Burnt CDs do not play on my CD player

vbimport

Hi,

this will eventually make you laugh, cause I am not striving for highest burning speeds on DVD, but I am just looking for a solution to burn audio CDs and play them on the CD player in the living room, quite an oldfashioned issue :wink:

I already burnt quite some CDs in the past that were also playing well on this Kenwood CD player.

However since I have a new computer with an LG GH20N drive, this Kenwood player does no longer accept these CDs. However they playback well on other players in the car for instance.

I remarked that the written zone on the back of the CD is much less visible when burnt with this LG GH20N drive. As if it wouldn’t use enough power.

On this site I saw that there are a couple of parameters, writing strategies etc. so I am asking myself whether there is not a way to get the drive burn the CDs a little “better”.

I am using the Linux Brasero burning sw, but also under windows it didn’t work. The CD brand I want to use is TEVION 52x.

Thanks in advance for your help (if there is any)

Cheers

Monfinal

Many CD players have issues with “buned” discs.

And even those that play burned discs often have issues with specific brands or even batches of burned discs.

If your unit played burned discs in the past are you using the same discs? the same burner?

AD

Hi,

no, I am using different equipment, previously it was an internal Toshiba writer in a laptop. Now it is the LG writer in a desktop.

I tried two or three different brands of CDs with the same result. I just had the hope that by “tuning” the LG writer or by setting it up differently I could work around this issue.

Montfinal

Hi and Welcome![QUOTE=Montfinal;2565063]
this will eventually make you laugh, cause I am not striving for highest burning speeds on DVD, but I am just looking for a solution to burn audio CDs and play them on the CD player in the living room, quite an oldfashioned issue ;-)[/quote]No, this nothing to laugh about.

However since I have a new computer with an LG GH20N drive, this Kenwood player does no longer accept these CDs. However they playback well on other players in the car for instance.

Some home CD players were not designed to handle CD-R, also dust and simply aging (of the laser system) can cause playback problems with CD-R which have a somewhat lower refelctivity than factory pressed discs.
Not all modern drives are able to produce good CD-R quality. Normally, I’d consider LG drives being not among the bad ones.

Here are the ingredients:

1. [li][B]The DVD (or CD) writer. [/B][/li]As mentioned above, most LG drives aren’t that bad. Please provide the exact model number.
    [li][B]The blank media.[/B][/li]You can buy many good things at Aldi, but their Tevion stuff (usually by bestmedia) is a mixed bag. Please provide real manufacturer information (I am not sure if Brasero can give this information, but since you have Windows also, you may try Nero Info Tool or Nero Disc Speed).
    The best media you can get is CD-R from Taiyo Yuden, nowadays often sold under JVC brand. Make sure they are “Made in Japan”. Other options are Ritek or CMC made discs, but their longevity is often questionable.
    [li][B]The burn parameter [/B](basically write speed).[/li]Using the maximum speed offered is seldom a good idea for creating audio CDs that are to be used in picky players.
    I personally prefer 16x as write speed. You can also try 8x (if supported) or 24x.

Michael

Hello,

thanks for your message !

Here the requested information:

1. Nero Info Tool delivers

Drive : HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH20NS10
Firmware Version : EL00
Buffer Size : 2 MB
Serial Number : K6786G80508
Read Speed : 48 , 40 , 32 , 24 , 16 , 10 X
Write Speed : 48 , 40 , 32 , 24 , 16 , 8 , 4 X

1. Nero Info tool says:
    Plasmon, CD-R, 79:59.74

2. I tried slower speeds, not yet 8x. Will do. However are there other parameters to play with ? I read about patching the firmware to modify the burning strategy … could this be a way to come to better writing ? Even if via trial and error ?

Cheers

Montfinal

Tried burning at 4x speed. No better result.

Ha! I got it. I bought Verbatim CD-Rs marked “AZO”, and all of a sudden the Kenwood player works just marvellous.

In the beginning, it was still having problems beyond track 15 or so, but then I made use of the ultimate dust weapon, a cotton swab.

I must say that I am very happy, I never thought that the choice of a CD brand would have serious influence on the function of the player …

Thanks to all, thanks to this site I was inspired and encouraged through the material I read and the replies I got.

Montfinal

Glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Have a nice Christmas,
Michael