Burning while gaming?

vbimport

I just burned a bluray at 4x with a mix of small and large files while playing a game that only needs a 2ghz cpu. Buffer stalled a bit because they were on the same drive (moving the game for test #2) but after that everything was fine. I have a lot of stuff to burn and I really want to have some sort of distraction while doing it. Is there anything to worry about other than the buffer? I didn’t think to look at cpu usage, but I have an i5 4690k @4.2. It’s not like I’m trying to run Crysis 3 :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=hxclespaulplayer;2776880]I just burned a bluray at 4x with a mix of small and large files while playing a game that only needs a 2ghz cpu. Buffer stalled a bit because they were on the same drive (moving the game for test #2) but after that everything was fine. I have a lot of stuff to burn and I really want to have some sort of distraction while doing it. Is there anything to worry about other than the buffer? I didn’t think to look at cpu usage, but I have an i5 4690k @4.2. It’s not like I’m trying to run Crysis 3 :P[/QUOTE]
Burning requires alot of CPU power and RAM and any hiccups will have unintended consequences in the fail burn or burn but failed copy. Rather one should wait and then do with they need to do next.

The only issues that I’ve seen, are as you noted, disk access/buffer related. I don’t see much cpu usage while burning. At least not enough to worry about.

[QUOTE=Oddba11;2777184]The only issues that I’ve seen, are as you noted, disk access/buffer related. I don’t see much cpu usage while burning. At least not enough to worry about.[/QUOTE]
You can’t see all the CPU process to know that for sure. Like I said if you want a clean burn and no coaster let it finish and then play your games.

How much multitasking you can do will be system dependent.
Burning requires a some CPU cycles, but not a huge amount. It requires a chunk of RAM, but again not that much.
Burning does require quite a lot of HDD I/O. If you have an SSD then it won’t even break into a sweat, when burning and doing other tasks.

The purists will tell you, don’t burn and do other tasks. Then again, the purists will tell you to buy an £80 HDMI cable when a £10 cable will do just as well.

Mileage will vary, when burning and doing other tasks. If you can multitask when burning then the quality of the burn will be same as doing no other tasks while burning.

If you get a coaster when multitasking and burning, then you would have to suspect that either your system overall isn’t powerful enough, or simply that your HDD can’t keep up.

[QUOTE=Dee;2777209]How much multitasking you can do will be system dependent.
Burning requires a some CPU cycles, but not a huge amount. It requires a chunk of RAM, but again not that much.
Burning does require quite a lot of HDD I/O. If you have an SSD then it won’t even break into a sweat, when burning and doing other tasks.[/QUOTE]If you want to burn all the time get a Core2Duo and make that your burning machine it’s that simple.

[QUOTE=Dee;2777209]The purists will tell you, don’t burn and do other tasks. Then again, the purists will tell you to buy an £80 HDMI cable when a £10 cable will do just as well.[/QUOTE]I’ll burst that bubble here-I don’t subscribe to stereotype.

[QUOTE=Dee;2777209]Mileage will vary, when burning and doing other tasks. If you can multitask when burning then the quality of the burn will be same as doing no other tasks while burning.[/QUOTE]If the HDD/SSD is the same HDD/SSD as the main O/S running then that will be problems.

[QUOTE=Dee;2777209]If you get a coaster when multitasking and burning, then you would have to suspect that either your system overall isn’t powerful enough, or simply that your HDD can’t keep up.[/QUOTE]This is why you make a cheap system just for burning and keep your Gaming RIG for Gaming. That is how I have my setup.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2777212]If you want to burn all the time get a Core2Duo and make that your burning machine it’s that simple.[/quote]Why would I spend extra money building a ‘burning only machine’ when my existing one can burn and do other tasks perfectly well?

If the HDD/SSD is the same HDD/SSD as the main O/S running then that will be problems.
Nonsense, if it’s an SSD and caching policies are setup correctly, there should be no problems.

This is why you make a cheap system just for burning and keep your Gaming RIG for Gaming. That is how I have my setup.
Just because that is the way you have yours setup, it doesn’t mean it is the only way.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2777212]If the HDD/SSD is the same HDD/SSD as the main O/S running then that will be problems.[/QUOTE] With HDD there might be problems but it could also be OK, depending on HDD and system.

With SSD you are very unlikely to have problems with normal usage.

Burning might go smoother if you set the burning application to Realtime priority using Task Manager.

I don’t watch the processes, I monitor the cpu usage. When burning, I don’t see much, if any cpu usage. Burning is just moving data from HDD to disc.

As noted above, it varies based on your system specs.

Now if you are authoring a disc, that is a different story. But that’s not what was asked.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2777217]With HDD there might be problems but it could also be OK, depending on HDD and system.

With SSD you are very unlikely to have problems with normal usage.

Burning might go smoother if you set the burning application to Realtime priority using Task Manager.[/QUOTE]

I don’t reccommend real time for any apps, as I’ve seen it bring my PC to a halt far too many times. :a You can risk above average task priority… but I don’t reccommend gaming while burning… web browsing and solitaire are ok though. This is one of the possible killer apps for SSD drives and another reason why more RAM could be utilized to pad the buffer and it’s a shame most burning programs dont’ take advantage of PC’s having 16gb of ram to pad buffer. For example, w/ 16gb an entire DVD could be loaded into ram before burning or 20% of a blu ray disc minimizing data buffer underruns.