Burning video from camera/computer to DVD (JVC Everio GZ-MG330H)

[qanda]This thread is about the JVC Everio GZ-MG330H. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Can anyone help with this - I have successfully downloaded video from my camera - JVC Everio GZ-MG330H onto my computer - Dell with Windows XP-Pro. I now want to burn this onto a DVD, but the software refuses to recognise there is a disc in the drive - just says - ‘please insert disc’ and I can get no further. I have tried to copy straight from camera, but again all goes well until the last and I get ‘please insert disc’. Thanx for reading this, whether you can help or not.

what is the make and model of your dvd burner? What brand of dvd’s are you trying?

Oh dear! Looks like I’m trying to do the impossible - was told I only need a DVD burner if I don’t have a computer - so I don’t have one!

Have now got the Everio Share station DVD burner and successfully copied video onto the JVC disc that came with it. But now it won’t copy onto any other discs - tried Sony DVD-R and DVD-RW - both recommended by JVC, but it just comes back ‘incompatible disc’.

Did you finalize the disc? It is very important to follow along with the manual, when working with video and video cameras. There are many things that have to be done exactly right, or your video will not come out correctly.

I have read all the instructions and gone through the tutorials and nothing mentions ‘finalising’ the disc - so I don’t know what that means, but I’ll now do my best to find out. This is my first shot at this, so I have to follow the instructions. Finalising would imply that this is something I would do when it’s copied the stuff - but I can never even get started - except on the JVC disc which came with the burner which worked perfectly. JVC can’t help - they don’t know why their recommended Sony discs won’t work, so I have ordered some JVC discs. Many thanks for your help it is very much appreciated.

Some dvd burners are very picky about what discs they will burn. I suggest you get some Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. They work well in nearly every burner.

As for you Sony media, the quality varies greatly. Sony media could be any one of 3 or 4 different manufactures, and maybe one of those is good. Same goes for most brands of media. We have many many posts here about how to determine which media you are actually getting, and how to tell by just looking at the packaging, which ones are good. It is very complicated, even for us folks who have been doing this for awhile…

Sorry, I have been away. This is where I’m at now. The DVD burner was faulty, according to the makers, so I have returned it but can’t get another locally so I’m waiting for one direct from JVC. I’ll let you know how I get on, thanks again.

I now have a new DVD burner and the correct discs and everything is working prefectly. Many thanx again for your help - I don’t suppose I will ever be knowledgable enough to help anyone else, but I will still visit - you never know!