Burnt DVD won't play in DVD Player

I’ve used Nero StartSmart, Nero Express, Nero 7 Premium, and Nero 7 Ultra Edition to burn video files (.nrg/ .cue / .bin / mpeg ) to CD discs and DVD discs - but as I cannot find any way to ‘Finalize’ these, none of these discs will play in my standalone DVD Player.

Everything burns fine - but the ‘Finalize’ is greyed and unavailable to me. Also I cannot find a tickbox to uncheck ‘multisession’ so that my burnt DVDs will play in my standalone DVD Player.

Any suggestions please?

for a burnt disc to play in a standalone dvd player the disc must be burnt as a Video CD (VCD) or DVD Video. unless your standalone dvd player is a divx player, which will play certain files that are burnt onto a disc in data format.

you will need to convert your files before you burn them unless they are already converted.

Thanks, Darren. Incredibly, within only half an hour after posting the above I discovered how to play my burnt CDs in my DVD Player.

Previously every attempt has failed, because whenever I have put one of these burnt DVDs or CDs in the Player I have got a notice come up on the TV telling me that … ‘Cannot Display the Title List for this Disc’… which I thought meant that these discs were written in file-types which could not be read by my Player.

It’s only just now that I’ve discovered the ‘Tools’ button on my Player - which opens up the option to ‘Play’… upon which the burnt CD starts to play.

Cheers

Actually I spoke too soon. I burnt one CD-RW disc and played it in my standalone DVD player very successfully – but I’m back to not being able to do this anymore. All I get is ‘Unexpected file type’ and it refuses to burn to the disc.

By looking at the screenshot in post #1 you can see that finalizing is done by default for such source formats to avoid trouble. :wink:

Is there a converter for file types so that my torrents will be accepted for burning and playing on my standalone DVD Player?

“Torrents” is a method of distributing files and is not an AV format as such. Assuming you are making legal downloads, do you know whether your player will accept DivX/XviD with an .avi extension? Also what is the make and model number of your DVD player?

My DVD Player accepts DVD Video (DVDs) and VIDEO CDs (VCDs) or CD-Rs/CD-RWs in VIDEO CD/Super VIDEO CD format.

All I’m trying to achieve is the ability to download movie torrents - and then burn these to a CD-RW disc - and view these movies on my TV through my standalone DVD Player.

That’s been my mission for the past 6-days solid - and I’ve got absolutely nowhere so far. I fluked it with a successful download and burn of movie files .bin.nrg to a CD-RW disc - and this played beautifully in my DVD Player. Since then - no luck at all. I’m at present downloading some more movie torrents to build up a collection for burning and viewing.

I’ve been trying to select .bin, or .cue, or MPEG type files.

I’ve also got the most amazing amount of software junk on my desktop in the hopes that one or more of these will help me succeed with this task.

So far I haven’t been able make any of these do the job for me. I’m sure that’s my fault, and except for one fluke I haven’t been able to play anything on my DVD Player.

What I really need is about 5 or 6 people to tell me [I]exactly[/I] what sort of torrent files they select to download… and what settings they use when burning to what kind of disc… and how this is able to be viewed in their standalone DVD Players.

I would then try out each example until I found the one which allows me to do the same successfully.

What some people elsewhere are not quite understanding with me is that I FIRST want to know how to do this thing successfully by [B]dumb rote[/B] – with me then LATER doing the 3-year intensive study course to understand the Why’s and Wherefore’s and the science behind it all.

I’m afraid 5-6 people will give you very different answers, because their sucess largely depends on what DVD player they have and could be skewed by their personal preferences. Your trial-and-error method has not proven successful so far, so if you want any further help I suggest you provide the simple information asked for. By presuming to know what is behind the question, and getting it wrong, will impede your progress substantially.

Without the make and model number of your DVD player, we can’t tell whether commonly-distributed .avi files will play, and I’m assuming you have read the reminder of the rules for Newbies about assisting with downloaded movies.

My DVD Recorder/Player is a SONY RDR-HX900

http://www.productreview.com.au/showitem.php?item_id=2997

I thought it answered your question when I stated that my DVD Player accepts… “My DVD Player accepts DVD Video (DVDs) and VIDEO CDs (VCDs) or CD-Rs/CD-RWs in VIDEO CD/Super VIDEO CD format.”

Hi Rumplestiltskin,
Say no more - there is nothing wrong with your discs probably, but they find something like copywright protection…it’s a Sony!
I’ve got one just like yours and it does exactly the same. With a particular disc I was lent it got frozen and it was necessary to take the plug off the socket to restart it, and other players read the disc with no problem at all.

I’ve just burnt a DivX torrent file to a CD-RW using Nero StartSmart… and as usual my standalone DVD Player rejected this with “Cannot play this disc”.

I tried using ‘Alcohol 120%’ but I didn’t even get to first base. It refused to import the torrent file from my desktop.

My two-week quest to find a solution to this ridiculous problem continues. I have an expensive DVD Player which damn near accepts everything - but I can’t get these burnt DVDs to play in it. I’m willing to spend money on some software which will eliminate this idiotic situation of different file types not playing on standalone DVDs.

And I’ve got to say, I’m truly amazed that after a full two weeks of seeking advice on three different forums which offer PC help to newbies - I am still not able to burn a disc and play it in my DVD Player.

Wrong, your player cannot handle any mpeg4 format, regardless if it is xvid, divx or h264…

Miracles will happen - I’ve just had some success.

I’ve just successfully burnt a torrent file to a DVD+RW disc which is able to play on my standalone DVD player… with very high quality image and sound.

The torrent file was of the type Xvid - .avi

I used VSO DivxToDVD to convert and burn.

My other success was with a torrent file - .bin.nrg - and I used Alcohol 125%.

That’s because you don’t appear to have done any basic knowledge research about what the different file types and disc formats are, and matched them to your DVD recorder’s playback specifications. As a result the use of terminology in your posts is very misleading for those trying to help you.

DVD recorders are generally not very good players compared to dedicated DVD players and very few of them play back XviD/DivX as .avi files. The fact that you kept referring to it as a “DVD player” skewed the later discussion away from providing relevant help, and you only just mentioned that it’s DivX files that you are trying to play.

Now that we know, to re-encode .avi to something your recorder might play, try ConvertXtoDVD and convert the DivX file to DVD-Video.

Edit: I see you have had success after all by converting to DVD. Good news :clap:

Never buy sony anything since they are the number one company with trying to protect everything so you cannot back it up.

Imkidd - you are giving me far too much credit. I am a newbie’s newbie.

That’s because you don’t appear to have done any basic knowledge research about what the different file types and disc formats are, and matched them to your DVD recorder’s playback specifications.

I have read it all until my eyeballs have hung like yo-yo’s… and damned if it makes any sense to me.

I have a thick DVD Recorder/Player Guide Book and it says absolutely ****-all about what ‘file types’ will be accepted for play in the DVD drive.

What it does say is that it will play…DVD Video; Video CDs in Video CD/Super Video CD format; CD in music CD format; DATA CD which contaon MP3 audio track.

When I go looking for torrents to download to burn to disc and view in my DVD Recorder/Player… there is no indication whatsoever except by trial-and-error what file-types will be able to play in my standalone DVD Recorder/Player. And my DVD Recorder/Player Guide Book says nothing about that I should choose .bin files or .cue files or .avi files - or whatever.

“DVD recorders are generally not very good players compared to dedicated DVD players and very few of them play back XviD/DivX as .avi files.”

“… play back Xvid/DivX as .avi files”. I haven’t even the vaguest idea what you mean by this.

“Now that we know, to re-encode .avi to something your recorder might play, try ConvertXtoDVD and convert the DivX file to DVD-Video.”

Where would I find this DivX file… ?

chef… "Wrong, your player cannot handle any mpeg4 format, regardless if it is xvid, divx or h264… "

Could somebody please direct me to the Newbie Threads. I haven’t a clue what you mean by this.

xvid, divx or h264… :rolleyes: Dear O dear O dear.

All that are mpeg4 formats that your player / recorder cannot handle.
Divx 3.x/4/5/6
XviD
H.264
VC-1
etc.