Burning Surround FLAC to DVD

vbimport

I have a collection of 5.1 surround FLAC files that I need to burn to DVD in a format readable by set top DVD players. What software do I use? On conventional audio, I have used Monkey Audio or Burrrrn, but neither seem to know what to do with these files.

Try audio dvd creator which has a free trial (some limitations). The support FAQ says it supports FLAC.

http://www.audio-dvd-creator.com/

i have been using Minnetonka Discwelder Steel 3

I’m still looking into this. Foobar2000 with an AC3 plugin supposedly allows conversion from FLAC to AC3. Once in this format you somehow burn to a DVD and it becomes playable. I’ve forgotten the details on this part. I do have some alledgedly FLAC tracks in “DVD-AUDIO”, but one of the programs I have been fooling with identified it as 2 channel 44.1KHz, so who knows what’s going on. I tried loading into Burrrn which reliably converts FLAC for burning, but it jammed up halfway. Problem is it is difficult to ascertain what files floating around in the ether are in reality.

I think this is worth ironing out, several alledgedly DVD-AUDIO material is appearing in the FLAC format as single tracks. There is apparently a 6 channel FLAC which could also be converted to 6 channel WAV which could then somehow be burned to DVD, so it is not entirely out of the question that these files can be reconstituted in a playable format.

Anyway, its obvious I have a bit more digging to do… Oh, and I want it all FREE!

Google a program called DVDAudiofile. It’s free and it handles FLAC files natively. It is designed to make a DVD-Audio compliant disc which will not play in all DVD players. You need one that conforms to the DVD-A specification or you can play it in any number of software packages like Nero Showtime, WinDVD, or PowerDVD.

Alternatively, if you need compatibility with non-DVD-A compliant hardware, try Googling a program called WAVtoAC3 which, after decoding the FLAC files to WAV, should be able to encode them as AC3 streams for decoding by any settop DVD player.

PigPenz is right about the MASI discWelder products, the Steel and Chrome editions have an automirror feature which will encode any WAV files from the Audio zone into Dolby Digital AC3 streams and place them in the Video zone. These are pricey products aimed at professional studios.

Post back if you have questions about DVDAudiofile or WAVtoAC3 as I’ve used both of them.