Burning vcds at high speed

Hi,

I’ve heard that burning VCD’s at high speed can cause the quality to decrease. But what if it is an image of a VCD in bin / cue format.

You should be able to burn these at top speed like data right?

The quality of the image does not decrease or increase regardless of the speed its burnt at. The problem is most DVD Players are unable to read then if burnt at high speed resulting in Audio glitches, pixelation of picture, etc. Even many PC DVD and CD ROMS have trouble reading them if burnt at high speed.

VCD and SVCD as bunt to CD in Mode 2 Type 2 format, with low error correction. This format does not like high speed burns. From my experiance, I would not recomend burning at any faster than 1/2 the MAX burn speed of your burner.

I totally agree with Chickenman :smiley: With my own eperiementation I found the suitable burn speed for me is 8x. I’ve burned at max both formats (mpeg2& bin& cue) and have had a few troubles with playback on my home dvd player(s) and my dvd-roms :smiley:
I also found that burning bin& cue is by far the best route to go if you have a large enough hd to store these file(s). I noticed a “slight” improved video quality and on my dvd player, I can scroll through the chapters of the disc. When I was burning mpeg2 format, I had a few bad burns with nero. I endorse BurnAtOnce for burning bin& cue over VCDEasy simply because this program doesn’t update as it should. I have 2 burners that the program doesn’t support.

Shoebedobedoo :cool:

Hi, I’m new here but this same problem is why I came here.

I’m defiantly not an expert on this and I’m sure burning at a slower speed will fix most peoples problems but this is what I found.

I don’t want to burn at 8X, it is to slow for all the VCD/SVCD I make.
It looks to me that the biggest factor that comes in to play here is the quality of the media that you are burning the movies on.

If you are using any of the highly rated media talked about on this forum you can burn up to 24X or 32X without any trouble but higher then that forget it.

I guess what I’m trying to say is just play around with different media if you want to burn faster.
:wink:

Can you please explain your theory as to why burning at 8x is too slow? Did you read ChickMans tutorials on how to backup VCD& SVCD? If there’s anything slow, it’s 56k :smiley:

Well, like I said I’m new on this but 8X burn is about 7 min. when a 24X burn is about 4 min.

That is about half the time to burn. I can burn two VCD movies in the same amount of time.

That is a guess but I know it’s close.

What tutorial? Link please. Thanks

How fast you burn a VCD or SVCD can produce good or bad results. Trust me on this issue as I have burned over 200 dvd’s in SVCD format. I found out really quick burning at high speeds sometimes causes “glitchy”, or wobbled movie. I use to burn MPEG2 format with Nero but I found out through experience by burning bin& cue at 8x I get great video results, and I can scroll through the movie by chapters, rather than fast forward, rewind.
So in conclusion, the object here is to get the best possible video& audio, and as I stated before, I get that by burning 8x and bin& cue format. besides, what’s the big rush burning VCD or SVCD? Just a matter of minutes m8 :smiley:

Recommended software for burning bin& cue: BurnAtOnce, FireBurner or VCDEasy :smiley:

Sometimes, I get lazy and before I know it I have 20 to 30 gigs of VCDs to burn. At 12x, that can take quite sometime to burn compared to 40x or 48x.

All of get lazy at one time or another m8 :smiley: Have you tried SVCD?
SVCD video quality is superior! I did 1 VCD and after taking a peek, I literally had to turn my head because of the poor video quality. I’m “fortunate” to have another pc strictly for dvd encoding :smiley: If you have another pc, I strongly encourage you to try SVCD format. You can locate ChickMans tutorials here as soon as you enter. Get your feet wet and backup some dvd’s in SVCD format and I assure you you won’t burn another VCD :smiley:

Originally posted by cat_hat

That is about half the time to burn. I can burn two VCD movies in the same amount of time.

Originally posted by ntloser

At 12x, that can take quite sometime to burn compared to 40x or 48x.

I would rather end up with a GUARENTEED 100% working burn done at 12 or 16x than a 50% chance of working 100% done at 40x. The brand or CDR’s also affects the results, use the absolute cheapest shit CDR’s around and at 40x or greater, then you are walking on very thin ice indead, best of luck.

I’m in agreement with you ChckenMan :smiley:

International Chat: DVD±RW related (Forum)
http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=66&s=

ChickenMans Tutorials, the absolute best you’ll ever find :smiley:

Originally posted by ntloser
Sometimes, I get lazy and before I know it I have 20 to 30 gigs of VCDs to burn. At 12x, that can take quite sometime to burn compared to 40x or 48x.

Given that each vcd will have taken several hours to encode, isn’t it worth taking a few extra minutes in burning to make sure you get good quality playback? :wink:

Originally posted by philamber

Given that each vcd will have taken several hours to encode, isn’t it worth taking a few extra minutes in burning to make sure you get good quality playback? :wink:

You hit the nail right on the head, bro. It takes me an average of 7 hours to encode 1 movie. It takes about 6 min 30 sec per disc to burn at 12x. No sense getting impatient after the initial time invested.

Damn Prowler, thats pretty good encoding time m8 :smiley: It takes me on an Athlon 950 about 12-14 to encode a movie (SVCD). Like the both of you said, after all that time encoding a movie I’m NOT about to burn at high speed and end up watching a movie that has playback problems. I’m comfortable burning at 8x, and definatly bin& cue format :smiley:

Say guys I want to use Cinema Craft E SP but ever time I drag and drop a AVI to encode, right click the AVI and try to set it SVCD something goes wrong. All I get is a MPG file of 0.

I normal use TMPGEnc but want to learn CCE for the better SVCD video.

What I’m I doing wrong?

Thanks

cat_hat, please post your question in an new thread, it has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with this threads content.

The truth of the matter is, if your burning the VCD just for yourself and your home player… you can burn at any speed you want… as long as it works for you perfectly.
Now if you burn to give to others for them to use on their home systems or trade with others ever online etc… then I suggest you burn them at 4x-8x to insure they will not run into any issues.
Most people you run into have a different standalone player and we all know none of them react the same way.
Better safe than sorry as they say.

PS

CM (ChickenMan) knows his sht very very well, so no sense in argueing with the pro (_^)

WELL:a …fine then

Off to another one…

Originally posted by ChickenMan
From my experiance, I would not recomend burning at any faster than 1/2 the MAX burn speed of your burner.

I’m a little confused with the recommendation. I have an old burner that has a max speed of 8x. Does this still apply? Other people are lowering their speed to 8x for safety reasons, but for me, it’s my max speed. Should I burn at 4x, or does this recommendation apply to only people with fast burners?

megalol @entire thread

If you have a picky player, you must select media and write speed so that you get a high quality burn. Which media-speed-combo is going to give a high quality burn depends on your burner, but generally saying “4x-8x” is just nonsense. Some burners will even have lower write quality at that speed on some media.
The one and only way is to try it and find out which media-speed-combo is working with your burner and player. A general recommendation cannot be made and is always wrong.

Jitter and FE measurements would be very helpful to analyse discs which don’t work, and a Plextor 52/32 Premium drive is what you need for these measurements :smiley: