BurnProof problem with 708A and CD-Rs

Hi,

I just tried to burn a couple of CD-Rs with my Plextor 708A (update: I have still fw 1.04) and the latest Plextools 2.11. These are actually the first CD-Rs burnt with that drive, since I also have a Premium and so I use the 708A only for DVDs.

I am experiencing a strange thing: burning a .PXI file at 16x, I see some oscillations of the internal 2MB (Alas!) buffer during the track change, but buffer level bar never goes down below at least 60%, and the led always remains in “green” state.

At the end of the (successful) burn, I get 256 occurrences of “BP rec activity (BP counter)”. This is the counter of Buffer Underruns, or am I wrong? It does not happen if I use the Premium. My system is quite clean and stable, I have no difficulties burning even at 40x with my Premium and my Lite-on 851, or burning DVDs even at 8x with my 708A.

Any hint or opinion? Thanks in advance, and Happy Easter to everyone. :slight_smile:

ET

That number 256 seems too ‘perfect’ to be a count of buffer underrun errors as 256 = 2^8.

My intuition tells me that this BP Rec counter counts something else, but I’ll have to research it. (My PX-708A never hits zero buffer, but I get BP Rec counts like that using Plextools 2.11 and FW 1.06 as well.)

Hi Jucius!

Yeah, you are right about 256=2^8. By the way, I obtained exactly the same number using a CD-RW and a CD-R (burning the same .PXI file, however).

My guess was that “BP” means “BurnProof”… I have searched through the Plextools manual and also here in the forum but I wasn’t able to find an answer…I have just sent a mail to Plextor customer support, so I’ll keep you posted.

Thanks again! :bigsmile:

ET

Originally posted by Jucius_Maximus
That number 256 seems too ‘perfect’ to be a count of buffer underrun errors as 256 = 2^8.

Hi, I am talking with techies at Plextor. The only answer I had for now is the following:

From Plextor tech support:

Indeed the BP counter reports the number of buffer underruns that have occured.

I’ll keep you informed.

Regards, ET.

My intuition tells me that this BP Rec counter counts something else, but I’ll have to research it.

That is … disturbing.

:confused: :sad: :confused: :sad:

Hi Jucius, I have more disturbing bad news… :frowning:

I finally received a mail from Plextor telling me that the drive is defective and suggesting to RMA it.

I honestly don’t know what to do… the drive works fine for DVDs, and also the few CDs I made are OK…

What do you think? :confused:

Regards,

ET

I’d say that if Plextor says you should RMA it, you should.

If the drive is functioning in all modes, and the discs play okay, why RMA? The 256 BP is, as mentioned, too perfect, and could be related to the app or anything else. If you are getting 256BP, that just means the drive counted that many events. If the buffer stayed full, I’d suspect a system or application problem.

If you have acces to another system, try that. If still reported as 256, then maybe I’d RMA the drive. Remember, you have a 1 yr warranty.

Bob11879 and G@M3FR3@K, thanks for your answers!

I can see reading your posts that it is not an easy choice!

Originally posted by bob11879
Remember, you have a 1 yr warranty.

Well, actually 2 years here in Europe…

However, I experience the “BP problem” only with Plextools, I tried to burn with the 708 using Nero and CloneCD and I had no problem.

UPDATE: I tried to UNCHECK “Use buffer underrun” in Plextools, to see if the burning process would stop at some time, but it finished correctly, including lead-out (still with BP=256, of course)!

My idea is that the problem is at software level… I must admit that I have a lot of burning software installed, a lot of devices (also SCSI and USB2), virtual drives, and therefore the possibility of some kind of conflict is not irrelevant…

I am planning to upgrade my system from Windows 2000 to Windows XP, and to do some tests using VMWare, so for the moment I’ll keep my 708 (which is able to burn my Princo-DVD-R 4x crap quite well…) and see what it happens.

It is important for me to hear opinions from people more experienced than me, so thanks again. :slight_smile:

Regards,

ET

And be sure to keep us updated if you do find out what’s causing the problem :wink:

I will do it for sure! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Best regards,

ET

Originally posted by G@M3FR3@K
And be sure to keep us updated if you do find out what’s causing the problem :wink:

Hey, sorry it took me so long to reply again on this thread. I have been following it but I was in the middle of final exams.

I’ve done some further testing on my PX-708A and found the following:

1. I never get Buffer Underruns using Nero 5.5.10.42.

2. When burning .pxi files to CD-R in Plextools 2.11, I also get a BP Count of 256 for Audio CD Images. See the attached screencapture. I am having trouble with Plextools and can’t test data CD images right now.

Thus my current position is that I don’t believe Plextor’s story. If we can both get this ‘too perfect’ result on different systems with different data and different .pxi images, I don’t think that this is simply a count of buffer underruns.

OK I manged to get ISO 9660 .pxi burning again working in PlexTools. (Turns out that the sample .pxi I generated came from a corrupted CD :a :sad: .)

Here is the procedure I followed:

1. Prepare a new CD compilation in a folder on my hard drive.

2. Use Plextools Pro to burn this complication to a CD-Rw. (The process was successful. The simulation and actual burn returned identical BP Rec counts of over 40,000! The CD-Rw used was an Verbatim/MCC 10X High Speed that has seen many previous burns.)

3. Use Plextools Pro to make a .pxi file from the Burned CD-Rw.

4. Erase CD-Rw. (Quick-erase.)

5. Burn the .pxi file to the same CD-Rw. (BP Rec count = 256 in both the simulation and actual write.)

6. Burn the .pxi to a Taiyo-Yuden 48X CD-R. BP Rec count = 256. Selected burn speed = 32X. Actual last burn speed = 16X.

Yeah, I doubt this is an actual count of Buffer UnderRuns. In fact I have no idea what the number means!

Hi Jucius_Maximus!

I never get Buffer Underruns using Nero 5.5.10.42.

Thanks for your informations, I also have something to add… During my email contacts with Plextor Technical Support, I made some CD burning tests with the 708A, using Nero 6.3.1.6 and CloneCD (still Olli’s, not the newer one): no buffer underruns at all.

Thus my current position is that I don’t believe Plextor’s story […] I don’t think that this is simply a count of buffer underruns.

Well, I think that in my case (and also in your case) there are NO buffer underruns: I obtained BP=256 also during a 4x burn!

Maybe a software conflict… I will reinstall my system in a couple of weeks (2000->XP), so I want to make some checks with a “bare” WinXP box… let’s see what it happens…

Regards,

ET

Originally posted by eltranquil
Well, I think that in my case (and also in your case) there are NO buffer underruns: I obtained BP=256 also during a 4x burn!

I agree with you.

hi!

i use a PlexWriter 52/24/52A (PX-W5224A), firmware 1.03 - the one it came with and PlexTools V2.01.

i get BP Rec activity: 2 occurences. (BP counter)

it’s funny, because 2^1=2, as someone said above.

CDCheck 3.0.1.43 reports no (0) errors.

btw, i used - by mistake -PlexTools without Buffer underrun proof activated and i got myself 2 waisted cd’s of 2.

Welcome to the forum ethical,

In your case you experienced ‘real buffer underruns’ probaly because of a system that’s too slow or some kind of conflict. I say this because when you turned off BURN-Proof the drive produced a coaster which was not the case with the people in this old thread you replied on. They experienced problems with PlexTools reporting too many buffer underrun occurences which didn’t show when using other software.

it is my mistake: i didn’t make myself clear…
the 2 BP occurencies were achieved with BURN Proof avtivated.
Without BURN Proof activated, the drive produced coasters.
the system is not slow at all: P4C@3G w/ 1GB DDR400 Corsair CL2, abit is7.
my mistake… it seems it’s a software bug or something in PlexTools.

Maybe it is the software problem.

That is what I meant, when you disable BURN-Proof the drive produced a buffer underrun and a useless disc. Have you tried burning with other software (and BURN-Proof disabled)? You have to disable it to tell if there are any buffer underruns because else the software (like Nero) will just mention that the burn was successful. Do you understand what I’m saying? Also, is your system overclocked or using any nVidia drivers? Please report back.