Burns fail, half way or complete and don\'t play (Optiarc AD-7200A)

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Optiarc AD-7200A. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hey guys, I’m new to the forum but have been successfully burning backups for a while now. I haven’t been able to get anything to work recently, though. I have an older LiteOn burner which shows up in XP device manager as a DVD+RW RW5125, and a new from ebay dual-layer burner that is an Optiarc DVD RW AD-7200A. Using Dvdxcopy express, the LiteOn burner will burn all the way through and the computer will tell me the burn process completed, but the disk won’t play in any machine. I just got Dvdnextcopy 3, and I can’t get the new dual-layer drive to burn a movie all the way through. The process will complete, but end early with errors. You can see the disks are only 1/4 to 1/2 burned, and the movies will play but then stop when they get to the end of the burn. Also, I can’t get the DL burner to recognize DL media when its time to burn with Nextcopy. I’m using Memorex +R DL for dual layer and Sony +R for single layer. I’ve already reduced the burn speed on both drives to 2x to make sure I wasn’t overclocking the media. I checked the flash for the new Optiarc DL drive and its up to date - 1.06. Any suggestions are appreciated, Thanks.

Hi ericoutdoors and welcome:

Do not burn at that slow a speed as you are encouraging greater errors. What you are doing is a misconception.

There is an excellent thread to read by forum member Albert

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f33/slow-write-speeds-modern-drives-modern-media-no-good-247643/

Memorex DL are not recommended. Virtually all forum members recommend Verbatim DL.

The first thing to do is get a decryption/ripping program that will work with newer, more advanced copy protections. The main choices are AnyDVD and DVDFab. Those are both commercial programs, but have free trials.

DVDFab has a section that is free to use, and will remain operational even after the trial. It is called DVDFab HD Decrypter, and will do the process of decryption and ripping to the hard drive. It won’t compress if that is necessary, but there are free options for that, like DVDShrink.
http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm
www.mrbass.org (for DVDShrink)

The next step is to check your Optiarc drive. Make sure you are using an 80 wire IDE cable with this drive. Make sure dma is enabled. This guide will show you how to check that: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f61/troubleshooting-enabling-checking-dma-windows-vista-xp-2000-me-9x-101616/

Now on to your choices in media. The Sony single layer disks are ok. The Memorex are not. If you are going to burn to dual layer, use Verbatim, as they are the only ones reliable enough to be recommended. And if you are going to burn to dual layer media, I strongly urge you to look into using a burning program called ImgBurn. It is free to use, and is one of the best for setting the layer break correctly on dual layer burns. It is my main burning program for all types of burns these days. You might also be interested in looking through the guides to using it: http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showforum=4

Now, burning speed. If you are burning 16x single layer at 2x, there is a good chance of producing poor burns. Read this stickied post from the Blank Media forum: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f33/slow-write-speeds-modern-drives-modern-media-no-good-247643/ My advice is to burn these Sony disks at 8x in your Optiarc. 12x might also work well.

Use the Memorex DL disks to decorate your Christmas tree. Buy some Verbatim dual layer and burn them at 4x.

Thanks for the input. So did I waste $$ getting the dvdnextcopy? I installed it, then had to go find the machinist2 decrypter. I read the other decrypter - dvd43 - I think, was reported to foul your machine so I didn’t mess with it. So far I’ve upped my burn speed for the optiarc drive and set it for DMA. Haven’t checked for 80 wire IDE cable but I’m willing to bet its a 40 wire. Tried another burn and I get the same result: 1/8 to 1/4 of disc visibly burned, and the movie plays but just stops when it gets to the end of the data track. I’ll check/replace that cable and install your recommended software and see what happens.

Are you still using Memorex DL media?

Not bothering with the memorex DL media after your input. I tried the with the sony single layer and got the result stated above. Checked the IDE cable and its 40 wire for sure - I’m going to order a new one and hope that helps. I’m not even bothering trying to burn with my older LiteOn drive since I haven’t gotten a successful dvd burn out of it in months. Do your recommendations mirror kerry56’s? Thanks for the help so far.

hmm… well I for one use memorex and verbatim DL media on my lite on unit but I also booktype them to dvd-rom all the time. I never experienced that much failure as other except this bad batch but memorex sent me replacement for the bad batch since they were under warranty still and I had the receipt to fax to them. Also as others have mentioned in the
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f33/slow-wr...o-good-247643/
not every system is equally matched and what works for setting in one will not work in another. So you will have to make sure what media will best work in your system even if it is memorex. Right now I am burning my verbatim DL 50 pack DL media since I burned all of my 50 memorex DL media. Since making coasters at max setting I tuned it down to 2.4x for DL and 6x for SL media and sometimes set SL media to 2-2.4x and haven’t had any problem doing burns like that or play back.

80 wire IDE cable and I just burned my first good burn in months! Thanks for all your help guys. Now, the next question: What is the easy way to rip dvd’s to my harddrive and play them back from there without burning them first? Virtual drives, or is there an easier way?

Rip with DVDFab HD Decrypter in either file mode or ISO mode. Play them back with VLC media player. It can open and play either one.
http://www.videolan.org/

By the way, glad to hear you got everything working.

Thanks again Kerry 56 - its great to be back on the horse. FYI, the Memorex DVD +R DL seems to burn fine - should I expect decay problems? I’ll get the Verbatim as per your recommendation just in case…

Some people are having good luck with Memorex DL, especially the 8x version that is the Ritek S04 mid code. But they seem to work best on the very newest burners, like your Optiarc. They just aren’t consistent enough for us to recommend them to everyone, especially since Verbatim is widely available and much more compatible across a variety of burners.

Even though I have two burners capable of using the Ritek S04 variety, I’d still be a bit queasy using them. I’d wait till the Verb DL go on sale.

Since you seem to be doing ok with them, I’d run a scan on them using Nero CD/DVD Speed, then check them again sometime in the future. No one knows the long term stability of these disks yet.

Ok, ok, you guys are right again. The Memorex DL burned and play fine in my machine but will only play in my blu-ray player, not my new panasonic multidisc home theater system. You sure know what you’re talking about. Thank you, thank you again for all you tips, time and help.

[QUOTE=ericoutdoors;2162455][qanda]This thread is about the Optiarc AD-7200A. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hey guys, I’m new to the forum but have been successfully burning backups for a while now. I haven’t been able to get anything to work recently, though. [B]I have an older LiteOn burner which shows up in XP device manager as a DVD+RW RW5125[/B], and a new from ebay dual-layer burner that is an Optiarc DVD RW AD-7200A. Using Dvdxcopy express, the LiteOn burner will burn all the way through and the computer will tell me the burn process completed, but the disk won’t play in any machine. I just got Dvdnextcopy 3, and I can’t get the new dual-layer drive to burn a movie all the way through. The process will complete, but end early with errors. You can see the disks are only 1/4 to 1/2 burned, and the movies will play but then stop when they get to the end of the burn. Also, I can’t get the DL burner to recognize DL media when its time to burn with Nextcopy. I’m using Memorex +R DL for dual layer and Sony +R for single layer. I’ve already reduced the burn speed on both drives to 2x to make sure I wasn’t overclocking the media. I checked the flash for the new Optiarc DL drive and its up to date - 1.06. Any suggestions are appreciated, Thanks.[/QUOTE]

That is an RICOH burner.

Interestingly enough, I’m having the same problems with the Verbatim DL as with the Memorex DL - The disks will play in my blu-ray but not my relatively new panasonic 5 disc home theater player. Any thoughts?