Burning two sided 9.4GB iso file

Greetings
How do I burn a (close to) 9.4GB iso file?
The media I have is panasonic two sided dvd-ram 2x4.7GB
What burning software will “recognize” this volume, and “know” how to burn two-sided media?
I work with windows XP SP3
and LG dvd writer HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH20NS10 (EL00)
many thanks to you all

Hi

How do I burn a (close to) 9.4GB iso file?

On a DL disc

The media I have is panasonic two sided dvd-ram 2x4.7GB

Wrong media. You need DL disc.

What burning software will “recognize” this volume, and “know” how to burn two-sided media?
Nero can burn DL. You cannot split a 9 gig iso into two 4.5 gig “halves” and burn them on double sided media. It is not possible.

and LG dvd writer HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH20NS10 (EL00)
That can write DL discs.

Appreciate your prompt answer
so two-sided 9.4GB is not the answer.
Now where do I get DL 9.4GB
and I still don’t know which software to use?
I have Nero 6.6 so I suppose it does not handle 9.4GB DL or DS
Roxio 10 also goes up to 8.5GB
thanks again

I was under the impression that the largest DL blank media was 8.5gb.

Is this ISO you have a dvd-video by any chance? If so, it is relatively easy to split using DVDShrink or DVDFab Platinum.

it appears from Mr. Belvedere’s answer that there are DL 9.4GB
I asked Google just to make sure and found few internet shops willing to sell these odd creatures.
No, this iso is not a video. it is not in dvd format so that dvdshrink or dvdfab can’t help.
I still don’t know which program to use when burning dvd dl 9.4GB
can you help?

The only reference I can find to 9.4GB disks are DVD-10, which are double sided single layer disks. Which means you’d still have to split this ISO to fit to both sides. And DVD-10 disks are not common.

Perhaps you’d like to share a link to the ones you’ve found?

Seems CMC has them.

Mr. Belvedere, look closely at that chart. It says “Double Side Single Layer”. Those are “flipper” dvds, where you have to flip the disk to burn to the other side.

Do you know of any ISO burning program that will stop in the middle of the burn so you can flip the disk?

My humble apologies. You are correct.

Do you know of any ISO burning program that will stop in the middle of the burn so you can flip the disk?
No, but it’d be awesome! :slight_smile:

So, no 9.4 gig media yet.

Perhaps it’s better to open the iso in a Virtual drive and see if you can make two discs out of them.

Well you try combining both sides in DVD Shrink in reauthor mode (have one side copied on your HDD) then let it transcode it down to the size you need (about a 10% hit). Check the resultant file and if the quality suits you (it should look pretty much like the original) burn to a DL with ImgBurn.

Unfortunately, it isn’t a video MysticEyes. Mr Belvedere’s idea would be the only route I can think of, but it may not be possible to split the data evenly and fit two regular dvds.

AFAIK, only DVD-RAM Ds exist as 9.4GB media.
DVD10(flipper) DVD-R doesnt hold that much.

Where does the file come from??

There is a way to install an iso file to a computer without burning to a disk.

This little caddy allows you to install an iso straight from the hard drive to your computer.

hope this helps

^An interesting little device spacehaggis, but I’m not sure it fits entirely within the scope of this old thread.

By the way, Windows 8 will allow you to mount an ISO file from any storage disk, without the need to have disc emulation software.

SOME versions of Roxio will burn disc-spanning image files.

I’ve never personally used the feature but I’ve seen the software offer the option…

thought this might help some ppl, but yes thats interesting that you can do it from windows 8. haven’t had any experience of windows 8 so far so I reckon I should look into this :slight_smile: ty.