Burnt PSU

My MEC 300 watt just blown up recently. Luckily, all my other parts are safe. I have sent the PSU for reapir and the gave me a new one.

My question is :

1. What are the main causes of PSU failures ?
  2. Does bad wiring will damage the PSU ?
    ( Power cable failures, molex connector failures, molex cable failures )

The usual things that effect all electric devices…

Heat = major factor
quality of parts
consistency of current (power spikes etc etc)
moisture / condesation
did you smack it around? roll it down the stairs, things like that…

Bad wiring can damage the PSU. Normally a PSU should be protected against such threats, but often the cheap ones aren’t.

I’ve blown up 2 PSUs recently while OC’ing my system. They where both very cheap ones… Now I bought an expensive one (TSP 350W, 420W peak) and it’s stable as a rock.

i blew my 250W PSU up the other week, all i did was upped the FSB by 20MHz :confused:

anyway, i then bought a q-tec 450W PSU and it runs great! :smiley:

Originally posted by Yorke_19
anyway, i then bought a q-tec 450W PSU and it runs great! :smiley:

Please check your 5V and 12V lines. Some Qtec PSUs got quite some problems here!

You can check this with Motherboard Monitor, Sisoft Sandra, Aida32 or Hardware Sensors monitor. You can find these programs on sites like www.download.com and www.tucows.com

my 5v is 4.960

my 5v is 4.960

Not perfect, but cetainly good. As long as it stays above 4.7V your system should be stable (this is no official rule, but it seems to be used by lots of people). I trust your mainboard measurement electronics work fine (mine don’t: my mainboard measures 4.78V, but an expensive Fluke multimeter reports 4.99V. I tend to believe that;))…

i just read that voltage from my BIOS :confused:

The powmax 400 watt supplies I have found to be very good. I have one in my system and it will run for weeks at a time with no reboot. I have installed them for other people and not a complaint yet. I highly recomend this one.

Hope y’all get your troubles fixed.

i just read that voltage from my BIOS :confused:

That does not change te fact that some motherboards don’t measure very well… an external meter would be required to test that!

my 12v line is 12.4v :eek:

my 12v line is 12.4v :eek:

That’s still safe :slight_smile: