Burning without DVDshrink

I have always backed up my dvd’s with DVDFab and then used DVDshrink to fit the files on a single layer DVD. Using this feature meant that after shrink processed the files it activated Nero automatically and burned the dvd. I am now thinking of backing up onto dual layer media which means that I will have to activate Nero myself to burn the disc. I have tried to burn dvd’s before but could not find how to get Nero to burn the backed up files. Maybe I have selected the wrong option. Am I supposed to select “disc image or saved project”?I am using Nero Express 6
Thanks
Randal

Well, there is an option to have DVDShrink output to DVD-9, but that isn’t a good option for what you are doing.

I suggest using a different program for burning to double layer dvds. It is called ImgBurn, and is free to download and use. This program will set the layer break correctly on double layer burns, which many other burning programs don’t do well. www.imgburn.com

Take a look at this guide for burning dvd movie files to DL media. http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=1780

Edit: Ooops…didn’t notice this was in the Nero forum. They may hunt me down! I still stand by my advice though.

I thankyou for your quick and informative response. I thought that after DVDFab ripped my disc for backup purposes that I could use Nero to backup the files from the DVDFab folders. Is there a step between Ripping with DVDFab and Burning with either Nero or Imgburn for dual layer?

If you are going to a DL disk, you don’t need to process the files. It should fit.

Either Nero or ImgBurn can burn the dvd files straight away. The main thing you have to remember with DL burns is the fact that there is only [B]one[/B] brand of DL media reliable enough for us to recommend. That is Verbatim.

If you buy the older, slower Verbatim disks, marked 2.4-6x, I’d burn at 4x. If you get the newer version, marked 8x, I’d burn them at 4x or 6x to start. You might have to experiment a bit to find the optimal speed for your particular burner.

Thanks again. I have been using Sony blank media so far for single layer and have had no problems, is Sony dual layer media reliable? I am using an LG supermulti burner
Randal

No. Do not buy Sony DL media. As I said, the only reliable DL disks that are widely available are Verbatim. If you are in the US, you can find them locally at Best Buy.

[QUOTE=Randal;2295790] Maybe I have selected the wrong option. Am I supposed to select “disc image or saved project”?I am using Nero Express 6
Thanks
Randal[/QUOTE]
If you are shrinking your movie to a folder with vob files, you would use the “video/pictures” and “dvd video files” function in Nero express :).

[QUOTE=Randal;2295790]I have always backed up my dvd’s with DVDFab and then used DVDshrink to fit the files on a single layer DVD. Using this feature meant that after shrink processed the files it activated Nero automatically and burned the dvd. I am now thinking of backing up onto dual layer media which means that I will have to activate Nero myself to burn the disc. I have tried to burn dvd’s before but could not find how to get Nero to burn the backed up files. Maybe I have selected the wrong option. Am I supposed to select “disc image or saved project”?I am using Nero Express 6
Thanks
Randal[/QUOTE]

why use two different programs when just have to use dvdfab?it burns double layer as well.(although i havent used double layer discs(they are more expensive.i just burn main movie only and gives me an excellent quality that wayon single layer ones.

Thanks to all for your assistance
Randal