Burnt smell on CD/DVD disc and Samsung DVD Writer

I have a Samsung SH-S203B DVD Writer.
Yesterday I burned stuff on a CDRW disc which I had used a lot before and noticed a burnt smell from both the disc and the writer.
I tried burning with another disc on another computer and another DVD Writer (Nec ND-3550A) with the same result.
Could it have something to do with the disc brand, as I tried smelling some of the discs I use prior to burning them and some of them had a funny smell.
Does it have anything to do with the compatibility of the disc and the Samsung DVD Writer or the quality of the disc? (Xerox discs, probably crappy quality).
I tried other DVD disc brands like Verbatim DVDRW and haven’t noticed any funny smells after burning.

Since yesterday I’ve burned several CDs and haven’t noticed any funny smells either. Should I still take the Samsung DVD Writer to the lab or do you think it’s disc related or might be because the Samsung writer is new? I just don’t know because I could also notice a burnt smell when I used the NEC writer with that disc.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
Splashy.

Hi and Welcome![QUOTE=Splashy;1914582]I have a Samsung SH-S203B DVD Writer.
Yesterday I burned stuff on a CDRW disc which I had used a lot before and noticed a burnt smell from both the disc and the writer.
I tried burning with another disc on another computer and another DVD Writer (Nec ND-3550A) with the same result.[/quote]So there is nothing wrong with the drive.

Could it have something to do with the disc brand, as I tried smelling some of the discs I use prior to burning them and some of them had a funny smell.
:iagree: Some discs indeed smell strange out of the box.

Since this is a media related issue, this thread will be moved to the Blank Media forum.

Sounds like the disc. Many discs have weird smells. Shouldn’t affect anything - you just have to get used to the funky smells of some discs :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=cd pirate;1915257]Sounds like the disc. Many discs have weird smells. Shouldn’t affect anything - you just have to get used to the funky smells of some discs :P[/QUOTE]

I have had dics with a strange oder and some not at all. It maybe something to do with the manufacturing process

I’ve noticed a few different smells in various DVD’s. In my experiences Verbatims always smelled weird after I’ve burned.

[QUOTE=cd pirate;1915257]Sounds like the disc. Many discs have weird smells. Shouldn’t affect anything - you just have to get used to the funky smells of some discs :P[/QUOTE]

The real question now is : would these smells affect our health on the long term as cd freaks ? lol :bigsmile:

Thanks for all your replies.
So you think this is normal and there’s no point in taking the burner to the lab for testing? Because I could sense a burned smell during the burning process with this Xerox media.

I’ve had many burners before but only IDE, this is my first SATA burner and I’m not sure what’s normal.

[QUOTE=minaelromany;1915317]The real question now is : would these smells affect our health on the long term as cd freaks ? lol :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Well given the amount of posts in here about smelly discs I would hope not :bigsmile:

@Splashy - great name :bigsmile:…I would say it’s fine, especially if it’s just those Xerox discs. :slight_smile:

That’s quite unfortunate. My CMC Verbies smell good enugh to eat :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Two Degrees;1915435]That’s quite unfortunate. My CMC Verbies smell good enugh to eat :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Groan :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Arachne;1915416]@Splashy - great name :bigsmile:…I would say it’s fine, especially if it’s just those Xerox discs. :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks Arachne! You’ve put my mind at ease.
The store I bought the computer from (not the burner, that’s from another store ;-)) said I should take it to the lab but now I doubt that’s really necessary since I’ve burned several times on Verbatim media and haven’t noticed any funny smells coming from the burner.

[QUOTE=Splashy;1915470]Thanks Arachne! You’ve put my mind at ease.
The store I bought the computer from (not the burner, that’s from another store ;-)) said I should take it to the lab but now I doubt that’s really necessary since I’ve burned several times on Verbatim media and haven’t noticed any funny smells coming from the burner.[/QUOTE]

Hehe, no problem :slight_smile: - honestly, you should see the posts in here about what discs smell like, coconuts, peaches, fire, you name it! :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Arachne;1915472]Hehe, no problem :slight_smile: - honestly, you should see the posts in here about what discs smell like, coconuts, peaches, fire, you name it! :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

:smiley:

A new burner can also give off some alarming smells in the first few hours/weeks of operation – whether burning or playing a movie – and the smell may linger for a day or two on whatever media was in the drive.

[QUOTE=RWP;1915643]A new burner can also give off some alarming smells in the first few hours/weeks of operation – whether burning or playing a movie – and the smell may linger for a day or two on whatever media was in the drive.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip, RWP!
Based on that, I assume the burner is fine and I don’t have to take it to the lab.
It’s strange but I don’t recall strange smells coming from my previous burners when they were new. But then again, it’s my first SATA burner.
Thanks again :flower:

Regarding smells caused by ODDs: I have five fairly new drives:

Four Samsung 203B’s bought within the last couple of months, with less than an hour of use on all but one; never noticed a smell from them after the first day.

One Liteon 20A1L that is around two weeks old and has run perhaps 30 Quality Scans and one burn; never noticed a smell from it beyond the first day. EXCEPT…

I played a store bought DVD on it a few days ago (a disc I had owned for over a year and played on other players without incident) and after about 1.5 hours the drive developed a strong burnt electrical smell. Assuming a circuit board chip was beginning to fry I ejected the disc and turned off the PC. That smell lingered outside of the PC for the next couple of days even though it wasn’t powered up. The disc smelled too. :eek:

Yesterday I thought I’d see if the Litey still smelled, and it certainly did – particularly when the PC was powered and the tray came out. But I needed to do some quality scans so I gave it a try, expecting smoke to appear at any time… What happened instead was everything worked as it should. The smell gradually cleared after several scans. The movie disc that was playing when the smell first presented no longer smelled; I put it back in the Liteon and played it for a couple hours to see if any burning smell developed again. It didn’t.

You can get a whiff of that burned smell if you place your nose near the opened tray, but it is very muted now and consistant with the “new electronic component smell” most PCs and other consumer electronic devices make the first few days/weeks of use.

While it is certainly possible there was a malfuction with that drive and the smell was caused by an overheated drive component, things like that rarely cure themselves. If it was caused by the PC supplying high voltage, other hardware would have been affected. And the drive was operating in a well ventilated case in a fairly cool room both times (around 72 degrees), so that couldn’t make the drive run hot.

I have another Liteon drive coming this Friday (a 20A1[B]S[/B]) and I’ll compare the smell that one makes playing the same movie to help determine if that is a normal smell for that drive model family.

Moral of the story? Some disc oders may originate from the drive that played it (particularly pressed discs), and some drive brands/models smell more when first used than others… :iagree:

Anyway, I’m not too concerned about the smells from certain brands of recordable disc dye/bonding agents (couldn’t be too toxic or most paper shredders wouldn’t also shred optical discs) or the newer RoHS ODDs/other PC hardware. We all survived earlier days when electronics and other consumer goods weren’t nearly as safe as they are now… :clap:

That’s quite a story, RWP. Thanks a lot for sharing.
You seem to know a lot about burners.
I hate to be a royal pain about this but I’d appreciate some advice as to whether it’s really necessary for me to take my burner to the lab. On one hand it’s a pain and might be a waste of time, and on the other hand, maybe something is wrong with the burner. People in another forum told me they thought nothing was wrong with the burner and that it had to do with the media I was using, thus it would be a waste of time to take it to the lab. But after reading your story about the chip that might have begun to fry, I have to wonder.
Again thank you so much and sorry for being a pain :slight_smile:

Edit: I forgot to mention, since the burned smell occurred a few days ago, I’ve burned several DVDs with success and without a smell. That’s got to count for something, I hope :smiley:

When you use the word “lab” do you mean a factory approved service center – or an actual labratory where an oder could be captured and analyzed?

Assuming you mean a typical electronic service center, I wouldn’t take their word for whether your drive has a problem or not. Most of these service shops are very busy and can’t devote much more time than hooking up the drive and playing a disc in it – while keeping an eye out for trouble from a dozen other devices they have also powered up that day – waiting for possible signs of trouble from any of them. If the technician is really good they may check the unit’s current draw against factory specs on the chance a component is failing and consuming higher than normal amperage in the process.

Quite honestly, unless your drive is malfunctioning, not working at all, or is visably discharging smoke, YOU are the best service technition at this stage. You can give it your undivided attention in its normally installed operating environment – conditions that most techs never get; hence their fairly high rate of missed correct diagnosis.

If earlier your drive made a smell, and that smell has diminished with the passage of time and hours of use, THAT is perfectly consistent with the “new electronic component smell” most new consumer electronic devices make. It smells for a few days and then goes away.

It is like the smell of a new car, new paint, fresh-cut lumber, and a million other things: they simply off-gas certain vapors until they have all evaporated, or otherwise had time to react with the ambient atmospheric gasses (in other words the air we breath – mostly nitrogen and oxygen) and forms a “skin” of sorts that gradually/significantly blocks off-gassing to the point of it not being noticable anymore.

Certain electronic components (like in your drive) get warm when in operation and this heat accelerates the off-gassing process. The more you operate the device the sooner the “smell” will dissipate. Perfectly normal. In the vast majority of cases (take my story from my previous post for example) if a electronic part is about to fail and is giving off a burned smell, IT WILL FAIL – [B]sooner[/B] rather than later. If the smell gradually diminishes, then the “later” has arrived and it didn’t fail so it is almost 100% certain to be functioning normally.

I really wouldn’t worry about that drive unless the smell gets stronger again and stays that way. And even if it did fail… so what? It smells a bit and then stops working. It is in a mostly metal case, located in a mostly metal PC case. It can’t start a fire. Your biggest problem is going through the @#^%@! warranty return process! :eek: :a

ADDED LATER: To answer your original question before I got carried away on the whole “drive causing smell” tangent, I think it is just the CD media you were using and not your drive causing the smell at all. You reported the same smell from these discs before and after a burn, and from more than one drive and PC; you didn’t notice the smell from your DVD discs. It’s the media and not your drive that you are smelling if the conditions of your first post are still correct.

Thank you so much for your detailed reply, RWP.
I will keep an eye on the burner for now and see how it works.
As long as it keeps working normally, I won’t take it to the lab.
I think you may be right, the lab technician didn’t seem too savvy when I was there last time. He probably wouldn’t have done a through test anyway and just put in a disc like you said.
Thank you again.

I was trying to add this to my last post but the forum stalled out…

ADDED LATER: To answer your original question before I got carried away on the whole “drive causing smell” tangent, I think it is just the CD media you were using and not your drive causing the smell at all. You reported the same smell from these discs before and after a burn, and from more than one drive and PC; you didn’t notice the smell from your DVD discs. It’s the media and not your drive that you are smelling if the conditions of your first post are still correct.