Burnt DVD will not play on certain DVD players

[qanda]This thread is about the Philips DVP3150V DVD/VCR Player. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hello:

I just downloaded a movie off of Bittorrent. I burnt the AVI movie in Nero. When it was done, I went to play it on my VCR/DVD combo from Philips and it had white lines all across the screen. You could see the movie in the background but the white lines were covering it. I decided to take it and play it on other DVD players throughout the house. It worked on all of them including my laptop. No white lines. I checked it again to make sure and also put a different DVD in the DVD player and it worked fine. The white lines were still there for my burnt DVD. Can anyone tell me why this is happening? Is it because the DVD player is older that all of the others? Was is a certain format of the DVD? I remember when I started encoding the DVD it asked me if I wanted to change a format? That most of the DVD was in this certain format and if i wanted to change the whole file to that? I clicked yes thinking that was the most obvious? Thanks for your help!

Dan

Info:

DVD= DVD +R

This is nothing new and there is not much you can do about it either.
Not all stand alone players will play all burned media, as you see.
Computer drive is not an indicator, because it will play almost anything.
You can try different disc brand, sometime it wil help, but other than that there is not much else.
What encoder did, changing format, is most likely change mpeg4 to mpeg2, which is a DVD format.
You can also try to change Book Type, if you burner can do it. It is to change DVD+R designation to DVD-ROM, for older player, it may work.
Also DVD-R may work better.

Sounds like a typical media issue. Quality media is the typical solution. Verbatim and Taio Yuden offer the most consistent results and compatibility.