UDMA mode…

Details please. :flower:

How is the drive connected to IDE bus. What IDE drivers are used.

[I](Quote added because OP edited his post)[/I]

i think it’s microsoft. i clicked on device manager and ide controllers and it says microsoft 2001. my burst rate actually might be low on all my drives. i’m not sure. the liteon 20a4p was 23mb and my samsung 203b sata was a little over 30mb. i never burn faster than 8x so there’s never been an issue. maybe it’s been like this since i put my pc together 13 months ago. i don’t know.

I had the same problem in the past (IIRC after I installed DVD Region Killer and/or Alcohol). However, I didn’t remove the DRK filter because I thought it was hardware problem (I blamed my mobo).

At that time my BenQ DW1640 only has burst rate of 17~18MB, 20A4P 23~24MB, Litey could do 16X TRT, BenQ would have problems going more than 12X, everything just like yours.

Recently I did a clean reinstallation of Windows XP, had no Alcohol/DRK installed. BenQ DW1640 having burst rate of 23~24MB, 20A4P 9P57 does 37MB, things get back to what they should :slight_smile:
Your sammy should have burst rate of more than 30MB normally.

So, this would be a problem caused by software, you could check the upper/lower filter with this utility and remove the third party filter(s).

[I]Somewhat off topic.[/I]

[B]Your sammy should have burst rate of more than 30MB normally.[/B]
Damn slow systems you have out there guys… :bigsmile:
A sata burner from Samsung (like S203 series) should be able to reach 60 MB/s burst, heck my S203N maxes out at about 67 MB/s on an old $ntel 865PE mobo. :smiley:

Uninstall all that emulation/copying software (go and buy the original gamedisc), run a reg cleaner from time to time and defrag HDD’s on a weekly basis.
Crap windoze OS should be reinstalled every 6 months at least. Remember, Bill Gates is only feeding you with s**t uppdates that makes your system slower then a turtle. :flower:

[QUOTE=pinto2;2004886][I]Somewhat off topic.[/I]

[B]Damn slow systems you have out there guys…[/B] :bigsmile:
A sata burner from Samsung (like S203 series) should be able to reach 60 MB/s burst, heck my S203N maxes out at about 67 MB/s on an old $ntel 865PE mobo. :smiley:
[/QUOTE]

Hey hey, I know that SATA thing shouldn’t be only 30MB/s, I knew it has a great number. :slight_smile:

The slow ODD burst rate is caused by the third party CD/DVD software, nothing else get slow on my system besides that.

Get rid of the third party CD/DVD software (those introduce filters) and problem should go away.

deleted

ok, i did a fresh install and it was a big waste of time. i found that the burst rates are inconsistent. sometimes my drives get the normal burst rate and other times it’s too low. what doest this mean? bad mobo or power supply? it’s not drivers or software related.

Upper and Lower Filters maybe?

Nero InfoTool output might tell us just that, and much more. :iagree:

But…

[I]Way off topic…[/I][QUOTE=Skylon;2005133]Hey hey, I know that SATA thing shouldn’t be only 30MB/s, I knew it has a great number. :slight_smile: [/QUOTE]Heck, I must have been wrong above. :flower:
Sammy S203N is running with a transfer rate past 70MB/s almost everytime.
BTW, think I killed my S203B with homemade rpc1 firmware. S203 can’t make it even at 40MB/s…

[QUOTE=pinto2;2004886][I]Somewhat off topic.[/I]

Damn slow systems you have out there guys… :bigsmile:

Uninstall all that emulation/copying software (go and buy the original gamedisc), run a reg cleaner from time to time and defrag HDD’s on a weekly basis.
Crap windoze OS should be reinstalled every 6 months at least. Remember, Bill Gates is only feeding you with s**t uppdates that makes your system slower then a turtle. :flower:[/QUOTE]

I agree. Mine is always in the high 60MB’s. Pinto2 is on to something here.:wink:

[QUOTE=THE C.;2006380]I agree. Mine is always in the high 60MB’s. Pinto2 is on to something here.;)[/QUOTE]Sorry to disappoint you [I]THE C[/I], but my BenQ DW16** burners maxes out at 23 MB/s.
(Okay when on external firmwares they might past 30MB/s, not the DW165* drives though.)

BTW please note, we are in BenQ/Philips forum atm. :smiley:

hey guys. wanna hear something sad and funny? i built an entirely new computer except for ram and dvd drives. everything else is new and different. i have the same exact problem. low burst rates on all my drives. it’s not in pio mode. the new mobo i got uses intel and jmicron drivers like the previous one. i went from asus to abit mobo’s. what the hell do I do? i’m going to buy a new burner and see if it has the same problem with my new pc. if it does then I’m at a total loss. i’ll just have to give up burning entirely.

What about the IDE/SATA cables? You using the old ones?

no, i’m using new ones that came with the abit mobo. it makes no god dam sense. i can try reinstalling again with newer drivers, but I’m starting to think I’m cursed or something and nothing will work.

i just uninstalled anydvd, daemon tools, and clonedvd. there is nothing left to uninstall. i ran 5 burst rate tests on my samsung 203b in a span of 10 minutes and got 71 mb, 47 mb, 70 mb, 48mb, and lastly 70 mb in that order. it’s normal every other time. i unplugged my BenQ cuz it’s burst is too slow to use. wasn’t multitasking or downloading while doing it. i’m at a complete loss. i’ll buy a new burner and install windows on a different hard drive and see if there’s a change. i hate this. it’s like the computer gods have decided to punish me. There seems to be an improvement. I’m not getting 30 mb for the Samsung anymore, but the varying results every time means something is off doesn’t it?

i guess i fixed the problem. i uninstalled anydvd, daemon tools, and clonedvd. i also uninstalled the benq since it’s old anyway. i put in a liteon dvd-rom cuz it’s a really fast ripper. i’ve done burst rate tests on both liteons and gotten consistent normal results. i did 20 tests on each drive. the samsung i flashed to an older firmware just for the hell of it. it’s still inconsistent, but at worst it gets 43 mb burst rate. it seems to get 70 mb more often now. 9 out of 10 tests resulted in 70 mb. Before, it was getting like 32 mb most of the time and 70 mb once in a while. i’m not sure what the problem was. the only third party filter that showed up in devfilter was from elaborate bytes which must be from clonedvd. my problems started about a month or so ago. i looked up clonedvd’s last update and it was a month and a week ago. i’ve read no other complaints online about this. maybe this is just some freak thing with my setups. i’m going to reinstall anydvd and retest my drives’s burst rates. considering when my problems started coincide with clonedvd’s last update, it’s kinda obvious what program the culprit is. after all these years, clonedvd bites me in the ass.