Burning under 4.4 gigs to a dual layer DVD+R

This may sound dumb, but is it going to be possible to use just one layer of the dual layer DVD+Rs coming out. In other words can I copy a single layer DVD to a dual layer DVD+R?

I see no reason why one couldnt do it

I heard when you write to a dual layer disc, both layer need data written to them.

After reading this and the related pdf files i still see no reason why one couldnt record on the first layer only.

Nevertheless i do recall people saying that the data recorded on DL media should span both layers ie if 2Gb were to be recorded there should be 1Gb of data stored in each layer.

Maybe someone from the tech forum will be kind enough to fill us in

Even so though, you’d still be able to record a single layer DVD to a DL DVD, you would just be using both layers to some extend.

Philips said in one of their press releases that equal amounts of data would have to written to each layer…they were going to achieve this by the use of dummy data…i.e if you only had 2 gig of data this would be written to layer1 and 2 gig of dummy data would be written to layer 2…this however increased recording times greatly…I think that now they said that the data will be split equally between the layers reducing recording times when using less than the full capacity of the disc…
How this will work with rewritables and packet writing or Mt rainier in the future I’m not sure…

Originally posted by plimo
Philips said in one of their press releases that equal amounts of data would have to written to each layer…they were going to achieve this by the use of dummy data…i.e if you only had 2 gig of data this would be written to layer1 and 2 gig of dummy data would be written to layer 2…this however increased recording times greatly…I think that now they said that the data will be split equally between the layers reducing recording times when using less than the full capacity of the disc…
How this will work with rewritables and packet writing or Mt rainier in the future I’m not sure…

This is what i know/ have read too.

When a dual layer disc is used, the amount of data that has to be written will be divided in two (roughly). Between the two data parts a layer break will be inserted. So, for example, when you want to record 4GB of data to a DL disc, 2GB of data will be written to both layers.
source somewhere in the middle