Burning the correct region setting?

Couldn’t figure out where to post this, so I figured I’d try here, and if someone wants to move it, that’s fine.

I’m having a brain fart and can’t seem to remember (or find) the answer…

When I burn a DVD, where do I set the region setting? Is it taken automatically from the setting on my burner (the one I only have 4 chances to change in XP) or is it somewhere else? I don’t see any way to set the setting in any of the software apps I’ve used (DVD Decrypter, Nero, DVD Shrink, etc).

Does it matter what region the DVD I am copying is set to, also? What about a DVD that says on the package that it is “codefree” regarding region settings? Will it burn that way, or am I still required to set it somewhere.

Also, where do I choose NTSC or PAL when I burn?

Thanks for any help.

When you burn a DVD with nero, dvdecrypter, etc… you burn it region free. I don’t know if there are programs that will allow to burn in a specific region.

About NTSC or PAL, if the source is PAL then your movie will stay in PAL (the same for NTSC). If you need to convert…well…search a little in club cdfreaks, this as been discussed many times:p

Thanks for the help. How do I find out what source my DVD is? I’ve looked all over the discs labels, and the outer covers, but don’t see it specified. For instance, I have one I want to copy. It specifies that it is is “codefree”, but not whether it is NTSC or PAL. (I’m assuming PAL, since it was produced in Europe). I’ve looked at in DVDInfo and DVDDecrypter, but they don’t tell me.

I guess my main concern is when I copy or author DVDs that I send to friends in Europe. Do the newer DVD players (even those they buy over there) handle the conversion to PAL, or is it the TVs that need to be able to handle the conversion?

I’ve searched, but am not finding what I need, and I’m still confused. :frowning:

Thanks.

…when I copy or author DVDs that I send to friends in Europe…

Piracy? If yes then i can’t help you anymore…:cop:

PML,

As a noob myself but learning, let me rephrase the question so we may both may learn.

If I were zacklab, and were visiting friends abroad, and wanted to bring my legal backup with me to share with friends at dinner. How could I determine in advance with the tools he says he has, or others…PAL or NSTC? So as t not was time before the trip…:slight_smile:

well, some DVD players are capable of PAL and NTSC decoding, if this is the case, then you don’t need to bother if your DVD is in PAL or NTSC.

If the player is only capable of playing PAL or only NTSC then backup must be in the format that the player accepts.

Here in Europe, the standard format is PAL, but for example, my DVD player (cheap brand), can handle PAL or NTSC format, as so as the majority of the players.

A great program for backing up DVD’s is CloneDVD2.

Assuming that you are going to have dinner with your friends :bigsmile: and then watch a movie backup, it’s best to know before if the player can handle both NTSC and PAL, or just PAL.

JML,

Thank you kindly forthe response. I agree most players can handle either format, and you should take the time to know one way or the other…:slight_smile:

Here in the states, we use NTSC, still learning transcodeing vs re-authoring, but think the software assumes you will try to use it and learn by your mistakes…

Would it also be fair to assume, even a noob should bloody his knuckles first abit with tools like DVDShrink, CloneDVD2, or DVDDecrypter, that it should become a fairly obvious option while your making your first few coasters as to Pal or NTSC??? :slight_smile:

Originally posted by zacklab
[B]Thanks for the help. How do I find out what source my DVD is? I’ve looked all over the discs labels, and the outer covers, but don’t see it specified. For instance, I have one I want to copy. It specifies that it is is “codefree”, but not whether it is NTSC or PAL. (I’m assuming PAL, since it was produced in Europe). I’ve looked at in DVDInfo and DVDDecrypter, but they don’t tell me.

I guess my main concern is when I copy or author DVDs that I send to friends in Europe. Do the newer DVD players (even those they buy over there) handle the conversion to PAL, or is it the TVs that need to be able to handle the conversion?

I’ve searched, but am not finding what I need, and I’m still confused. :frowning:

Thanks. [/B]

AnyDVD