Burning x264 to DVD

I like the x264 mkv format because it’s really high quality for it’s compact size in my opinion. However since it can’t be played from data disc like divx the only way for me to make them playable on dvd is to author them. & when I open files in TMPGEnc DVD Author 3 they always automatically make them 3 times bigger in the output size. It does have an option at the end where you can limit the output size but what I’m wondering is if there’s a way to burn the file to dvd in a size same as the original without lowering the quality. Because I like how with divx you can play it from data format and not lose any quality that way, but the x264 is preferable to me and some things I download like tv shows only come in a 700 mb avi version and a 880 mb x264 version that’s significantly better.

X264 has better compression qualities. This is why your file sizes go up when you convert to divx or dvd-video. To maintain the same quality output, you’ll have to put up with larger files.

If your mkv files happen to be high def, you can get a Blu Ray player that can handle AVCHD files and play them that way. You can convert mkv to AVCHD using multiAVCHD and retain the original quality. The Sony blu ray players seem to be a good choice for AVCHD compatibility.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2273527]X264 has better compression qualities. This is why your file sizes go up when you convert to divx or dvd-video. To maintain the same quality output, you’ll have to put up with larger files.

If your mkv files happen to be high def, you can get a Blu Ray player that can handle AVCHD files and play them that way. You can convert mkv to AVCHD using multiAVCHD and retain the original quality. The Sony blu ray players seem to be a good choice for AVCHD compatibility.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the response. Yeah the file is HD, I’m somewhat new to this stuff and thought all x264 files were so I didn’t specify that. With my authoring program though it’s not just the x264 that has higher automated output size than the original file, it’s pretty much every kind of file. Which is sort of annoying because I get the dvd rips in order to get a smaller sized version that I can put several to a disc and then I put it in the authoring program and it puts it at a size that’s like 2 or 3 gigs. Do you know if all dvd authoring programs do this or is it exclusive to TMPGEnc. Because it would be cool if there was one that kept it at the original size and retained the quality without increasing it 2 or 3 times.

If you are converting x264 or divx or xvid to dvd-video, you will get larger files. Mpeg2 used in dvd-video simply isn’t as efficient in compression. You can manually set the bitrate lower, or go to a smaller resolution that is still dvd compliant and get slightly smaller files, but you may not like either the quality produced or the playback on the smaller resolution. If in the US, half D1 would be 352 x 480 resolution…compared to the normal 720 x 480.

What bitrate are you using now? The normal settings I use are VBR encoding at 8000 kbps max, 6000 kbps average and approx 1000kbps lowest. But I don’t care about output size very much. I try for maximum quality. I also use ProCoder instead of TMPGenc. You could try something like 4500kbps as the average setting using VBR encoding and see if that would be a good compromise on quality/size.

The type of audio used can also have an effect on total size of your dvd-video. AC3 audio is much more compressed than pcm, so that is what you should be using. If you are in a PAL standards country you could also use mp2.

[QUOTE=Sinse Smoka;2273502]I like the x264 mkv format because it’s really high quality for it’s compact size in my opinion. [B]However since it can’t be played from data disc like divx [/B]the only way for me to make them playable on dvd is to author them. & when I open files in TMPGEnc DVD Author 3 they always automatically make them 3 times bigger in the output size. It does have an option at the end where you can limit the output size but what I’m wondering is if there’s a way to burn the file to dvd in a size same as the original without lowering the quality. Because I like how with divx you can play it from data format and not lose any quality that way, but the x264 is preferable to me and some things I download like tv shows only come in a 700 mb avi version and a 880 mb x264 version that’s significantly better.[/QUOTE]

Since when???

I don’t know, you tell me, can it be played from data disc on dvd players? I thought they only played divx format.

Because it would be cool if there was one that kept it at the original size and retained the quality without increasing it 2 or 3 times.

If you want to retain the quality w/o increasing it’s size then don’t convert…Instead, extract the contents with MKVextract Gui and mux back with a multiplexer like Yamb, and use the .MP4 container…
However as noted above, you’ll need a HD player that supports H264/x264 in an MP4 container…I use my PS3 for BR viewing and for this type of playback…I don’t know any [I]standard[/I] DVD player that supports h264 in an mkv or mp4 container…When burning use the UDF 2.50 file system…
If you want standard DVD playback, then you will have to convert to DVD structure, as stated above…
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MKVtoolnix
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/YAMB