Burning to two DVDs? What software?

I am interesting in burning two dvds simultaneously from one source.
This would be for photo archival purposes. One for onsite and one for offsite.

What software could do this?

Is this a good practice?

[QUOTE=jgrjr;1917248]I am interesting in burning two dvds simultaneously from one source.

Is this a good practice?[/QUOTE]

In theory it should work, but you have to remember each drive will have to be connnected on separate IDE cables but for Sata they are separate so you don’t have to worry as much. But then the software need to be opened in two applications on you Desktop to do two different burns for two different drives. You can do it you just have to have a big enough HDD and large Memory size to do the task and a Fast CPU as this will be a CPU-Memory intensive process. Also once this task is started you shouldn’t be multitasking or any other applications…as this can lead to buffer under run causing coasters. But other reading this might be able to recommend more as to what software you would need. I am just point out from the the hardware and setup side what problems are possible to occur.

[QUOTE=jgrjr;1917248]I am interesting in burning two dvds simultaneously from one source.

Is this a good practice?[/QUOTE]
They sell DVD duplicators, but it is not cheep. I do not think there is a software which will run two computer drives at the same time.

Nero retail will burn to 2 different drives at the same time. The drives will need to be identical, and need to be on separate channels. Alternatively, burning from 2 instances of the same software is also possible, but places 2x the load in the hard drive that’s supplying the data. Very few hard drives are up to the task of 2 separate DVD burns, which is why the simultaneous burn to 2 drives from one instance of Nero is the best solution. (it does not overload the hard drive)

Given all the obstacles, it’s often faster and easier to just burn 2 copies of the disc at high speed. Virtually any burning application allows you to burn 2 copies.

[QUOTE=CDan;1917292]Nero retail will burn to 2 different drives at the same time. The drives will need to be identical, and need to be on separate channels. [/QUOTE]

I have Nero, but did not see any option to burn to two drives.
How do you do that?

Try DVD Juggler

[QUOTE=slytrans69;1919639]Try DVD Juggler[/QUOTE]
Thought it only worked with mac’s?

I am interesting in burning two dvds simultaneously from one source.

I burn simultaneously to 3 Samsung SATA 20x DVD burners at full speed (18x with the media I have) and get fantastic burns with Nero 8. However, all versions of Nero will do the trick. (all full versions, not the OEM versions, IIRC)

If you burn the same thing to the same drives with the same firmware level, the data is sent only once (based on what I see in perfmon…an educated guess).

In Nero at the screen just before burn, select the multiple recorders check box. For every SET of copies you want to make the quantity needs to be incremented by 1 (so if you have 2 drives and want 2 cd’s the quantity is 1). Then press burn, then you can use the ctrl key plus mouse to select your burners.

However, do not try this in a VM…it does not work :slight_smile:

Don’t ask me how I know

I use Disc Juggler Pro to do multi-burning over any multi-computer system like networks. This works on all Windows OS.

[quote=CDuncle;1918997]I have Nero, but did not see any option to burn to two drives.
How do you do that?[/quote] You select the “Use multiple recorders” option on the Burn tab and then select which recorders you want to use in the “Choose Recorders” dialog when you start the burning process.

This is how it’s done in Nero 6.6 and I’m not sure if anything has changed in Nero 7/8.

The drives don’t have to be identical, but if they aren’t identical then you will probably see some buffer under-runs happening (since the burners receive and burn data at different rates) which will lead to burns stopping and restarting which creates relinking points, which in some burners will reduce the burn “quality”.

Ah,yes diskjuggler and dvd juggler are 2 different programs, thanks for clearing that up.